Maven RS1.2 2.5-15x44 new model

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
@Formidilosus in light of the revelation that maven has indeed been working with you and Ryan can we expect a fixed 6x or 8x sub 18 oz scope in the future?

If people want more scopes made correctly, they need to call, email and talk with Maven management and tell them that is what they want.

The best hope in the market right now of getting purposefully made scopes is with Maven. That is if people put their money where their mouth is, and… Maven listens.

BjornF16

WKR
If people want more scopes made correctly, they need to call, email and talk with Maven management and tell them that is what they want.

The best hope in the market right now of getting purposefully made scopes is with Maven. That is if people put their money where their mouth is, and… Maven listens.
Any hints at what Maven did to improve durability/reliability?

So I had one of these waiting for me when I returned home from visiting family out of state.

Initial impressions are very positive.

The scope is finished beautifully, and it just feels robust and quality. The glass seems really good. I did however realize that I ordered an MOA model instead of the MIL model. I had it in my cart at their Amazon store. The MIL version went out of stock and it defaulted to the MOA version and I didn’t catch it.

A quick message to Maven through the Amazon store site and they said no problem, just set up a return and order the MIL version. Even told me that they only had 5 left and would not have any more available until late January. So customer service seems to be on point.

The turrets feel good, not quite as tactile as my NX8, ATACR or MK5, but better than the Credo or TenMile.

So I’ll have to wait until I get the MIL replacement before locking it down on a Howa Mini 6.5 Grendel and trying it out. But, initial impression is this one is a winner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Wyo_hntr

WKR
The only scope that went through the Eval and didn’t lose zero on the drop portion (but did have others issues) is the Vortex Gen III 3-36x. Otherwise, I haven’t seen scopes that make it through the full Eval have issues at certain round counts.

I know this is getting into the weeds here but...in I go.

If cost was taken out of the equation, and just considering reticle, magnification, etc...

Minox zp5 5-25x56 thlr or this Maven?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR

If cost was taken out of the equation, and just considering reticle, magnification, etc...

I own both. Minox is on a Sako as a dedicated long range target and varmint gun. Maven is on a field rifle that goes everywhere and is “general purpose”…

For general purpose big game hunting, for me, it’s the Maven. Lower magnification and saving half a pound is nice.

The Minox is a hell of a scope and could also be used for general purpose big game hunting easily. It’s on the heavy side for me for field carrying and off hand shots.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU

Provide the Mavens continue to function properly, for general use the RS1.2. For legit long range, or if the absolute best extreme low light or night time use is required, the Minox with THLR.

Beetroot

Lil-Rokslider
@Formidilosus in light of the revelation that maven has indeed been working with you and Ryan can we expect a fixed 6x or 8x sub 18 oz scope in the future?
What's the appeal of a fixed magnification scope? Just that its cheaper?

Other than a ridiculous amount of elevation the only benefit to the SWFA 6x42 over the 3-9 is its half the price and a wider FOV.

Drenalin

.WKR
What's the appeal of a fixed magnification scope? Just that its cheaper?

Other than a ridiculous amount of elevation the only benefit to the SWFA 6x42 over the 3-9 is its half the price and a wider FOV.
Those aren’t insignificant benefits. I like the fixed 6 because it’s incrementally simpler, less moving parts is less to go wrong (in theory), and if I’m not shooting past 500 yards any additional magnification is completely unnecessary. If I were shooting further, I’d give up those benefits for more magnification.

Jimbee

WKR
Is no one going to talk about the free gift card and giant sticker that came with the bundle? My shop fridge has another sticker and my wife is getting a surprise tee shirt.

sndmn11

Well Known pink hat wearing Rokslider
Is no one going to talk about the free gift card and giant sticker that came with the bundle? My shop fridge has another sticker and my wife is getting a surprise tee shirt.

I couldn't get either of those die cut pie plate decals to stick to anything :(

Beetroot

Lil-Rokslider
Those aren’t insignificant benefits. I like the fixed 6 because it’s incrementally simpler, less moving parts is less to go wrong (in theory), and if I’m not shooting past 500 yards any additional magnification is completely unnecessary. If I were shooting further, I’d give up those benefits for more magnification.
The reason I ask is that I could see a market for a super wide FOV fixed 4-6x scope that was light weight and relatively cheap. There has been a move towards high magnification prismatic scopes over in AR15 land.

Fixed scopes come up in conversation over on Snipershide, often asking why there are no high end ones anymore. Well there still is the USO FDN 10x but its like $2000.

I think the cost to produce a higher end fixed scope would end up being so high that most folk would just end up buying a variable magnification scope. Hence why SWFA is the only place still doing them as they have an older, no thrills design design that can be sold compartively cheaply.

If SWFA came out with a 6x42 HD scope that was similarly priced to the 3-9x42 I don't think many people would buy it.

kkp005

WKR
I had a MIL bundle in the cart yesterday but got tied up at work and when I got back they were goneeeeee 😢. Any reason I shouldn’t just settle for an MOA version?? I’ve got 3 credos in mil and one credo hx in MOA. I only range, dial and shoot… rarely under any hurry and never at an animal past 400 yards….

I really like the looks of the scope and how it only illuminates the center of the reticle. I hate how the entire reticle lights up on the trijis….