Meeker Colorado Wolf Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Coexist"????? That sounds like a lame bumper sticker. There's a reason why wolves were decimated into nonexistence in places. Choose one........wolves or people........but not both. Coexisting is like keeping some rotten apples in the bushel basket just for some emotional posterity's sake. That's like keeping all the criminals and mental cases in society like we currently do, because of some emotional idiocy. SMH

Honestly what the **** is this forum? I thought this was about hunting. Personally iIm really tired of the plight of the rancher, these people own thousands of acres, half of them don’t even live where they “ranch,” complain about wildlife “damages,” while they get heavily subsidized grazing on our federal public lands, and then they get cash from the government when predators kill calves too. Handouts at every turn, made al the more egregious when you stake your worldview on rugged individualism of the west, and bitch and moan about what makes that place rugged and wild to begin with.

And for those of you who somehow think wolves are killing all the game, you might want to do some napkin math on how many animals wolves kill vs humans, it ain’t close and it never will be. Humans kill more elk and deer by an order of magnitude than wolves do even when you only count hunting and not cars, habitat destruction, etc.

I do have to hand it to you though, I wouldn’t step foot outside if i was as scared as some of you are of lions, wolves, and bears OH MY.
You need to check your assumptions. Wolves, not controlled, have major impacts when are the subspecies dropped in the West. They put the hurt on a basin then go over the ridge to put the hurt on another basin where elk are plentiful, and this stops when they hit the Pacific Ocean.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you click the link I provided and see where the packs actually roam? You should look at Google Earth too and you'll see that NW IL is not urban.

Education is critical for meaningful contributions here.
Iove to see some of your trail cam picks of these wolf packs lol

My buddies in NW WI get them on trail cameras all of the time. Should be pretty easy to do since there are so many wolf packs in Illinois. Do they den up in corn or soy bean fields?

Did you click the link I provided and see where the packs actually roam? You should look at Google Earth too and you'll see that NW IL is not urban.

That's pretty positive when a rancher's live stock is wiped out by wolves

View attachment 462774
View attachment 462777

So do we or do we not trust what our departments post in regards to accurate numbers? Just trying to understand from the Pro wolf side of this argument....
We do trust them, but we don’t go twisting them into something it’s not. Wolves aren’t killing 16-22 adult healthy elks. Again wolf mortality rates on adult female elk, which is actually what influences the population trajectory is in the single digits.

My buddies in NW WI get them on trail cameras all of the time. Should be pretty easy to do since there are so many wolf packs in Illinois. Do they den up in corn or soy bean fields?
I’ve hunted north central WI for 20 years and seen the population grow. Wisconsin is a prime example of how wolves don’t make a scratch on deer populations compared to hunters…and a great example of what lazy ignorant crybabies a lot of hunters can be.

They Drink 30 Coors and wander into the woods for a couple days and then bitch and moan about how there’s no deer left because the wolves killed all the deer, and the wolves made their wife fat, and the wolves probably voted Democrat, meanwhile anyone who puts in a modicum of effort has no problem finding deer, even on public land, low density big woods of the northern part of the state.

I’ll admit that we had some hard years of few deer, but that’s tied more to a series of brutal winters than wolves, and again we don’t have a lot of bear in WI but they still kill more neonatal fawns than anything else.

When i moved to the west i thought folks were supposed to be hardier than this, but i guess it’s the same shit all over, people want the credit of living in wild country but don’t actually want it to be wild.

I don't own any trail cams because I hunt on my own property. As far as I know, there hasn't been any sightings within at least a 10 minute drive of me. Also, if you bothered to follow my suggestions, you'd see that NW IL isn't all farms.

Thats all besides the point though because I don't understand what your point is. Do you even have a point? Is this your idea of contributing to an adult discussion about wolf introduction in Colorado?

Take a deep breath and rethink what you're trying to accomplish here. If you're wanting to discredit or debate my opinions, you're taking the wrong approach. However, if you're just wanting to talk crap, PM me so that we can cut to the chase and speak freely without derailing the thread.

Last edited:
@admin, I see a post or two of mine were deleted. I apologize for getting out of line.
I was just trying to keep it directed specifically to Colorado as that’s what the original post was about. Not to say that general wolf information isn’t important but it’s usually best practice to keep a thread Focused on the original topic.

Honestly what the **** is this forum? I thought this was about hunting. Personally iIm really tired of the plight of the rancher, these people own thousands of acres, half of them don’t even live where they “ranch,” complain about wildlife “damages,” while they get heavily subsidized grazing on our federal public lands, and then they get cash from the government when predators kill calves too. Handouts at every turn, made al the more egregious when you stake your worldview on rugged individualism of the west, and bitch and moan about what makes that place rugged and wild to begin with.

And for those of you who somehow think wolves are killing all the game, you might want to do some napkin math on how many animals wolves kill vs humans, it ain’t close and it never will be. Humans kill more elk and deer by an order of magnitude than wolves do even when you only count hunting and not cars, habitat destruction, etc.

I do have to hand it to you though, I wouldn’t step foot outside if i was as scared as some of you are of lions, wolves, and bears OH MY.

WHAT ABOUT MOOSE???
You think more Moose (Bulls, Cows,Calves) are killed by hunters than wolves in MT and WY . I didn’t do as you say the “napkin math” , I have 40 years of being in the prime habitats . You are not informed if you believe wolves are not killing all the game in some areas. Moose have been decimated to remnant populations in many areas of MT and WY.

You have all of this self proclaimed knowledge about wolves but you admit you have never seen a wolf in the wild?? I find that amusing . I have had multiple encounters including MN, Yukon, NWT, WY, BC and Ontario. I witnessed a pack take down a calf moose in Ontario. We called in a pack of a dozen or so within 150 yards in the NWT. How can you have spent all of the time you talk about in the outdoors and never had a wolf encounter ? Sounds like you read a lot but maybe you don’t get outside?

You have all of this self proclaimed knowledge about wolves but you admit you have never seen a wolf in the wild?? I find that amusing . I have had multiple encounters including MN, Yukon, NWT, WY, BC and Ontario. I witnessed a pack take down a calf moose in Ontario. We called in a pack of a dozen or so within 150 yards in the NWT. How can you have spent all of the time you talk about in the outdoors and never had a wolf encounter ? Sounds like you read a lot but maybe you don’t get outside?
It's interesting that you're calling me out for not having seen a wolf. I haven't spent time outdoors in any of the provinces and states you listed. Have you seen wolves in the states that I said I've spent considerable time in? Or do you have a problem with reading comprehension and making assumptions?

Maybe you should take a break from playing outside and read a book sometime.

To everyone:

I know that it boggles some of your minds that a person can be both an outdoorsman AND educated. I also know that some of you struggle with reading, writing, and thinking about semi-complex issues.

It's okay. I'm not mad about it. I do have one favor to ask you though: Before you call me out with nonsense, think carefully about what you're trying to accomplish.

Otherwise, if you don't use your gourd, you're gonna end up looking stupid or childish....like the others that have tried so far.

Carry on!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back