Matt Rinella Speaks to Pope and Young

I think motivation and intent play an important part in making a distinction. There’s a difference from Joe Blow filling a bunch of tags. Than Adam influencer filling a bunch of tags purchases that as a business expenditure to advertise for his company or for the promotion of his self via social media, increasing promotion equals income.
Joe Blow maybe a glutton however his gluttonous behavior wasn’t with the intention of exploiting public wildlife for financial gain.
I agree, and if that's what his talk is targeting, then he needs to maintain that consistent tone. But he does not. He consistently detours from it and takes little jabs at the average successful hunter and its off-putting and comes off as something resembling jealousy. If his talk is about influencers and showing things on SM, then he needs to stay the course.

UncleBone

WKR
I am curious about the owner of OnX owning land that surrounds 16k acres of public land. I believe that is what Matt said. I have heard him say that multiple times on different episodes. It is very hypocritical if that is the case and he doesn't allow public access.

thedutchtouch

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe that's the way the message was intended, but it's not the way he delivered it. He starts off framing that it's a problem because the influencer is modeling a high standard of what it considered successful. That's a fair argument. But quickly he frames it around the general public. He goes on to argue that one elk, deer, and pronghorn a year is plenty. And if it's not, "you should learn how to bake a potato or make a salad." Then he goes on to say that even donating it isn't sufficient in his eyes because "no one appreciates game meat as much as the people that go out and get it." You can tell that to the single Mom and her son that helped us cut up moose last year, or the family that was over that couldn't make it out because the Dad had a job change, or our two priest that have full freezers of moose that don't have time to go themselves, or the elderly native Alaskans we left hamburger bags for, or the several elderly folks in our parish that received 10 lb bag of moose meat from us. And I could keep going. We added a newborn last year so didn't make it out a bunch; but still managed to get a musk ox, a couple black bears, and a couple moose. We had three butchering parties with a total of 4 different families that couldn't or don't hunt and the kids all helped. If the game agencies tell me that there is a harvestable surplus on the landscape and I have the means, knowledge, and willingness to get it when other do not; I will not apologize for taking that surplus and sharing with others. And no one else should either. It's the single best way to get the non-hunting public in our corner when the next anti-hunting law comes around. There are leftover tags in almost every state, anyone that can hold a license could go knock down 10 deer next season if they wanted to.

I will say I do have a massive problem when people are hunting and killing to feed their dogs for the year, that bothers me quite a bit - especially when several states specifically say that the meat must be salvaged for human consumption. That's taking food from other people's mouths and does not sit well with me.

The problem with his whole spiel is how he delivers it. Every time I hear him talk, the guts of it sound well thought out and sincere, but his tone and little jabs throughout come across as just some guy that's overcome with vindictive jealousy. Don't know the guy so I'm not saying that's the case, but that's how it's delivered. My constructive criticism would be to try to harness that back and the message would be much more readily received.

I did like his sentiment that "I could poach for the rest of my life quite easily and not get caught." I agree with that. You have to be a huge moron to poach and a massive moron to get caught.
I would be shocked if the average social media influencer has the same intentions as you however. Many of them are focused on smoking a booner or whatever the new catchphrase is and the subsequent grip and grin is the goal, not the meat. What to do with the meat afterwards is an afterthought/possibly viewed as a burden, instead of your mindset which seems like it's an opportunity to help. If it was just about helping others, they'd be shooting cows and spikes like many meat hunters do (where/when legal). I would also say that your situation isn't average, and likely not what he's talking about when he's talking about multiple kills per year for one person/family. But I ain't him so that's just conjecture.

Same issue with food based TV shows in my opinion, there's some show about competing as a butcher that I've seen an episode or two of (on YouTube, not sure if it's still on regular TV but was originally) , but then I caught something in the credits that said that the meat is donated as dog food. So there's thousands of dollars/pounds of good meat that could have fed a human, but because they want to make a TV show about cutting them up (and judge them based on presentation for human consumption) that it instead goes to dogs. Rediculous in my opinion.

If the game agencies tell me that there is a harvestable surplus on the landscape and I have the means, knowledge, and willingness to get it when other do not; I will not apologize for taking that surplus and sharing with others. And no one else should either. It's the single best way to get the non-hunting public in our corner when the next anti-hunting law comes around. There are leftover tags in almost every state, anyone that can hold a license could go knock down 10 deer next season if they wanted to.
Being in AK, I think you have a different overall experience and perspective. Your motives might also be different from who I interpret the issue of gluttony was directed at.

When I hear Matt's message, I process it through a Western hunting frame of reference, where these animals are a truly limited resource, there are draws for most tags, and few if any leftover tags (AZ).

Maybe that's the way the message was intended, but it's not the way he delivered it. He starts off framing that it's a problem because the influencer is modeling a high standard of what it considered successful. That's a fair argument. But quickly he frames it around the general public. He goes on to argue that one elk, deer, and pronghorn a year is plenty. And if it's not, "you should learn how to bake a potato or make a salad." Then he goes on to say that even donating it isn't sufficient in his eyes because "no one appreciates game meat as much as the people that go out and get it." You can tell that to the single Mom and her son that helped us cut up moose last year, or the family that was over that couldn't make it out because the Dad had a job change, or our two priest that have full freezers of moose that don't have time to go themselves, or the elderly native Alaskans we left hamburger bags for, or the several elderly folks in our parish that received 10 lb bag of moose meat from us. And I could keep going. We added a newborn last year so didn't make it out a bunch; but still managed to get a musk ox, a couple black bears, and a couple moose. We had three butchering parties with a total of 4 different families that couldn't or don't hunt and the kids all helped. If the game agencies tell me that there is a harvestable surplus on the landscape and I have the means, knowledge, and willingness to get it when other do not; I will not apologize for taking that surplus and sharing with others. And no one else should either. It's the single best way to get the non-hunting public in our corner when the next anti-hunting law comes around. There are leftover tags in almost every state, anyone that can hold a license could go knock down 10 deer next season if they wanted to.

I will say I do have a massive problem when people are hunting and killing to feed their dogs for the year, that bothers me quite a bit - especially when several states specifically say that the meat must be salvaged for human consumption. That's taking food from other people's mouths and does not sit well with me.

The problem with his whole spiel is how he delivers it. Every time I hear him talk, the guts of it sound well thought out and sincere, but his tone and little jabs throughout come across as just some guy that's overcome with vindictive jealousy. Don't know the guy so I'm not saying that's the case, but that's how it's delivered. My constructive criticism would be to try to harness that back and the message would be much more readily received.

I did like his sentiment that "I could poach for the rest of my life quite easily and not get caught." I agree with that. You have to be a huge moron to poach and a massive moron to get caught.
Send this to Matt in an email and see what he thinks. [email protected]

I don’t think he is referring to you. It’s unfair to dismiss his entire argument just because he doesn’t deliver it perfectly. Matt is a research scientist by trade and freely admits there are better people to deliver this message. Nobody else seems willing.

I will have to respectfully agree to disagree. Fill your own freezer, maybe some for close family, but a line has to be drawn somewhere.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Ok.

Do you really think 18 year old dudes aren’t looking at Cam Hanes on instagram and thinking “yeah, I want to do that”. The dude is shredded, runs ultramarathons, takes pictures with hot chicks, grip and grins with monster elk, archery hunts all over the damn place, is on the cover of magazines, and has millions of followers kissing his crusty feet. He’s influencing people.

The problem Matt Rinella has pointed out is that he does this with dead and dying animals and that’s a problem. He’s right.
These guys/ gals, especially cammy. Taking 4,5,6 monster bulls a year is a joke. How can it be about feeding your family when you have 1200-2000 lbs of elk meat for empty nesters… I’m glad he addressed that. I think it has gotten to the point where people are hogging opportunities and tags. I see guys on the forums going on 2-4 elk hunts a year. I get they might not be harvesting on all trips, but I’ve thought for a while you should be able to have 1 elk tag out west a year. I limit myself to 2-3 tags max (elk, deer, bear/ antelope). No matter if I just hunt Co or I’m hunting out of state. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor. I think Matt has a good kind of unpopular but needed message

Hnthrdr

WKR
I don't think it's gray at all. This site is social media. It may be laid out in a different format, and look different, but it's the same. Backpackers, hikers, shooters, cooks, and all sorts of nonhunters are led here in Google searches for various things and there is no barrier to viewing the content here. You are sharing with strangers.
Eh, while this is social media. I would say dedicated hunting sites posting a hunt story with a kill for other hunters, maybe some of which helped you out with info or ideas is very different than throwing it up on Instagram or facebook. I don’t have social media outside of Rok/MM. also I think if people stumble upon this they might get hunting in a positive light, also waiting for Robby pay me for posting a picture… so the likes here aren’t monetized

venado mula

Lil-Rokslider
These guys/ gals, especially cammy. Taking 4,5,6 monster bulls a year is a joke. How can it be about feeding your family when you have 1200-2000 lbs of elk meat for empty nesters… I’m glad he addressed that. I think it has gotten to the point where people are hogging opportunities and tags. I see guys on the forums going on 2-4 elk hunts a year. I get they might not be harvesting on all trips, but I’ve thought for a while you should be able to have 1 elk tag out west a year. I limit myself to 2-3 tags max (elk, deer, bear/ antelope). No matter if I just hunt Co or I’m hunting out of state. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor. I think Matt has a good kind of unpopular but needed message
I guess it's because I'm a hippie but I just can't financially exploit hunting. It's why I decided to never guide anyone for financial gain. There is just a supernumerary amount of primitive DNA in us to not be drawn to hunt IMO. I just don't agree with how commercialized the hunting industry has become and the media it puts out. I don't believe in R3, it's just to make money, they should be promoting better habitat management and quality summer range habitat. Now that wildlife agencies are proving the effects of elk/deer overlap and the negative effects it has on our mule deer populations, there should be more elk hunting opportunities in many states which is good for all of us.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I guess it's because I'm a hippie but I just can't financially exploit hunting. It's why I decided to never guide anyone for financial gain. There is just a supernumerary amount of primitive DNA in us to not be drawn to hunt IMO. I just don't agree with how commercialized the hunting industry has become and the media it puts out. I don't believe in R3, it's just to make money, they should be promoting better habitat management and quality summer range habitat. Now that wildlife agencies are proving the effects of elk/deer overlap and the negative effects it has on our mule deer populations, there should be more elk hunting opportunities in many states which is good for all of us.
I do think the greatest need is for more habitat for the animals first and foremost and secondary to that more hunting space available, I would differ with you and say winter range is a little more needed than summer, we in Co at least tend to have plenty of summer range it’s winter range that gets bought/sold and developed most. As far as the elk opportunities I think there should be plenty without jeopardizing overall herd health. And guys don’t need to have 3 plus elk tags every year, spread the love out and it would help with some of the point creep/ get guys through the system. I’m torn between my love of elk and mule deer, but I think I love elk a little more so I’m biased in that regard

venado mula

Lil-Rokslider
I do think the greatest need is for more habitat for the animals first and foremost and secondary to that more hunting space available, I would differ with you and say winter range is a little more needed than summer, we in Co at least tend to have plenty of summer range it’s winter range that gets bought/sold and developed most. As far as the elk opportunities I think there should be plenty without jeopardizing overall herd health. And guys don’t need to have 3 plus elk tags every year, spread the love out and it would help with some of the point creep/ get guys through the system. I’m torn between my love of elk and mule deer, but I think I love elk a little more so I’m biased in that regard
I used to hunt many different animals every season and even chased elk exclusively for 10 years before I got burnt out on elk and realized the only thing I thought of constantly, even to the fault of it effecting other species I was pursuing at that time, all I wanted to do was scout and hunt for record book mule deer. I haven't looked back and have had more fun in some crazy places with my horse I can't fathom. I always couldn't put the amount of time it took to be really great at or harvest a mature animal I wanted so I just made the commitment to one thing and I love it. I agree that there should be more emphasis on tags and the amount that get distributed per individual and the point debacle.

Most guys crying about lack of opportunity and not getting their fair share are the guys that are unwilling to do the research to find these opportunities. I do at least 1 international hunt and numerous out of state hunts a year, and most of them are easily attainable by anyone. Most are unlimited or left over OTC tags. I am always trying to get guys to go on hunts with me, and even when I do all the leg work, and they basically just have to show up, they still bail. Those guys are the same ones that are constantly saying how lucky I am to get to do the hunts I do.

Hunting opportunities are endless even for those on modest budgets. Most people just won’t put in the work to actually find them, or are too lazy to actually go after them.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I used to hunt many different animals every season and even chased elk exclusively for 10 years before I got burnt out on elk and realized the only thing I thought of constantly, even to the fault of it effecting other species I was pursuing at that time, all I wanted to do was scout and hunt for record book mule deer. I haven't looked back and have had more fun in some crazy places with my horse I can't fathom. I always couldn't put the amount of time it took to be really great at or harvest a mature animal I wanted so I just made the commitment to one thing and I love it. I agree that there should be more emphasis on tags and the amount that get distributed per individual and the point debacle.
Good for you man. I respect that a lot. Takes a lot to dedicate to one animal, a couple years back I decided I only want to ever harvest mature mule deer bucks, they are a ton of fun to chase, and have incredible instincts, but bucks come secondary to my love of bugling bulls. A close second though.

sacklunch

WKR
It's ironic that so many folks are nodding along with Matt, but doing so here on a hunting forum thats part of a larger social media group that certainly falls into one of the categories he suggested is part of the problem.

Reactions: CMF

Hnthrdr

WKR
It's ironic that so many folks are nodding along with Matt, but doing so here on a hunting forum thats part of a larger social media group that certainly falls into one of the categories he suggested is part of the problem.
Is it also ironic that he posted the video to Youtube, or has a website or is the brother of Steven? I mean the internet, internet videos and that guys brother have been huge in this obsession with western hunting… and some could argue the overcrowding and overconsumption

I’ve listened to a podcast of his where he literally told people to go to his website and buy his merch at the end. Their website claims it’s at cost, but anyone that has ordered hats and shirts in mass quantities before can easily tell there’s profit being made on them.

sacklunch

WKR
Is it also ironic that he posted the video to Youtube, or has a website or is the brother of Steven? I mean the internet, internet videos and that guys brother have been huge in this obsession with western hunting… and some could argue the overcrowding and overconsumption
He would be (and I believe has been) the first to say his brother is part of the problem.

Hnthrdr

WKR
He would be (and I believe has been) the first to say his brother is part of the problem.
I know, we were just talking about ironic things… I think Matt would probably appreciate that his message is getting shared. A social media hunting site is probably a great place to do it. I think we need to have hard conversations to help spur change, like should we get too many tags and the expense of others, or maybe look for new avenues to donate to promote more hunting land/room instead of shelling out bucks to the same big groups who only promote R3