Montana Preference Points Planning- 2024 & 2025 Elk Hunts

OP
R

rom828q

FNG
Yes you’ll be in the same position next year whether you apply with one point this year or if you ditch your current point, buy a point this fall, and another going into 24 draw. Downside is you will cost yourself another hundred bucks plus fees for another preference point. You have slim chances of drawing with one point. It’s probably worth the risk.
Okay thanks. Yeah, we may risk it since that group can hunt this year if they do draw. But just wanted to double check and make sure I finally have everything squared in my head on how the system works. Appreciate everyone's help.

OP
R

rom828q

FNG
You fellas are making my head hurt...lol! I'll just say this. I'm gonna apply every year in hopes of drawing a tag. If I draw, I'll find a way to make it work. I'm gonna hunt every tag I can get as often as I can.
Haha it's not really that complicated I guess, just annoying and difficult to plan with certainty. That's what we'll probably do in the future, but we're trying to coordinate a group on specific years.

waldo9190

Lil-Rokslider
Montana definitely requires (IMO) you to have a fair amount of flexibility in your fall schedule with the new rules, which is hard for us guys with families who may or may not be in already on draws in other states.

I am in the same boat, looking at 2025 sitting with 1 elk combo pref point and 2 bonus points. I am going to eat that pref point and not apply this year and just buy a pref point big game combo and another bonus. If I apply I will almost certainly draw in ‘24 which sucks. I called Montana F&W and they confirmed that there really is little to no chance of going into ‘25 with three unless I go with an outfitter.

NDGuy

WKR
Is it confirmed if you draw a combo and miss on a permit and select the refund for the general you still lose your points?

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Is it confirmed if you draw a combo and miss on a permit and select the refund for the general you still lose your points?
Yes. I couldn’t find it in actual regs book but it’s on FWP website.
  • If you apply for a combination license and an elk permit, you will have the opportunity to select the 80% refund option. If you select that option and are successful in the combination license drawing but unsuccessful in the elk permit drawing, you will receive an 80% refund of your license fee. Additionally, the number of preference points you hold will be reset to 0.

I called the F&G the other day to get some information on the points and such. 3 employees all on the phone at the same time and still didn’t have a solid response. It’s good to know that the people dealing with the system every day is also confused a hell. I want to hunt in 24 and just asked the best way to plan that. It shouldn’t be this difficult.

NDGuy

WKR
Yes. I couldn’t find it in actual regs book but it’s on FWP website.
  • If you apply for a combination license and an elk permit, you will have the opportunity to select the 80% refund option. If you select that option and are successful in the combination license drawing but unsuccessful in the elk permit drawing, you will receive an 80% refund of your license fee. Additionally, the number of preference points you hold will be reset to 0.
That is a fking joke. So realistically guys are paying hundreds of dollars just to even have a chance at a LE tag unless they wanna go shoot a spike/forky every year.

Puke

ez_willie

Lil-Rokslider
I called the F&G the other day to get some information on the points and such. 3 employees all on the phone at the same time and still didn’t have a solid response. It’s good to know that the people dealing with the system every day is also confused a hell. I want to hunt in 24 and just asked the best way to plan that. It shouldn’t be this difficult.
If your just looking for a general elk tag and not applying this year, buy a PP in July this summer and buy your 2nd PP when you apply in 2024 with 90%+ odds of drawing.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
That is a fking joke. So realistically guys are paying hundreds of dollars just to even have a chance at a LE tag unless they wanna go shoot a spike/forky every year.

Puke
I honestly think it’s a way to discourage nonresidents from even applying for the LE. On top of that, NR only get “up to” 10% of tags, and with it being bonus points, you could never be 100% sure going into draw no matter your point level.

Flip side is the general tag is better than a lot of states LE tags and I could never imagine returning one. I look at it this way, at worst I’ll be hunting general, at best an LE. If you are only wanting LE it’s not worth it.
I should draw an LE tag though this year 😂 we will see

bsnedeker

WKR

Puke
At least NRs have a chance to hunt here.

Your state only allocates 1% of tags to NRs so you really shouldn't be complaining.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

NDGuy

WKR
I could
At least NRs have a chance to hunt here.

Your state only allocates 1% of tags to NRs so you really shouldn't be complaining.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

I could care less if my odds are low; it's the fact that I am being charged hundreds of dollars for a LE tag that not only is hard to draw, but it might also not even exist on a year I apply.

P dog

FNG
Well I just placed my app and the MT G&F website was slowwwwwww. They did manage to charge me $1,438.18 though. Good luck to all that applied!

bsnedeker

WKR
I could

I could care less if my odds are low; it's the fact that I am being charged hundreds of dollars for a LE tag that not only is hard to draw, but it might also not even exist on a year I apply.

Well bud, I've got a REAL simple solution for you: Stay and hunt in your home state where you can save a ton of money and have 99% better odds than any NR who wants to come hunt ND mulies.

It takes a lot of gall to live in ND and complain about how tough other states make it for NRs to hunt!

P dog

FNG
^^^^ Being from ND I agree. Sucks paying NR prices but no one makes me do it. I drew the Big Game combo last year and shot a muley buck but didnt bring home an elk. Spent 10 days trying and hunted hard. I just wasnt in the right spot at the right time. Saw many elk harvested around me on public land. Fingers are crossed for 2023!!

bmart2622

WKR

Puke
So you want guarnteed LE tags?? Even as a resident I am not guaranteed to ever draw.