Maven RS1.2 2.5-15x44 new model

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Not many hunters are permanently bonding action to stock.

That’s the purpose of Form’s testing: Eliminate variables to focus on scope. In his case, scope/ring combo.

It’s up to the hunter to select reliable components and install them correctly. We’re all benefiting from his drops
That's my exact point. He has removed the variable, rightfully so.

How many folks have permanently bonded their rifles action to the stock? If they have not, how can they ensure a shift in zero is from the scope and only the scope?

Doesn't have to be a permanent bond. Just has to demonstrably work. The proof is always on target.

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
Test "known" scope models until their setup passes.

If someone sees similar shift with two or more models that should not see significant shift, it's fair to say they probably do not have a suitable setup for evaluating.

If someone can get one other scope to have significantly smaller shift, then the setup is almost certainly proofed. Scope slippage then needs to be checked on the shifting scope.

If a setup can be proofed prior to, a new scope shows shift, and then the original setup does not, then there's a good chance the scope got wonky.

As one of the potential amateurs hoping to drop this scope and provide the forum with some useful data, I’ve also been reflecting on the usefulness of an amateur drop test. My thoughts are in agreement with other comments earlier in this thread…

If a scope passes an amateur drop test, that has a lot of value, because it held zero despite the drops. The system used for that testing doesn't matter much if it passes, because everything had to work correctly for it to pass.

Conversely, if a scope fails an amateur drop test, this may be of some value, but is difficult to draw conclusions from. Especially for someone like myself who is a newer shooter and has not done any formal drop testing in the past. As @sndmn11 pointed out, having a system that is proofed with a known reliable scope will go a long way in showing the system previously functioned so if it later fails with a different scope, it’s most likely the scope itself or the scope mounting system.

To try a make my “test” as valuable as possible, I plan to first drop setup with an SWFA 3-15 and make sure it can pass the drop test in that configuration. If so, then I’ll move on to dropping the same setup with the Maven, if not, then it will be back to the drawing board until I have a setup that can pass prior to testing the Maven.

It will be interesting to see how it all comes together, hopefully it will pass and that makes it easy to draw conclusions, but even if it fails I’ll let you all know the results and do my best to help interpret them for those following along.

4th_point

WKR
How long until a bunch of these “lightly used” scopes hit the classifieds?

If I had to guess, there will be a protracted phase of trying to figure out what went wrong with the rest of the system first.

Then, maybe if we are lucky, some justifications for results that indicate a partial "pass". "Good enough for most hunters", for example.

Then the classifieds.

I'm cautiously optimistic that this is a robust scope, but also have my doubts.

And am looking forward to seeing how it all "shakes out"!

Doesn't have to be a permanent bond. Just has to demonstrably work. The proof is always on target.

Its possible to rig up a collimator and eliminate all variables; action to stock interface, action to base/rail interface, rings to base/rail interface, scope to ring interface.

A lot of tolerance stacking going on!

Just need to borrow one of those rigs that Nightforce famously use to demo their scope's durability.

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
Let's see how this goes over.
View attachment 636130

I have a 19minute video of the 7 shot drop test I think I'll make everyone suffer through when I get home.
Am I seeing this correct that test group of 7 shots was about 1.5” and then the drop test group of 5 shots was just over 1”? What drops did you do?

Edit - Nevermind, I’ll watch the video, I understand now

Initial
1000002766.jpg

Drop group
1000002767.jpg

If I'm seeing this correctly, .5" grid, original group was 1.5" cone, with center of cone around the top right of the dot.

On the drop group, top left shots are still technically within, though on the very edge of, the 1.5" cone.

Bottom shot that came after the 36" top drop, is .5" out of the cone?

Sir please re do with 50 round groups. Thanks.