Ouray County Colorado wolves?

yfarm

WKR
Was east of Ridgway for a few days, spoke with a rock climber who lives in the area and reported 2 wolves killed on 550 recently. 2 nights ago ago at a camp at 11k on the NW portion of the Wetterhorn basin had the largest “coyote” ever seen approach to within 100 yds, advised hunter with the 270 to not shoot the “coyote”. Met the climber later in the day, said coyotes are never at that elevation and was certain it was another wolf.

Poser

WKR
It’s certainly plausible, however, coyotes are routinely found at 11k and higher. I’ve glassed a pack crossing a pass at over 13k and have heard numerous coyotes in the 11-12k elevation profile in the San Juans. So, I’d debunk the claim that they are “never” At that elevation.

I’ll also add that coyotes in this region are larger than coyotes I’ve seen in the Southeast. Most people, include many hunters, have a difficult time distinguishing between the two.
Here’s some coyote pics I took this summer. I’m going to say it was unlikely those were wolves.

6d993839f03058615a8076343879f07b.jpg

acf8b996ad3ad37df0dd46626820a226.jpg

Coyotes go wherever they want to. I’ve seen them right below the Rio Grande pyramid peak chasing Marmots and Picas. I called in a giant of Coyote while hunting turkeys in NM. Wouldn’t surprise me one bit to see a wolf in sw CO and it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if what was seen were coyotes.

abbrown

Lil-Rokslider
Last year I hunted and camped in the exact basins you are talking about and saw four large coyotes above 11k, two closer to 12k. Likely haunting the very large sheep herd with the two very vocal and surly Pyrenees dogs. Definitely coyotes.

505Wapiti

WKR
It’s really hard to confuse a wolf for a coyote if close enough or you can put glass on them. Pretty big difference between paw size, legs, shape of head and muzzle. I’ve seen some really big yotes in SW CO and NM. I’ve also seen wolves in SW NM and there was no mistaking the difference. There are noticeable differences about a wolf’s presence, even their gait.

Poser

WKR
It’s really hard to confuse a wolf for a coyote if close enough or you can put glass on them. Pretty big difference between paw size, legs, shape of head and muzzle. I’ve seen some really big yotes in SW CO and NM. I’ve also seen wolves in SW NM and there was no mistaking the difference. There are noticeable differences about a wolf’s presence, even their gait.

While I agree there is a difference, very few people in Colorado have actually seen a wolf before. and, for that matter, many people have never actually seen a coyote. If you asked your average Coloroadian to identify a wolf vs. coyote while in the wild, I don't image the state would pass the test. A lone coyote, with nothing to compare its size to, can appear deceptively large so people think they are seeing a wolf.

And then there are the hunters.... you know, the guys who'll tell you with 100% certainty that they saw a grizzly bear in the San Juans because they saw a "big" black bear in a brown color phase. Hunters are some of the biggest exaggerators and liars out there. We all know those guys who see a 14 point buck every time they go hunting.

I don't doubt wolves are in the area. However, as previously stated, dead wolves would be all over the news. Twenty-five or so years ago, west of Lake City, My dad and I were hunting the north side of alpine loop road. We watched two wolves at very close distance work the opposite side of the drainage we were hunting. There was no mistaking them for coyotes. Size and coloration were like no coyote I've ever seen before or since. Later in that trip, I was hunting near the south end of the Alpine Plateau and heard wolves. A coyote yip from a wolf howl! I am convinced that we saw and heard wolf or wolf/dog hybrids. Of course, I am a hunter and a fisherman... we all know how those stories go!

bradyhunt

Lil-Rokslider
Was east of Ridgway for a few days, spoke with a rock climber who lives in the area and reported 2 wolves killed on 550 recently. 2 nights ago ago at a camp at 11k on the NW portion of the Wetterhorn basin had the largest “coyote” ever seen approach to within 100 yds, advised hunter with the 270 to not shoot the “coyote”. Met the climber later in the day, said coyotes are never at that elevation and was certain it was another wolf.
You saw the coyote at 11k or someone else? Who advised not to shoot it?

taskswap

WKR
Sorry for the photo quality - I was at my camera's max zoom and didn't think to try to shoot through my bino's. Oct 2020, approx 10,100', "somewhere in the Northwest" of Colorado. Follow the bit of horizontal ridgeline across the center and you'll see a male coyote. This one wasn't super large - I'd put him at 2-3 years old, not that I'm a coyote expert - but I've definitely seen much larger as well. Where there's one, there's more...

IMG_20201007_095939.jpg

bradyhunt

Lil-Rokslider
I'd also think that if 2 wolves were hit by a vehicle on HWY 550, it would certainly be news.
There are people who swear there are still grizzlies in the San Juans, too....
Rogan perpetuates that thought. Have heard him say it multiple times. His instafluencer archery hunter buddy from Australia (clearly a bear expert) claimed to have seen one.

Very familiar with these basins and have seen coyotes back up and high there and other places here in Colorado, not saying that there are not wolves in the area just never seen sign myself. There are the Griz sighting stories and Bigfoot too!

Have not heard of any wolves being killed in this part of the state, as others have said we would have heard about it all over the news here. This is the only recent report I have found:

Pass this around to help educate, when you have seen a wolf or sign in the wild you can tell the difference (have lived in MT & WY)

def90

WKR

Sure, if you've seen wolves in person. The Colorado Wolf Tracker Facebook page is full of pics of coyotes and dogs from all over the state of Colorado that people are claiming to be wolves. It's amazing how 10 wolves are released and they seemed to have spread to the four corners of the state and everywhere in between.

MNGrouser

Lil-Rokslider
Living where I do in Northern Minnesota I am fairly familiar with wolves...and coyotes. I trust myself to tell the difference. I'm not picking a fight with anyone else who trusts themselves to tell the difference but I do take issue with the phrase(s) "You can tell..." or "Its easy to tell..."

I've seen too many mistakes and mess-ups to trust the average person to get it right. In my line of work I've seen the following:
Reported mountain lion sighting...actually a fisher.
Reported color phase black black bear shot...actually a timber wolf.
Reported fisher sighting...actually a bobcat.
I often think the wolves "accidently" shot as coyotes are a differently matter entirely.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
And then there are the hunters.... you know, the guys who'll tell you with 100% certainty that they saw a grizzly bear in the San Juans because they saw a "big" black bear in a brown color phase. Hunters are some of the biggest exaggerators and liars out there. We all know those guys who see a 14 point buck every time they go hunting.

LOL! I wish I could debunk this....^

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you know your critters there is no doubt when it is really a wolf, but many don’t know or are the exaggerators. I’ve seen them close and far away they are so much different than a yote.

Attachments

• IMG_0752.jpeg
    IMG_0752.jpeg
    177.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0751.jpeg
    IMG_0751.jpeg
    213.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0750.jpeg
    IMG_0750.jpeg
    146.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0749.jpeg
    IMG_0749.jpeg
    77.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0748.jpeg
    IMG_0748.jpeg
    166.5 KB · Views: 48
I'd also think that if 2 wolves were hit by a vehicle on HWY 550, it would certainly be news.
There are people who swear there are still grizzlies in the San Juans, too....
I have seen 3 black bears in that area. Their color was very much like a grizzly. I can see how people can think they are at a quick glance.