MKC knife reviews......in progress!

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
The size and shape of this knife is perfect for what I want in my kill kit. I'll add more thoughts after it gets a little more use.

e9d61b04495f641739c9b4f502b253e5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
The size and shape of this knife is perfect for what I want in my kill kit. I'll add more thoughts after it gets a little more use.

e9d61b04495f641739c9b4f502b253e5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey man, that looks like a fresh bear hide. when do we get to hear this story and the knife performance. We need some convicning that high priced knives are worth It. You holding out on us? :ROFLMAO:

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey man, that looks like a fresh bear hide. when do we get to hear this story and the knife performance. We need some convicning that high priced knives are worth It. You holding out on us? :ROFLMAO:
I prefer to call it "gathering my thoughts"...:sneaky:
The knife has performed exceptionally well and a written review is coming soon.

jtrips

FNG
Just bought my first speedgoat. I looked long and hard at numerous of them before going with this one a little smaller and more slender.
Went with Orange handle, I have a habit of leaving things after a kill.

Several rokstaff will be doing some reviews on different models of knives from the MKC.....Montana Knife Company here in the near future. It's bear season now so I hope to be testing out the Blackfoot 2.0 here shortly on several bruins.
I received my 2.0 today and it feels as good as it looks. Great feel in the hand and I really like the blade shape.
As any WKR would do, I weighed it right after opening it.
Advertised weight was 3.6 ounces and my trusty scale said 3.5 ounces. Knife and sheath came in at 5.7 ounces.
Stay tuned ............

RandyView attachment 543877View attachment 543878
That's a great looking knife. Hope to hear an update soon. Been thinking about getting one myself.

OP
mtnwrunner

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, no bears for our group so didn't get to try it out on a bruin.
But I do have a couple other ideas to test it out. That being said, so far I really like it! The sheath not so much.......

Randy

I bought a Blackfoot this past spring. I’m very impressed with it so far and hope to use it on an elk this fall. I have a knife in my hand everyday M-F all day and I’m so glad I have this knife for my hunting kit and even everyday carry.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I bought a Blackfoot this past spring. I’m very impressed with it so far and hope to use it on an elk this fall. I have a knife in my hand everyday M-F all day and I’m so glad I have this knife for my hunting kit and even everyday carry.
By your distinguished screen name, I just put it together that you might be an authority on the subject. What type of shop or grocer you work in?

I run my family’s commercial meat processing plant. Full slaughter and meat processing. We make all kinds of specialty sausages, jerky, ham, bacon, and other smoked/cured meat products. Just can’t sell them because we are labeled USDA custom exempt. Starting my 33rd year as a processor. We quit processing wild game in 2020 after 30 years and just do all domestic animals now.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I run my family’s commercial meat processing plant. Full slaughter and meat processing. We make all kinds of specialty sausages, jerky, ham, bacon, and other smoked/cured meat products. Just can’t sell them because we are labeled USDA custom exempt. Starting my 33rd year as a processor. We quit processing wild game in 2020 after 30 years and just do all domestic animals now.
Hey man, good to know you’re out there. So if you can’t sell it, what do you guys sell?

We don’t sell anything. It’s all custom slaughter and processing. Any specialty items we make are made from the customers own meat. I’ve been trying for years to be able to become inspected so we can sell but the paperwork involved is a nightmare. We are inspected for sanitation only but none of the meat is inspected. My next step is to buy inspected meat and have my plant inspected by the NM environment department which would allow me to make speciality items for sale. They could only be sold from my shop. Once I get this then I will start to work into inspection for the slaughter and processing side. It’s tough in a family business because I want to move forward and other family members are dragging their feet. I’ve thought about branching out on my own but I’ve helped build this business from day one. Plus, the size of building and equipment would easily go into a couple of million dollars for a loan and some grant money.

On a side note, I still make specialty items out of wildgame for customers if it’s brought in deboned, clean, trimmed, and ready for the grinder. Or, hamburger with no fat of any kind added. I have some that bring in meat like this but not many just because they want the animal processed at the same time which I understand completely.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
We don’t sell anything. It’s all custom slaughter and processing. Any specialty items we make are made from the customers own meat. I’ve been trying for years to be able to become inspected so we can sell but the paperwork involved is a nightmare. We are inspected for sanitation only but none of the meat is inspected. My next step is to buy inspected meat and have my plant inspected by the NM environment department which would allow me to make speciality items for sale. They could only be sold from my shop. Once I get this then I will start to work into inspection for the slaughter and processing side. It’s tough in a family business because I want to move forward and other family members are dragging their feet. I’ve thought about branching out on my own but I’ve helped build this business from day one. Plus, the size of building and equipment would easily go into a couple of million dollars for a loan and some grant money.

On a side note, I still make specialty items out of wildgame for customers if it’s brought in deboned, clean, trimmed, and ready for the grinder. Or, hamburger with no fat of any kind added. I have some that bring in meat like this but not many just because they want the animal processed at the same time which I understand completely.
OK I understand now. Well thanks man for the education on all that and like I said good to know you’re out there. Best of luck moving forward. Small business is the backbone of America.

Thanks Robby, I appreciate it. I always try to help people as much as I can when they have questions about meat processing. I’ve probably forgotten more than most people will ever learn. 🤣

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Robby, I appreciate it. I always try to help people as much as I can when they have questions about meat processing. I’ve probably forgotten more than most people will ever learn. 🤣
Exactly. Love to hear for from you on our meat & trophy care and wild game cooking sub forums . Those kind of blow up in the fall when people start getting animals and wondering what they should do different than previous years.

Not to derail this thread but why no fat? That part of your rules you have to follow for cross contamination and whatever regulations your required to follow?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

No fat in the burger because I don’t know what percentage someone added to it. If a customer wants a sausage made then I prefer to add the pork fat or pork meat so I can get the percentage right. If the hb has beef fat in it already and then I add pork fat it won’t turn out well. Definitely don’t want fat in a restructured(ground) jerky stick. If it’s just plain burger someone wants done then I will add what is requested.

I look at the meat and trophy care forum a lot but it doesn’t have much action till the fall usually. I’ll have to hang out more on the cooking forum.

Fatcamp

WKR
I was lucky enough to win a MKC Blackfoot at the premier of Robby Dennings latest movie. It is a very nice knife and I will update this thread with my thoughts as the season goes along. I have three mule deer tags this year so hopefully have some real world use to report.

Interesting coincidence, knife is a perfect match to the pistol I have carried for years.

20230705_202238.jpg

Thanks again, Robby and MKC!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
… I have three mule deer tags this year so hopefully have some real world use to report.

Interesting coincidence, knife is a perfect match to the pistol I have carried for years.

View attachment 572794

Thanks again, Robby and MKC!
Perfect match!

seriously wanna hear if it’ll do a whole buck quarter process. You got three chances, don’t screw it up Lol

Fatcamp

WKR
Perfect match!

seriously wanna hear if it’ll do a whole buck quarter process. You got three chances, don’t screw it up Lol

I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am for this season. Lots of snow last winter with regular warm spells, wet spring and early summer, and it's a yellow clover year.

Trying to maintain some patience and focus on my family, but it's getting tough to ignore. 😆