Most Reliable New 250/2500 Series Truck

Howdy Folks,

Need some recommendations on which brand of truck you’d look for if purchasing a newer 250/2500 series truck. Currently have a Toyota Tundra and really value Toyotas reliability. Unfortunately it looks like Toyota will never produce a 3/4 ton truck so I need to look elsewhere. I really like the way the GMC Sierra 2500 AT4s and the F250 Tremors look but don’t have any real knowledge on their reliability. I’m very wary of reliability concerns as my first truck was a 2017 Chevy Colorado and it was an absolute giant piece of shit that left me stranded in the woods before I swapped over to a Tacoma.

Any opinions or data yall could share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Get the extended warranty. I’m a diehard Cummins guy and that would be my choice, but the newest generation powerstrokes are super nice.

The l5p duramax engine platform is stout, the rest of the trucks are pure garbage. Couldn’t pay me to own a duramax after 05-07 imo.

Rumor has it the new 8 speed legendary zf trans will be behind the Cummins for 25. If that’s true the ford and Chevy will be left behind forever. That zf8 with a 6.7 Cummins is gunna be the most reliable combo in the last 20 years of modern diesels imo.

I’ve got a ‘19 Duramax… have been a GM homer since I started driving my dads truck in the early 90s but this model has me rethinking that.

Injectors left me stranded just under 100k, bumpers are weak, and many have a hard downshift between 2nd and 1st on a quick stop.

I’m hoping to get 300k on this one, gas mileage is great, and it tows like a stud but the other stuff bothers the hell out of me. Especially with Bidenomics - you’ll be paying $100k for a 3/4 ton pickup.

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
Highly recommend a new f250 with the 7.3 gas job. Its a great near bulletproof motor and you never hear of any trans issues, unlike the other big 2. I average 11-12 mpg in the small town driving I do, hauling a trailer is between 7-9 mpg.

OP
Fever Buck
Highly recommend a new f250 with the 7.3 gas job. Its a great near bulletproof motor and you never hear of any trans issues, unlike the other big 2. I average 11-12 mpg in the small town driving I do, hauling a trailer is between 7-9 mpg.
Cool. Good to hear. What year do you drive?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Unfortunately none of them for diesel. My 2022 Ram 5500 with the “de-tuned” 6.7 Cummins is the only one out of Ford, Chevy, Dodge diesels that hasn’t had issues and has lasted.

All of them will you leave you stranded/go into limp mode at the worst time. You will want a good warranty.

GM and Ford are pretty much the same anymore. Big difference is suspension (independent vs solid). I wouldn’t rate one more reliable than the other, they just have different minir problems.

Dodge drive train still sucks and will fall apart (transmission/ball joints/ujoints). Keep that in mind when comparing prices.

Unless you need the diesel for towing, a gasser would be more “reliable”.

I’ve had multiple ram owners say they only bought the truck because of the Cummins, and would never buy that truck with a gas motor. They know the rest of the truck is junk.

schmalzy

WKR
GM 6.6 gas has been reliable for us. Have around 6 in our fleet and they get run on pretty hard. I was a ford guy but have been converted.

With that being said, I have a Sierra 2500 6.6 Duramax now and absolutely love it, but only have 5k miles on it so can’t comment at all on reliability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

willtim

WKR
Most reliable these days would be a gas model.
If you don't mind used, the Super Duty's with the 6.2s run forever and don't break. Mpg is about what a Tundra 5.7 gets.
I have 2013 F350 with the 6.2l V8. 245,000 trouble free miles. I did have an exhaust stud break at 150,000 miles.

Get the extended warranty. I’m a diehard Cummins guy and that would be my choice, but the newest generation powerstrokes are super nice.

The l5p duramax engine platform is stout, the rest of the trucks are pure garbage. Couldn’t pay me to own a duramax after 05-07 imo.

Rumor has it the new 8 speed legendary zf trans will be behind the Cummins for 25. If that’s true the ford and Chevy will be left behind forever. That zf8 with a 6.7 Cummins is gunna be the most reliable combo in the last 20 years of modern diesels imo.
Until the EPA gets out of its own way and let common sense engineering take place to handle diesel emissions then not one manufacturer is going to be able to claim reliability in my opinion. If it’s not def issues it’s dpf issues. If not everything around those systems is working perfectly then they fail. I’m all for emissions deletes but that is getting very hard to do and expensive if caught. Unless it’s absolutely necessary to need the towing capability of a diesel then a gas truck is the answer.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I’ve had multiple ram owners say they only bought the truck because of the Cummins, and would never buy that truck with a gas motor. They know the rest of the truck is junk.
The Aisin transmission option is the only way to go. Cummins with Aisin is a 300K mile truck easily with proper maintenance and dealing with all the new junk that goes wrong on these trucks. None are as bad as the Ford currently with stupid issues.

The Aisin transmission option is the only way to go. Cummins with Aisin is a 300K mile truck easily with proper maintenance and dealing with all the new junk that goes wrong on these trucks. None are as bad as the Ford currently with stupid issues.
The older 48re are actually super reliable with stock power. I had a built 850hp rated put in mine cause I added injectors, turbo, and tuned it. They are bullet proof once you build them.

Ford diesels have never showcased a unreliable transmission. Far from it really. 20 year old trucks that’s been worked hard and halfway taken care are still running like a dream. Your motor Might have to be bulletproofed. You might loose a turbo in there somewhere. But, you ain’t loosing a transmission.