Maven RS1.2 2.5-15x44 new model

TheCougar

WKR
I don’t hate the LRHS reticle, just don’t find the donut useful and it’s a little thicker than I need. Perfectly fine though.
Yeah I didn’t mean you in particular with the “hate”. Just a lot of guys seem to not be a fan of it in general. Poor choice of words.

Why does everyone hate on the LRHS reticle? I like it, and I appear to be in the minority. I like the death donut. It’s useful at all magnifications, in every environment I’ve hunted in. It’s simple enough that I have taught my son and nephew how to read the corrections and hold for wind. I’d call it a push between the LRHS and SWFA reticle for the most hunter friendly I have seen.
I like the LRHS reticle as well

Dobermann

WKR
Why does everyone hate on the LRHS reticle? I like it, and I appear to be in the minority. I like the death donut. It’s useful at all magnifications, in every environment I’ve hunted in. It’s simple enough that I have taught my son and nephew how to read the corrections and hold for wind. I’d call it a push between the LRHS and SWFA reticle for the most hunter friendly I have seen.
It's not a matter of 'hating' it; it's that it has some design elements that aren't optimal. A thorough search through threads here with an open mind will show what and why.

4th_point

WKR
That is correct. If it is very hard ground- dry, hard packed dirt, etc., drops will snap a lot of eyepieces off. I would highly recommend finding a grassy spot with standard dirt.

Direct impact to the EP? Or more distributed as well?

When I first got started, I recall Carl R. posting that he'd broken things and that nothing would hold zero. But I don't recall the details other than bonding rails or switching to actions with integrated rail. Sounds like it was severe! That was several years ago and I don't know what he has done since.

I'm using fairly hard ground on log landings with closed cell thermarest or moving blanket. No broken scopes but also just a few cycles to check for shifts.

4th_point

WKR
Why does everyone hate on the LRHS reticle? I like it, and I appear to be in the minority. I like the death donut.

Man, if it works for you then rock on. It hurts my brain and eyes. Not sure how to explain it, but I find the donut a distraction and not a benefit. Same with horseshoes.

The G2/G3 is another that I just don't like to use and the G4 seems even worse. I think because my eye and brain are drawn to the tip of the Christmas tree but neither are well defined to me, as crazy as that sounds. The G4 in particular would have the angel ornament sitting above the horizontal. I don't care for chevrons either, but the G-series seems even worse.

This may also sound crazy, but the crosshair stands out really well on the H59 even with all the clutter. The really wide tree doesn't hurt my eyeball at all. Not my favorite reticle for different reasons but I can live with it. Very easy to align. I don't really notice the window screen. Can't explain it.

Carl Ross

Lil-Rokslider
Direct impact to the EP? Or more distributed as well?

When I first got started, I recall Carl R. posting that he'd broken things and that nothing would hold zero. But I don't recall the details other than bonding rails or switching to actions with integrated rail. Sounds like it was severe! That was several years ago and I don't know what he has done since.

I'm using fairly hard ground on log landings with closed cell thermarest or moving blanket. No broken scopes but also just a few cycles to check for shifts.

I was dropping things (this was about 10 years ago) on a barely padded mat over concrete. It's a recipe for breaking stuff and determining that nothing works in my experience. I didn't end up with systems that'd pass those impacts, but what I ended up with did start retaining zero much better in regular use.

If I test something now, I use the same mat to protect finishes, but over semi-loose gravel. I still will take an integral rail if given the chance; with a 10 lb rifle a screwed, pinned, and bonded rail will hold up to the drop protocol given here for me, a 19 lb rifle will sometimes break it free. Other than my heaviest setups, my systems will pass the drop test now.

4th_point

WKR
I was dropping things (this was about 10 years ago) on a barely padded mat over concrete. It's a recipe for breaking stuff and determining that nothing works in my experience. I didn't end up with systems that'd pass those impacts, but what I ended up with did start retaining zero much better in regular use.

If I test something now, I use the same mat to protect finishes, but over semi-loose gravel. I still will take an integral rail if given the chance; with a 10 lb rifle a screwed, pinned, and bonded rail will hold up to the drop protocol given here for me, a 19 lb rifle will sometimes break it free. Other than my heaviest setups, my systems will pass the drop test now.

Awesome Carl, thanks for the post. I remember you and Formi replying to some of my questions back then, at another site. I think 2013 to 2015. Holy crap, time flies!

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Houston we have a problem.

As much as it pains me to admit it.
I seem to remember this gun shooting better.
I admittedly havent shot in years due to not having a threaded barrel so I can't use a suppressor and its a 1:10 barrel so cant stabilize heavies.
I dont know if ammo lots got mixed up or what.
I was using this gun so I didn't have to take one of my hunting guns down and sice I needed to burn the ammo since I ordered a new barrel for it.

This group was shooting a proof group with the nightforce SHV. I cant do a drop test with this accuracy.

But this aint gonna work IMO. I'll have to try another ammo or break down and put it on another gun.

Ballistic-X-Export-2023-12-10 14_53_43.209548.jpg

sndmn11

Well Known pink hat wearing Rokslider

In the video one can see the groups above when I put the phone in the spotting scope. I did some RTZ and 5 mil adjustments, and then had two boo-boos resetting the zero stop. My only complaint so far is that the turrets move "easily", especially lacking feel with gloves on. The shots on the dots above are me figuring out I rotated the turret while taking the little cap off or setting the zero stop.

PXL_20231210_220002789.jpg

For the first drop, shot#2, the possibilities are that I did bad, or the scope shifted. Shot #3 was without a drip to see if the bullet would find zero. It did, so I either did better, or the scope returned. The remaining shots were back in schedule. Do your own conclusioning. I did test a second RS1.2 and it did fine. So, the odds are that I was the weak link.

amassi

WKR
Houston we have a problem.

As much as it pains me to admit it.
I seem to remember this gun shooting better.
I admittedly havent shot in years due to not having a threaded barrel so I can't use a suppressor and its a 1:10 barrel so cant stabilize heavies.
I dont know if ammo lots got mixed up or what.
I was using this gun so I didn't have to take one of my hunting guns down and sice I needed to burn the ammo since I ordered a new barrel for it.

This group was shooting a proof group with the nightforce SHV. I cant do a drop test with this accuracy.

But this aint gonna work IMO. I'll have to try another ammo or break down and put it on another gun.

View attachment 640017

So years ago it shot a proof group or you proofed it prior to those 30?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
So years ago it shot a proof group or you proofed it prior to those 30?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Years ago.

I bought that gun in 2018. It was right as I was starting to understand 100 yard zeros and the significance of 10 round zeros.

I remember the gun shooting 1.1 moa 10 shot group with that ammo. Either way its not now with that ammo and IMO not a good control for a zero retention right this minute. I have some 69 smks that are all one lot that have been very accurate in other guns that I'm going to try and put through it instead soon.

Last edited:
Just did a quick up and down to 9 mills on the tracking fixture today and it was gnats ass. BD353847-6614-4C3E-A9DE-CD0E81DB9881.jpeg

I probably need to read the instructions and try a new battery to make sure it’s not a bad battery or operator but the illum wasn’t working just by sticking the battery in.

Reticle thickness looks at least as thick as my LRHS. Guessing it’s 0.1, might even be heavier?

Gun was acting funny today so didn’t shoot much. Factory ammo that was hammering is all of a sudden very sticky on bolt lift. Not wowed, not sure I really prefer it over LRHS yet.

Freehanded through the scope pics of the maven and an LRHS2:
2EED6C47-F5BC-4D71-A6E1-74754D7B11A0.jpeg7445FE5D-E049-4D44-B166-8E0D1953BD4F.jpeg

Last edited:

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Just did a quick up and down to 9 mills on the tracking fixture today and it was gnats ass. View attachment 640097

I probably need to pee open the instructions and try a new battery to make sure it’s not a bad battery or operator but the illum wasn’t working just by sticking the battery in.

Reticle thickness looks at least as thick as my LRHS. Guessing it’s 0.1.

Gun was acting funny today so didn’t shoot much. Factory ammo that was hammering is all of a sudden very sticky on bolt lift. Not wowed, not sure I really prefer it over LRHS yet.

There is 2 clips in the battery "socket" that you have to "slide" the battery into to get them to pop up. If you just lay the battery in the illum won't work. That got me too.

TxLite

WKR
Just did a quick up and down to 9 mills on the tracking fixture today and it was gnats ass. View attachment 640097

I probably need to read the instructions and try a new battery to make sure it’s not a bad battery or operator but the illum wasn’t working just by sticking the battery in.

Reticle thickness looks at least as thick as my LRHS. Guessing it’s 0.1, might even be heavier?

Freehanded through the scope pics of the maven and an LRHS2:
View attachment 640106View attachment 640107
Was the lrhs glass clearer or is it just the way it came across in the picture?

TxLite

WKR
I wouldn’t try to extract too much from the glass quality in the pic but yes, I think the LRHS probably has the edge in glass quality.
I know phone cameras do a terrible job of it, but the contrast and resolution look much better on the lrhs in that pic.

Both look plenty usable though

T_Widdy

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot2HuntU
Anyone have the 15%off coupon on the back of the maven flyer and try to use it with the bundle deal?