Mountainsmith mountain shelter lt

bounds

WKR
Has anybody used sticks instead of trekking poles like I've seen with the Kifaru tarps? Is it possible to do this with how the connecting point works? Some of the places I hunt aren't steep enough to really need trekking poles so it would be great if I didn't have to carry them at all on some trips.

Rucker61

WKR
Has anybody used sticks instead of trekking poles like I've seen with the Kifaru tarps? Is it possible to do this with how the connecting point works? Some of the places I hunt aren't steep enough to really need trekking poles so it would be great if I didn't have to carry them at all on some trips.

Short answer, yes. I haven't done it, but SHTF has experience doing so. The nice thing is that the MS has the required length of poles/sticks printed on the side of the tarp for easy sizing.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved

Yes stick are actually better for me. Gives me a place to hang my head lamp in the shelter and my coat after I zonk out for the night. As Ruck said the directions on the side of the tarp give you the exact size you need to cut them too. I dont even use trekking poles now I use my Elk Mountain Umbrella for hiking stick. So Sticks for the tarp are first thing I do when I get to a camp.

Last edited:

ScottP

WKR

I don't have trekking poles, so I've pretty much only relied on natural materials (sticks). The best setup (space-wise) is to have the low end tied off to a tree, then there is no pole by your feet. If you were crafty and had a couple trees in the right place, you could set it up with no poles at all. Here is a pic with a stick and no pole at the short end. Note addition of interior lighting.

IMG_0011.jpg

123 4/8 P&Y

Lil-Rokslider
I got mine today. The yellow isn't as bright as I expected. More like mustard colored.

Yeah mine came today too, & mustard color is about right. Everything looks good, quality seems fine, but nowhere to set it up right now:(
Ground is still a little hard for stakes & my wife finally figured out where those 16d holes in the carpet came from...

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah mine came today too, & mustard color is about right. Everything looks good, quality seems fine, but nowhere to set it up right now:(
Ground is still a little hard for stakes & my wife finally figured out where those 16d holes in the carpet came from...

Ah unless your carpet is really thin no one will ever be the wiser.

Snipershirt

Lil-Rokslider
Couldn't take it anymore, just ordered one! Was going back and forth between the LT and the GoliteS3 since I've had good luck with my S5 but for less than half the price, I went with the LT.

123 4/8 P&Y

Lil-Rokslider
I pitched mine for the first time today. So far I think I like it. At first I had trouble getting the edges tight at the bottom. I found I could get them tighter if I set the poles about an inch shorter than recommended.

2a5ypaqe.jpg

I was surprised the Mountainsmith logo and pole dimension marks were on the inside.

Ah man, now you got me really wanting to set mine up! Maybe have to get some spikes to drive through the ice...

Last edited:

123 4/8 P&Y

Lil-Rokslider
Ah man ab man, now you got me really wanting to set mine up! Maybe have to get some spikes i. An drive through the ice...

I used steel wire stakes instead of the angle iron ones it came with, because I figured they'd go in easier.

brunse

Lil-Rokslider
DSCN1204.jpg

This is set up with sticks. Plenty around. I had a small saw to cut them off square though.

DSCN1198.jpg

Someone mentioned using cord to attach the rear to a tree. This would likely have worked here. I think I will try it sometime.