MKC knife reviews......in progress!

mrgreen

WKR
Just wanted to post, I have a Mag Speedgoat and a Mini-Speedgoat. Love the size and shape of both. Hate paracord handles, had them replaced with micarta. The magnacut blade seems flawless, the other- just no. Sloppy all around, under some magnification the tip looked like a ball point pen, edge dipped at the heel, rust’s like it’s job is to be rusty.

I have a few of their knives and so far I am impressed in the craftsmanship. I value the fact they are USA made also. A rarity these days.

Attachments

• IMG_6836.jpeg
    IMG_6836.jpeg
    441.5 KB · Views: 77

mrgreen

WKR
I’m waiting for the Mini-Speedgoat in magnacut, recently announced in a vid by Josh Smith. I think that shape is a perfect bird & trout.
I’m a flyfisher who likes eating trout, so the knife in my vest gets used and magnacut is great against blood and water.

Does anyone know if there someone out there that makes custom handles for the speed goat? Like the argali knives.

How would the Blackfoot perform on a shiras moose? Drew a once in a lifetime tag this year and want to get a new knife to commemorate it. Likely the only moose it will ever process and will use it on deer, elk, bear, etc. every year after.

Anyone have links to field reviews, or personal field reviews, of these knives? I'm looking at picking up a Stonewall Skinner or Stoned Goat, but don't want to overspend if they're just hype.

Red33

FNG
I have a speed goat and a stoned goat. Love these knives! But I really like having a knife attached to my pack and cannot make the kydex holster for these knives work on my K4 pack. It worked fine on my Kuiu pack, but cannot get it to mount on the Exo K4. Does anyone have any ideas for attaching a MOLLE attachment to the back of one of these holsters so I can put it on my hip belt behind my K4 hip belt pouch, or any pics of one mounted on the Exo K4 pack?

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I had a chance to use the Blackfoot on a black bear this past June in Idaho. Very impressed with ergonomics-it felt great in my hand for all cuts and hide work. The edge stayed sharped from start to finish. I don't own many high dollar knives, but this one gets it done and is worth the cost.

The only thing I wished for as it snowed and rained on me processing the bear, was a touch more grip on the handle. I was wearing latex gloves and the wood was slippery here and there.

Attachments

• 7985B925-D53A-4422-BB21-277DD6DAB386.jpeg
    7985B925-D53A-4422-BB21-277DD6DAB386.jpeg
    513 KB · Views: 52

Owlman

FNG
I also have a Blackfoot and can say that their knives are very high quality!

jroot327

FNG
I have now done 2 whitetails and 2 elk with the stonewall skinner. Very impressed with the performance. I haven't figured out the blade angle for resharpening perfectly yet, but the ergonomics, strength and blade shape make this knife awesome for skinning elk in the field. It is also a long enough blade to tackle getting backstraps out easily. Mounts to the strap on my pack easily as well and had no issues with retention.

What I didn't know about until yesterday is their free resharpening program. If you ever want them to put a new edge on it all you have to do is pay to ship it back. They then regrind it for you and ship it back.

fishslap

WKR
How would the Blackfoot perform on a shiras moose? Drew a once in a lifetime tag this year and want to get a new knife to commemorate it. Likely the only moose it will ever process and will use it on deer, elk, bear, etc. every year after.
Works great. I just did one. Be very careful though, that tip is crazy sharp. I stuck it in the knuckle of my thumb down to the bone without much force.

RPWS1989

FNG
Got a Speedgoat last summer. Put it to use on an antelope, completely broke down including cutting through the sternum with the knife. No damage. Put it to use skinning a couple mule deer for clients of mine, and the broke down my own mule deer in mid November with it, having never tuning it up since it was purchased and it worked flawlessly and had no complaints about the sharpness even after the use. Sent it back to MKC expecting them to have it for a bit to sharpen it, knowing they stay busy. Had it back the next week with new paracord as well which I honestly wasn’t expecting. Got a stoned goat when they went live last but haven’t had a chance to put it to use yet.