MKC knife reviews......in progress!

Anyone have any rust issues with the non-magnacut version on the blade edge and/or logo? Because boy oh boy did I. Was told by customer service that I didn't care for the blade properly and the expectation from them is that customers completely clean, dry and wax the blades everytime before putting the knife away in the sheath. Kind of hard to do when you're taking the knife in and out of the sheath dozens of times while quartering a bull with 1 other person in the pouring rain. Sheath was obviously packed full of blood and moisture during field processing. Got back to camp late after packing out the bull and ate a quick dinner then passed out only to wake up the next morning with a bunch of rust that won't come off. Fun times for a 300 dollar knife. IMO they need to be much more clear about this before recommending magnacut or the ball bearing steel. Knife cut great and felt awesome in the hand but just seemed shocking to me how a knife advertised as "use it, abuse it and pass it down" needs to actually be cared for more meticulously than any other knife I've ever had in my entire life. I definitely would have bought magnacut if they had been more forthcoming about how easily the ball bearing steel rusts. You would've thought I soaked it in saltwater for multiple days. I'm not knocking the company I'm just writing this so other people are aware of the reality of the ball bearing steel before they drop 3 Benjamins on one of these knives like I just did.

I'm in the same boat. I gutted 1 deer with it, washed it off in the sink with soap and water, and the next morning the edge was rusty. I was very disappointed and not anywhere did I read that I need to wash, dry and wax my knife.

I like the knife but the fact it rusted immediately was a huge disappointment. And I bought the gucci orange ceracoat speedgoat.

I hope my orange gucci Blackfoot doesn't do the same thing.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Had a feeling I wasn't the only one. Bummer to hear it happened to you too. I bought mine earlier this Fall as a commemorative knife for the shiras tag I was drawn for this year and definitely should have went with a different company/steel. The last thing I want to do every night after a long day in the woods is have to babysit a 300 dollar knife and the fact that this is their expectation for their customers is completely mind blowing to me. I'm sure your Blackfoot will rust just the same. I even pre waxed my blade before the hunt with their blade wax and it still rusted that quick/badly.

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
Have heard nothing but good things about these knives until this thread. The rusting would be frustrating. Good thing for me I rarely have a chance to try and buy these knives because I typically hate playing the see who can get in the fastest and get one before they sell out in the blink of an eye game. I have been thinking about getting one for my son as one of those gifts you get for a lifetime though. I’ll definitely stick to a magnacut if I do!

D S 319

WKR
I’ve had issues with rusting myself.. very disappointing I figure if I buy again I’ll only do magnacut.

fwafwow

WKR
I have to admit @MuleDeerMike that I assumed your post was an isolated experience and it was next to impossible for a blade to rust overnight, especially if it’s dried off. But now you and the others have my attention. I don’t typically carry wax with me and just use it on my high end blades that are the equivalent to safe queens. And for field knives I wash and dry them and don’t leave them in a sheath, but that’s often because that’s indoors.

aaron600rr

Lil-Rokslider
Just wanted to post, I have a Mag Speedgoat and a Mini-Speedgoat. Love the size and shape of both. Hate paracord handles, had them replaced with micarta. The magnacut blade seems flawless, the other- just no. Sloppy all around, under some magnification the tip looked like a ball point pen, edge dipped at the heel, rust’s like it’s job is to be rusty.
Issue with MKC imo is they pump out too many knives for the edges to be pristine. I'd much rather a custom knife from JD Custom knives or AA Forge etc....

fwafwow

WKR
After doing a little digging, it looks like there's lots of info on the MKC website about knife care and the risk of rust, including in the FAQs. Here's a pretty detailed video that warns of the risk of rust and provides a pretty simple solution (use the wax) and even makes clear that you should avoid using the sheath when it's wet/bloody, and that rust is to be expected on the edge and logo if you don't take these steps -
A search of the site for "rust" also does give quite a few results on knife care - including this detailed text version of advice - https://www.montanaknifecompany.com...ives-from-rusting?_pos=1&_sid=e4570d220&_ss=r

IMHO maybe these warnings could be more prominently displayed, or linked higher in the pages, as maybe they assume that customers are more familiar with these issues. And I don't think the risk of rust is a defect - it's a trade-off compared to other steel options. But clearly I'm not as familiar with the various steels and care for same as I need to be.

This is not a problem isolated to MKC. They use a high carbon steel for some of their models and because of that type of steel, yes they can flash rust. There are many more pros to high carbon steel than there are cons IMO but the biggest con is they flash rust.

People buy knives everyday and think that there is zero care required for the tool. When it comes to carbon steel you basically have to baby it or yes it will flash rust or at minimum discolor. The plus side to this is that it is only a surface issue and no pitting. Clean it off and oil it and it's good to go. If you want a knife that doesnt require as much immediate care, magnacut would be the way to go. Buyers just need to understand the difference in the metal they are buying.

After doing a little digging, it looks like there's lots of info on the MKC website about knife care and the risk of rust, including in the FAQs. Here's a pretty detailed video that warns of the risk of rust and provides a pretty simple solution (use the wax) and even makes clear that you should avoid using the sheath when it's wet/bloody, and that rust is to be expected on the edge and logo if you don't take these steps -
A search of the site for "rust" also does give quite a few results on knife care - including this detailed text version of advice - https://www.montanaknifecompany.com...ives-from-rusting?_pos=1&_sid=e4570d220&_ss=r

IMHO maybe these warnings could be more prominently displayed, or linked higher in the pages, as maybe they assume that customers are more familiar with these issues. And I don't think the risk of rust is a defect - it's a trade-off compared to other steel options. But clearly I'm not as familiar with the various steels and care for same as I need to be.
They definitely tip-toe around the fact that it'll rust. IMO I think they need to make it much more clear and be more prominently displayed on the site so us non-metallurgist and hobby metallugist guys actually understand what will happen after quartering one animal. What are you supposed to do with the knife if you can't put it in the sheath? Especially when it's wet, dark and you're in the middle of the mountains for another night or two. Just throw it in your pack? Wtf. Lol. That makes zero sense.

I tried cleaning it off with oil and it didn't budge. I'm wondering if I should take steel wool to it or if that will destroy the logo?

fwafwow

WKR
They definitely tip-toe around the fact that it'll rust. IMO I think they need to make it much more clear and be more prominently displayed on the site so us non-metallurgist and hobby metallugist guys actually understand what will happen after quartering one animal.
I agree the information could be easier to find - or more obvious that you need to know and understand the steel chosen. I don't think it needs to be a warning, but it can instead be listed as how the pros come with cons. And if you want easier maintenance, to go with the alternative steel (and realize the trade-offs).
What are you supposed to do with the knife if you can't put it in the sheath? Especially when it's wet, dark and you're in the middle of the mountains for another night or two. Just throw it in your pack? Wtf. Lol. That makes zero sense.
Great question. To me it goes hand-in-hand with informing the customer. If you are only going to be in the back country, maybe the Magnacut is the way to go. But I also wonder if a coat of the wax goes a long way towards mitigating a damp sheath? I'm already wondering weather my Valkyrie Jag Wax would be sufficient (it's in hand and a small container) instead of the MKC wax - and I've yet to purchase an MKC knife.
I tried cleaning it off with oil and it didn't budge. I'm wondering if I should take steel wool to it or if that will destroy the logo?
Someone with knowledge can probably be more helpful on these questions, but from the video, it sounded like a bit of rust isn't the end of the world. And I bet if you want to sell yours, there are plenty of us who would buy it from you.

I agree the information could be easier to find - or more obvious that you need to know and understand the steel chosen. I don't think it needs to be a warning, but it can instead be listed as how the pros come with cons. And if you want easier maintenance, to go with the alternative steel (and realize the trade-offs).

Great question. To me it goes hand-in-hand with informing the customer. If you are only going to be in the back country, maybe the Magnacut is the way to go. But I also wonder if a coat of the wax goes a long way towards mitigating a damp sheath? I'm already wondering weather my Valkyrie Jag Wax would be sufficient (it's in hand and a small container) instead of the MKC wax - and I've yet to purchase an MKC knife.

Someone with knowledge can probably be more helpful on these questions, but from the video, it sounded like a bit of rust isn't the end of the world. And I bet if you want to sell yours, there are plenty of us who would buy it from you.
It was coated with the MKC wax when I went into the field before I used it. I have since loaded the blade with wax a couple times and took it in and out of the sheath trying to pack the sheath with it, similar to how you pre oil a needle nose plier sheath for salmon fishing in the salt. We'll see how it goes. I don't want to sell it because it did work great on the moose but I'd be down to trade for a magnacut if someone was interested. When I contacted MKC they said to mail it back in and they'd do their best to get it looking like new again which was cool of them, but that's really not a long term solution to my style of hunting. I'm not giving up on the knife yet.

Like I said before, I just wanted to bring awareness to the rust issue and felt the thread where the review is occurring was a good place to bring it up and a good addition to the thread.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I have to admit @MuleDeerMike that I assumed your post was an isolated experience and it was next to impossible for a blade to rust overnight, especially if it’s dried off. But now you and the others have my attention. I don’t typically carry wax with me and just use it on my high end blades that are the equivalent to safe queens. And for field knives I wash and dry them and don’t leave them in a sheath, but that’s often because that’s indoors.
I've had D2 rust in an afternoon, and that is almost stainless. There is a reason I'm so excited about Magnacut, an edge and characteristics like V4 with corrosion resistance like S30V. I will not buy carbon steel knives.

Fatcamp

WKR
Perfect match!

seriously wanna hear if it’ll do a whole buck quarter process. You got three chances, don’t screw it up Lol

Cut up the first buck today with the Blackfoot.

No problems, still sharp at the end. Couple weeks until deer #2. I won't sharpen it in the meantime.

Lawnboi

WKR
They definitely tip-toe around the fact that it'll rust. IMO I think they need to make it much more clear and be more prominently displayed on the site so us non-metallurgist and hobby metallugist guys actually understand what will happen after quartering one animal. What are you supposed to do with the knife if you can't put it in the sheath? Especially when it's wet, dark and you're in the middle of the mountains for another night or two. Just throw it in your pack? Wtf. Lol. That makes zero sense.

Might destroy it but I’d start with some flitz on a qtip, if that dosnt work head to the automotive department and get some 2000 grid wet sandpaper.

With all due respect, as I see and know some of these style knives as popular, high quality options; I can’t for the life of me wrap my head around buying a screwed on scale production knife when many makers will make the same, to your spec, for the same or cheaper. Overall just a gripe on the direction the knife industry is going as a whole.

On top of that, screwed on scales and paracord handles need to be taken off each animal. If you think the blade is rusty wait till you crack off those scales!

fwafwow

WKR
With all due respect, as I see and know some of these style knives as popular, high quality options; I can’t for the life of me wrap my head around buying a screwed on scale production knife when many makers will make the same, to your spec, for the same or cheaper. Overall just a gripe on the direction the knife industry is going as a whole.
Well said. I am willing to pay (and have paid) more for a custom, and I’d certainly be willing to pay less for equal or better. I’ve also fallen into the “drop” hysteria, with more than one custom maker.

But I’m also lazy and prone to want instant gratification, or at least instant access to the info I want in the way I’m used to getting it. I like to see the pictures of what is offered, and sometimes available, and to read about the specs, steel, options, etc. - and to see the prices. On this front, MKC is doing a good job IMHO.

I’m not a fan of the custom makers who (essentially) say “just scroll through my Instagram feed and tell me which you like and then email, call or DM me and I will tell you the options, costs and timing.” I’ve done that before and ended up with a couple of beautiful knives, but I’ve never used any of them. (Definitely my fault.)

I realize the difference isn’t substantive, it’s marketing. And a custom maker may be operating solo and not be tech savvy (or think that’s a good use of time or money). And the bigger makers are probably leveraging the tech and trading for large (or mass) production.

Anyway, I want both. This seems like a good example - http://charlesmayknives.com/example-knives/. And I bet @NDGuy has a few more to suggest.

Lawnboi

WKR
Well said. I am willing to pay (and have paid) more for a custom, and I’d certainly be willing to pay less for equal or better. I’ve also fallen into the “drop” hysteria, with more than one custom maker.

But I’m also lazy and prone to want instant gratification, or at least instant access to the info I want in the way I’m used to getting it. I like to see the pictures of what is offered, and sometimes available, and to read about the specs, steel, options, etc. - and to see the prices. On this front, MKC is doing a good job IMHO.

I’m not a fan of the custom makers who (essentially) say “just scroll through my Instagram feed and tell me which you like and then email, call or DM me and I will tell you the options, costs and timing.” I’ve done that before and ended up with a couple of beautiful knives, but I’ve never used any of them. (Definitely my fault.)

I realize the difference isn’t substantive, it’s marketing. And a custom maker may be operating solo and not be tech savvy (or think that’s a good use of time or money). And the bigger makers are probably leveraging the tech and trading for large (or mass) production.

Anyway, I want both. This seems like a good example - http://charlesmayknives.com/example-knives/. And I bet @NDGuy has a few more to suggest.
I bet @NDGuy could make a small business out of just putting a proper handle on these knives.

I hear you on a lot of it, the last decade has seen a crazy boom in knives. Part of the fun for me now is finding the next big maker, and getting in while the attention to detail is still there.

I just cringe when I see people spending 300 plus on a screwed on scale knife (not necessarily this company) that isn’t even that sharp.

I may be in the minority but I don’t think most companies out there are doing hunters any justice with thick steel, blocky scales, and coated blades. But that’s what the market seems to want.

The drop business model is obviously working.

Last edited: