Maven RS1.2 2.5-15x44 new model

Dobermann

WKR
As a counter point to provide some optimism and encouragement for these drop tests…

About 3 years ago I was dead set on a lightweight 7Mag, probably a Weatherby Vanguard. I was going to top it with the latest Leupold VX series in an MOA reticle and get the CDS system. I have multiple family members with similar setups and they swear by them. However I still always do my own homework and that research led me to 24-Hour Campfire, where there were rumors of Leupolds failing to hold zero and links to this website called Rokslide.

Here, I found a wealth of posts that often referenced some guy referred to as “Form” who was very vocal about Leupold’s failing from normal use and then failing spectacularly with even light abuse. Form referenced a ton of real life experience with a vast number of scopes and obscene round counts that made his results hard to argue with.

Fast forward 3 years and I now have a Rokslide special Tikka .223 with a SWFA 6x, a Tikka 6.5CM with a SWFA 3-15x and just recently bought the new Maven RS1.2 with plans to put it on Tikka 6.5CM in a Rokstock.

I know it’s often hard to see the influence Rokslide has on the greater hunting industry but I have to figure there are more guys out there like me that are finally discovering the wisdom of low recoil rifles, heavy for caliber match bullets and FFP Mil/Mil reticle scopes that track and hold zero.
We have similar accounts/experiences, and my guess is that I've read at least 50 people here saying similar things. While some might suggest that's a tiny fraction of the overall hunting market, my guess is that there are far more Roksliders with similar stories who just haven't posted them.

And that we've influenced far more others. From the interest in the UM Tikka Rings, the Rokstock, and the Maven RS1.2 if it passes the drop test, I wouldn't be surprised if we can easily be an immediate market for at least 1000 of any one product. Again, perhaps small numbers as a percentage, but still significant in the quantum.

Clark33

WKR
I’m not arguing the drop test is informative and it has influenced my decisions. But for every negative Leupold review there are 10-100 more positive. I was simply pointing out the drop tests likely did not affect Leupolds sales in any noticeable way. A couple years ago there were 10.8 million rifle hunters in the US, what portion do think use Leupold or vortex?

Hopefully more people find this and take it into account when making a scope decision.

4A8AFAFA-0AE5-4028-8C06-D1FB001E1342.jpeg

Almost. But this reticle is far better.

That's a subjective measure.

Be interested to see how these hold up over the course of a few years.

The elevation turret appears to be a smaller version of Bushnell's Revlimiter zero stop.

Part of why the LRHS/LRTS is fondly remembered is the closeout pricing.

Wonder what quantity of these scopes are in Maven's sales projections... :unsure:

Dobermann

WKR
There might be some element of aesthetics and use-appeal that are subjective, but there are a number of measures that make this reticle objectively better - remembering that this exchange was in response to @Dioni A's reference of a 'practicality category'.

I don't have time to document these all now, but here's three sources to work through that should help show this to be the case:
  • The entirety of this thread
  • The thread on the ZP5 THLR scope, especially on the reticle components, design, and use
  • Form's posts on the LRTS/LRHS reticles.
Those should show you some differences between the Bushnell designs and this one that are objectively better for field shooting.

Don't interpret this as being anti-Bushy either - I have five Elite Tacticals. Three are for hunting rifles, but all would likely get swapped out for the RS1.2 if it proves to be reliable/durable.

Dobermann

WKR
Bundle sale was back in stock and I couldn't resist. Guess i'll need to move another beloved LRHS or LRTS to lessen the $ hit.

Edit: anyone know what the reticle thickness is? Their sub-tensions illustration is funny, tells you the dimensions that are already labeled in the reticle :ROFLMAO:
View attachment 637574
Yep, that's got to be one of the most stupid subtention mark-ups out there.

I hope someone from Maven sees this and gets that sorted ASAP ... makes them look foolish for putting something so asinine out in public.

amassi

WKR

Be interested to see how these hold up over the course of a few years.

The elevation turret appears to be a smaller version of Bushnell's Revlimiter zero stop.

Part of why the LRHS/LRTS is fondly remembered is the closeout pricing.

Wonder what quantity of these scopes are in Maven's sales projections... :unsure:

The elevation turret and zero stop is identical to the trijicon tenmile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4th_point

WKR
Reburn checking in. Finally got the lead out of my butt and got everything together and read to go for tomorrow.

View attachment 639518

Awesome. Thanks for the pictures.

What surface are you going to be dropping on, if you don't mind me asking?

The reason I ask is because the last report mentioned soft ground. And the other appeared to be open cell foam. Looked like a bit of trampoline effect too, with concave portions taking the initial contact. And there seemed to be a baseline issue.

It's up to the user/owner to determine what criteria to use for their needs. Just curious what your plan is.

I'm not suggesting that you get crazy and break your setup either! I know Carl R. has damaged things. When I drop setups the noise of vibrating parts can be disconcerting!

Good luck. I hope it works!

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor

The reason I ask is because the last report mentioned soft ground. And the other appeared to be open cell foam. Looked like a bit of trampoline effect too, with concave portions taking the initial contact. And there seemed to be a baseline issue.

It's up to the user/owner to determine what criteria to use for their needs. Just curious what your plan is.

I'm not suggesting that you get crazy and break your setup either! I know Carl R. has damaged things. When I drop setups the noise of vibrating parts can be disconcerting!

Good luck. I hope it works!

Here in the blacklands its all grass and dirt. So basically onto my crosstac shooting mat on the hard dirt. (ie not a plowed field)

Folded in half so 1" of foam.
Its a 12.5 lb gun with scope.

Crosstac mat

Last edited:

Ucsdryder

WKR
Something is telling me the internals weight about the same but drop test will tell.
Glass weights the same.
NF tube is a bit longer.
Longer with a bigger bell. Maybe that means maven beefed up the scope? Who knows…just surprising.

sndmn11

Well Known pink hat wearing Rokslider

Formidilosus procedure uses a mat and soft ground. The ranges I have used are like a parking lot, so I use a thicker pad. The bouncing you see in the video I posted in this thread is because it's hard, not due to the pad.

There's video of Form in this thread Post in thread and you can see how the drips are fairly tame. 'Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x44mm FFP mil/mil Field Eval' https://rokslide.com/forums/threads...mm-ffp-mil-mil-field-eval.252003/post-2472233

[On soft ground- standard grass range- a half inch padded shooting mat is placed down.

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Formidilosus procedure uses a mat and soft ground. The ranges I have used are like a parking lot, so I use a thicker pad. The bouncing you see in the video I posted in this thread is because it's hard, not due to the pad.

There's video of Form in this thread Post in thread and you can see how the drips are fairly tame. 'Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x44mm FFP mil/mil Field Eval' https://rokslide.com/forums/threads...mm-ffp-mil-mil-field-eval.252003/post-2472233

That is correct. If it is very hard ground- dry, hard packed dirt, etc., drops will snap a lot of eyepieces off. I would highly recommend finding a grassy spot with standard dirt.

TheCougar

WKR
Mine showed up tonight. Don’t think I’ll be dropping it but I hope to run it through a tracking test tomorrow on a calibrated target with a static mount.

I’m a big fan of the LRHS/LRTS line and definitely prefer the reticle on this maven.
Why does everyone hate on the LRHS reticle? I like it, and I appear to be in the minority. I like the death donut. It’s useful at all magnifications, in every environment I’ve hunted in. It’s simple enough that I have taught my son and nephew how to read the corrections and hold for wind. I’d call it a push between the LRHS and SWFA reticle for the most hunter friendly I have seen.

I don’t hate the LRHS reticle, just don’t find the donut useful and it’s a little thicker than I need. Perfectly fine though. LRTS gets pretty thin. The maven seems to split the difference but that’s just looking at I’m in the house so far.