MKC knife reviews......in progress!

fwafwow

WKR
I just cringe when I see people spending 300 plus on a screwed on scale knife (not necessarily this company) that isn’t even that sharp.
I bought two customs from someone I believe is “known” - one for me and one for a hunting buddy. Damascus blades and beautiful wood handles. I didn’t realize until a long time after receipt that neither of the knives had an edge. The maker was embarrassed and fixed it, but I’m an idiot for not noticing. (But neither did my buddy.)

NDGuy

WKR
I just cringe when I see people spending 300 plus on a screwed on scale knife (not necessarily this company) that isn’t even that sharp.

I may be in the minority but I don’t think most companies out there are doing hunters any justice with thick steel, blocky scales, and coated blades. But that’s what the market seems to want.

The drop business model is obviously working.
I like MKC because of the owner who's an ABS Mastermith that won't put out a shit product. Supports causes I stand behind and his knives are scary sharp and well designed.

But yes, would like to see some more wood/micarta knives. But that isn't what MKC is..they are a production knife company run by an ABS Mastersmith

TheTone

WKR
Might destroy it but I’d start with some flitz on a qtip, if that dosnt work head to the automotive department and get some 2000 grid wet sandpaper.

With all due respect, as I see and know some of these style knives as popular, high quality options; I can’t for the life of me wrap my head around buying a screwed on scale production knife when many makers will make the same, to your spec, for the same or cheaper. Overall just a gripe on the direction the knife industry is going as a whole.

On top of that, screwed on scales and paracord handles need to be taken off each animal. If you think the blade is rusty wait till you crack off those scales!
Couple things I can guess; tons of influencer marketing and a perception from it that the knives are some special limited edition heirloom type item. To me that stuff has been a huge turn off for buying a mkc knife

I’ve got a ton of knives; only a couple I think most would consider above average. They all do the same thing, some do it better than other’s and might have some nicer qualities. I truly don’t see myself ever spending much on another knife unless it was a true custom

After using my speedgoat on 2 deer this year I'm not impressed.
I'm a havalon guy and have been for quite awhile. There was substantial buzz about these and thought they would be worth it.
I do absolutely love the blade shape/size/ weight.
As far as edge retention, it's not good imo.
Paracord handle doesn't bother me too much but I'd prefer scales that mimicked its thickness
I only gutted and skinned 2 deer with it, it handled the first deer fine but the second showed a definite dullness to it when I started on the second.
It also rusted after washing it the first use

Just my observations

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

fwafwow

WKR
I bet @NDGuy could make a small business out of just putting a proper handle on these knives.

I hear you on a lot of it, the last decade has seen a crazy boom in knives. Part of the fun for me now is finding the next big maker, and getting in while the attention to detail is still there.

I may be in the minority but I don’t think most companies out there are doing hunters any justice with thick steel, blocky scales, and coated blades. But that’s what the market seems to want.

The drop business model is obviously working.
In part due to this thread and your post, I found a custom maker who is putting together a knife for a Christmas present for a buddy. In the "be careful what you ask for" category, I ended up having a hard time in picking among the blade and handle designs, and even flirted with a Canadian Belt Knife. The other problem is that I will probably go back to the same guy for one of my own.

Fatcamp

WKR
20231210_095606.jpg

20231202_133927.jpg

20231112_083811.jpg

Knife made it through these two bucks just fine. I touched it up a bit now. We have one tag left but getting close on time.

A little corrosion on the handle screws but good otherwise. I am not nice to my knives. LOL. It handles well and over the last six months done all I have asked.

I used a speedboat this year on an elk, and it was a great experience, a few quick touch up sharpens while butchering but just to give it that extra sharpness again. Good bye replaceables!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I’m really sorry to hear the rust issues folks are having and now it makes sense why I keep seeing spots pop up on my stonewall blade after a season of use. I have been babying it hard per the instructions from MKC, etc and it is not holding out as well as others. However I still like the knife and will keep using it.

I Used a stonewall skinner to skin/quarter an elk and a whitetail and then the whitetail knife on an elk and a whitetail deer. The 52100 steel on the stonewall worked great and touched up on the sharpener really easy. I prefer that blade shape for elk sized game caping, but otherwise I like the whitetail knife better. The magnacut is super sharp and durable with no rust.

I would recommend (and will only be doing this going forward if I get any more) getting the magnacut in whatever blade shape you desire from MKC. The fastest I have ever gutted a deer was with the whitetail knife. Became my favorite after the first use.