Montana Preference Points Planning- 2024 & 2025 Elk Hunts

NDGuy

WKR
So you want guarnteed LE tags?? Even as a resident I am not guaranteed to ever draw.
When did I say that? I said it's a crime that we get charged hundreds of dollars for a chance. We don't get a full refund if we miss out on the LE draw and give back the general combo. IDGAF about the price of the license itself, it's eating hundreds of dollars for a chance that bothers me.

P dog

FNG
It sucks..I wish ND was tougher on NR archery tags!! We are now a hot spot for velvet bucks. Our fees are way to low for that rare opportunity imo

Scottf270

WKR
Just a thought. What if they made the limited draw areas tag and permit a bundle? You put in, either draw both and go hunt, or you don't and get a point and sit at home. No general tag elsewhere. Swing for the fence or back to the bench.
I feel like the ability to apply for the "better tags" and to still hunt "general" allows folks to flood the draws and gums up the draws. If you want to hunt a top unit, no problem, but you lose the right to hunt the general tag. Either commit to the premium area tag or not.
I think it would help guys who are really committed to hunting those units as it would stop folks putting in for the top units " just in case".
Makes you choose. I think it would clean out some of the draws.

bmart2622

WKR
When did I say that? I said it's a crime that we get charged hundreds of dollars for a chance. We don't get a full refund if we miss out on the LE draw and give back the general combo. IDGAF about the price of the license itself, it's eating hundreds of dollars for a chance that bothers me.
I never said you did say that, I asked a question. This symbol ? indicates a question. And its far from a crime, its a system that you willingly enter into and then when it doesnt go your way you want to whine and cry about it

NDGuy

WKR
7gpj1s.jpg

Felton

WKR
Ok so I’m a day late and a dollar short or $1227 short… lol

One of the other guys stated how he’s at 3 pts and I believe that’s about the only way to get there right now. One person in your party needs to not buy a preference point and everyone else does. That will give you an average less than 2 points but more than 1 which more than likely not get you drawn. Next year everyone apply and buy a preference point, that will put your group average above 2 but below 3.

If you want to draw in 2025 everyone needs to apply this year and not buy a preference point then next year proceed with the plan stated above.

fatlander

WKR
Ok so I’m a day late and a dollar short or $1227 short… lol

One of the other guys stated how he’s at 3 pts and I believe that’s about the only way to get there right now. One person in your party needs to not buy a preference point and everyone else does. That will give you an average less than 2 points but more than 1 which more than likely not get you drawn. Next year everyone apply and buy a preference point, that will put your group average above 2 but below 3.

If you want to draw in 2025 everyone needs to apply this year and not buy a preference point then next year proceed with the plan stated above.

That’s a great theory but it doesn’t work. If one person in the party buys a point, everyone has to. It really threw a wrench in my groups planning.

f5a34b0eed6a1da170972ec19fe05202.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Felton

WKR
Interesting. So could you add someone to the draw that had zero preference points, thus making your average less than 2?

fatlander

WKR
Interesting. So could you add someone to the draw that had zero preference points, thus making your average less than 2?

I created a party for myself and one other guy that had zero points. While trying to complete his app, this is the error we encountered, “All persons in the above party must have their preference point set to Yes.”

So in effect, if the guy that creates the party buys a point, everyone has to buy a point.

Last edited:

TBOArcher

FNG
I find the complication piece of this both frustrating and pretty ridiculous. The demoralizing piece of this, to me, is how the state of MT has decided to not give two shits about DIY hunters and to provide nothing but favors, rewards, and welfare to outfitters and landowners. Sad, sad deal IMO.
Agreed.
Montana has confirmed that you need to apply every year in order to not lose your preference points.

Assuming draw odds remain similar over the next couple of years, there is basically no way to guarantee 3pts going into a draw other than using the bonus outfitter point option or by applying as group to bring your average as low as possible. If you apply as a group, all applying parties need to select the same preference point option. So if you have one point and apply with someone that has zero points, you could either not purchase a point and average 0.5 points, or purchase a point and average 1.5 points, risking drawing.

Keep in mind that last year 97% of people with 2pts drew. If demand on the preference point side of the draw drops even a small amount, those in the 1<2 fractional range will be drawing next year, and potentially some of those with only 1pt. I could easily see this happening given that the preference point cost doubled to $100 and a lot more people likely trying to draw with no preference points given that 73.6% were successful in the random draw last year.
Good info. Thanks.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
From what I read, zero points is a very advantageous spot to be. They have a large pool of licenses set up for the zero point guys.

NDGuy

WKR
From what I read, zero points is a very advantageous spot to be. They have a large pool of licenses set up for the zero point guys.
Unless changed by the legislature or a company like GoHunt spams everyone with a "NEw sTRategy for MT" it seems like a good option.

Usi05

WKR

That’s my option this year after drawing a combo last year. If I draw my general tag I’ll have good shot to draw my elk permit with bonus points.

1 point is really no man’s land right now

ez_willie

Lil-Rokslider
That’s a great theory but it doesn’t work. If one person in the party buys a point, everyone has to. It really threw a wrench in my groups planning.

f5a34b0eed6a1da170972ec19fe05202.jpg

Someone should sue their dumbass for that quote in green.

G8tor4217

FNG
God’s speed boys. Montana was successful in making things so complicated for the DIY guy they have officially locked me out of deer and elk there.
What am I missing about it being difficult? What has changed? Seems like you can basically be almost guaranteed a tag every other year at the least

TravKatQ

WKR
After a couple phone calls to Montana FWP to understand the draw I was still left confused… I had 3 pref points this year and did not want to hunt this year do to some injuries I’m going through. With that said I thought screw it and I’ll just apply for a top tier elk unit as I have bonus points built as well and if I draw I’ll find some good friends to come help me with the hunt…FWP said if I apply and don’t draw I would draw the general but if I request a refund I would lose my points. BUT if I did nothing, not apply for the draw, I would still lose my points as well.
My question is how is there any way to get more than 2 points from here on out?? No Non Resident will ever have 3 or more Preference points correct?

ez_willie

Lil-Rokslider
After a couple phone calls to Montana FWP to understand the draw I was still left confused… I had 3 pref points this year and did not want to hunt this year do to some injuries I’m going through. With that said I thought screw it and I’ll just apply for a top tier elk unit as I have bonus points built as well and if I draw I’ll find some good friends to come help me with the hunt…FWP said if I apply and don’t draw I would draw the general but if I request a refund I would lose my points. BUT if I did nothing, not apply for the draw, I would still lose my points as well.
My question is how is there any way to get more than 2 points from here on out?? No Non Resident will ever have 3 or more Preference points correct?

Yes, be one of the lucky 2.5% that didn’t draw with 2 pp last year(you apparently). Or buy one pp and apply and not draw then go thru an outfitter the next year and buy 2 at once giving you 3.

Yes no one will ever have more than 3 pp until they have to change the rules again.