Matt Rinella Speaks to Pope and Young

Gobbler36

WKR
I don't think it's gray at all. This site is social media. It may be laid out in a different format, and look different, but it's the same. Backpackers, hikers, shooters, cooks, and all sorts of nonhunters are led here in Google searches for various things and there is no barrier to viewing the content here. You are sharing with strangers.
Agreed
it definitely is, all the stories people post on here to me is no different than insta or FB
and I’m on here cause I try to justify it but I’ve been little by little repeating all social media
YouTube was last week and Rokslide and archery talk are the last remaining social media accounts I have left so I guess they’ll be on the chopping block

CMF

WKR
no way besides anecdotal evidence to prove it.
I feel like that too, but let's assume it is the biggest factor, is some hunt-quiet movement going to stop people from posting dead animals on social media? And if it did, what evidence is there that it will benefit hunters to do so? Is it possible that suppressing hunting from the general population could disconnect them further from real information on hunting and reduce overall support for hunting?

His point was if you are hunting and killing multiple animals just to give all the meat away then your just being a glutton. Which I tend to agree with.
Even if someone didn't agree (I do tend that way myself)... It would be just about impossible to articulate a rational reason.

Gobbler36

WKR
I feel like that too, but let's assume it is the biggest factor, is some hunt-quiet movement going to stop people from posting dead animals on social media? And if it did, what evidence is there that it will benefit hunters to do so? Is it possible that suppressing hunting from the general population could disconnect them further from real information on hunting and reduce overall support for hunting?
I think it would result in no change of support of hunting simply because most of the surveys people reference on support of hunting was before the blow up of social media influencers I feel, clearly what would change is the amount of exposure to bring in people that might of decided to take uo golf as their hobby instead.

im not naive enough to thing hunt quiet is going to solve everything thats wrong with hunting it’s a complicated multi faceted issue but I do think The 3 problems he listed are legit, along with habitat being another major driving factor.

Reactions: CMF

rodney482

WKR
Too bad you can't incorporate all the profiting of hunting through social media (and yes, hunting videos too) into the Lacy Act. It seems like market hunting to me. Just market hunting for this century.

Edited to say: Somebody with some knowledge please start a petition for this.
Great point … idea

Will_m

WKR
Come to Idaho where literally everyone at your local bow range has meateater stickers, etc, etc and in conversation with these people it’s they 2nd and 3rd ever hunting season most of them. they are “running” all the cool kid gear, bumping their how to podcast while shooting.

I’ve had conversations with coworkers who ask about some of my hunts when I come back from one and the only way to relate is to ask if the trips are like the ones they watch on meateater. you can see the curiosity on their face

I think between meateater and Rogan id be willing to bet a lot of the newcomers had direct influence from these two sources.

my perception is my reality I guess
Multiple people on this forum have said they got into hunting from those two sources.

Pretty well done talk except for that whole part where he tries to tell everyone how many animals we're allowed to hunt each year or how many animals it takes to feed our family and community. The way he lays it out, if we hunt moose, we're not allowed to hunt for anything else the rest of the year because he's decided that's more than enough for one family. Kick rocks with that whole bit; but other than that, it was worth the watch.
Matt might be taking this to an extreme by applying it to regular guys, but I think a lot of this reasoning started when it was pointed out how many animals these "insta hunter" types were posting. Snyder and Dudley in particular. Matt actually discussed this on his podcast with Snyder. One of Aron's main arguments was that he needed to provide "burger Friday" for his whole company with wild game meat, and he had to provide meat to his employees to take home....come on. Killing 20+ wild game animals a year to give away is nonsense. We know the resource is limited and all of us would like to have better opportunity. You own a company dude, go buy some beef. The real reason Aron needs to kill that many animals is obvious. It gets him attention and sells more backpacks.

Gobbler36

WKR
Matt might be taking this to an extreme by applying it to regular guys, but I think a lot of this reasoning started when it was pointed out how many animals these "insta hunter" types were posting. Snyder and Dudley in particular. Matt actually discussed this on his podcast with Snyder. One of Aron's main arguments was that he needed to provide "burger Friday" for his whole company with wild game meat, and he had to provide meat to his employees to take home....come on. Killing 20+ wild game animals a year to give away is nonsense. We know the resource is limited and all of us would like to have better opportunity. You own a company dude, go buy some beef. The real reason Aron needs to kill that many animals is obvious. It gets him attention and sells more backpacks.
Yeah I was so dang annoyed with that podcast thats all Aaron could hang on to was burger Friday cause he couldn’t admit that he killed 20+ animals for instagram to promote his company. you could just here it in his voice, it’s like he sat around and just found onevPoint to argue it even though thats nit the truth

CMP70306

WKR
So I haven’t gotten a chance to watch the video yet but is it strictly in regards to western big game hunting or hunting in general? I’m from PA and other than people complaining about not being able to blindly hunt any private property like they used to and lack of deer in big woods areas that don’t support a lot of deer we have big game hunting pretty good here. One buck tag with your license, up to unlimited doe tags if your WMU has them available, one bear tag OTC and up to 3 turkeys per year. I usually end up killing one or two deer a year but on the big group weekends the meat is divided up among everyone that hunts so I might take an extra one if the total is light.

The one other big complaint that I do see is the increase in people hunting our public lands. In our case this isn’t an increase in hunters that’s causing it. Overall hunter numbers are down, we used to have 1.3 million hunters in the early 80’s but are down now to around 850k.

The issue I see with this is that it is self inflicted, the people hunting on public land started to act like they were better than those who hunted private land. I’ve seen it said numerous times that a mature public land buck is a more rewarding trophy than one taken on private property because it’s more difficult. This leads to an increase in the number of people who want the extra challenge and the only place for them to get it is on public land. How much of that is related to podcasts and YouTube vs forums I can’t say but I’m sure that is a big part of it.

In our case it isn’t harming the resources, it just makes things a bit more crowded on a few large tracts of public ground.

OP
ODB

ODB

WKR
Come to Idaho where literally everyone at your local bow range has meateater stickers, etc, etc and in conversation with these people it’s they 2nd and 3rd ever hunting season most of them. they are “running” all the cool kid gear, bumping their how to podcast while shooting.

I’ve had conversations with coworkers who ask about some of my hunts when I come back from one and the only way to relate is to ask if the trips are like the ones they watch on meateater. you can see the curiosity on their face

I think between meateater and Rogan id be willing to bet a lot of the newcomers had direct influence from these two sources.

my perception is my reality I guess

You should listen to the latest HQ podcast with the guy from deer and deer hunting. Holy shit - the guy is in total denial that social media or influencers etc have had any real effect on hunter numbers. Matt gets fairly apoplectic at the guys denial. Hell, I caught myself calling the guy a dumbass outloud. Then again he’s in the hunt land sale business as well as running like 5 different TV shows… that was a frustrating show.

I think he’s a hypocritical DB. I’ve listened to him on the Meateater Podcast, and all he did was yell over people and get angry. If I’m the one paying for my tags, and I’m acquiring them legally, it’s not really anyone’s business to tell me how many animals I can kill a year.

TheTone

WKR
I’ve reached out to a few companies regarding relationships with influencers that I don’t think paint hunting in a good light; never a response and that includes some of the relationships p and y has been promoting. Truly disappointing, I’ve begun making purchases based on staying away from heavily promoted influencer brands

Reactions: OMB

Gobbler36

WKR
I think he’s a hypocritical DB. I’ve listened to him on the Meateater Podcast, and all he did was yell over people and get angry. If I’m the one paying for my tags, and I’m acquiring them legally, it’s not really anyone’s business to tell me how many animals I can kill a year.
Not saying you’re wrong I guess

but I feel this approach goes with the approach that just cause we can doesn’t mean we should.
I guess it just boils down to if we want to be mindful hunters Or not
not a high and mighty post
I myself am going to try a look at things I may do that contribute to some of these things he’s talking about.

thedutchtouch

Lil-Rokslider
Coming back to this thread as I have some thoughts after another day of digesting, I am admittedly a newer hunter, have been learning by watching lots of videos etc to augment my time in the field, and live in a state with limited big game -basically whitetail only. I agree with the sentiment in general, but also have some personal conflicts with some of the ideas.

Also when thinking about the shooting more animals than needed but, I agree to an extent with the influencer culture being misguided for many (bowmar etc) but feel like there's a middle ground-matts own brother is a hugely popular influencer, but makes content out of "unsuccessful" hunts at times as well. And with the donating game meat part, there's stories like this one that just popped up in my phone algorithm https://newschannel9.com/sports/out...on-hunting-processors-donations-donors-donate so it's a mixed bag for sure. I like to kill to eat.

His point was if you are hunting and killing multiple animals just to give all the meat away then your just being a glutton. Which I tend to agree with.

I didn't get the impression that was quite the direction he was headed. Now if you had said two moose in two different states in one year, then yes, that would be viewed as excessive by most.

Maybe that's the way the message was intended, but it's not the way he delivered it. He starts off framing that it's a problem because the influencer is modeling a high standard of what it considered successful. That's a fair argument. But quickly he frames it around the general public. He goes on to argue that one elk, deer, and pronghorn a year is plenty. And if it's not, "you should learn how to bake a potato or make a salad." Then he goes on to say that even donating it isn't sufficient in his eyes because "no one appreciates game meat as much as the people that go out and get it." You can tell that to the single Mom and her son that helped us cut up moose last year, or the family that was over that couldn't make it out because the Dad had a job change, or our two priest that have full freezers of moose that don't have time to go themselves, or the elderly native Alaskans we left hamburger bags for, or the several elderly folks in our parish that received 10 lb bag of moose meat from us. And I could keep going. We added a newborn last year so didn't make it out a bunch; but still managed to get a musk ox, a couple black bears, and a couple moose. We had three butchering parties with a total of 4 different families that couldn't or don't hunt and the kids all helped. If the game agencies tell me that there is a harvestable surplus on the landscape and I have the means, knowledge, and willingness to get it when other do not; I will not apologize for taking that surplus and sharing with others. And no one else should either. It's the single best way to get the non-hunting public in our corner when the next anti-hunting law comes around. There are leftover tags in almost every state, anyone that can hold a license could go knock down 10 deer next season if they wanted to.

I will say I do have a massive problem when people are hunting and killing to feed their dogs for the year, that bothers me quite a bit - especially when several states specifically say that the meat must be salvaged for human consumption. That's taking food from other people's mouths and does not sit well with me.

The problem with his whole spiel is how he delivers it. Every time I hear him talk, the guts of it sound well thought out and sincere, but his tone and little jabs throughout come across as just some guy that's overcome with vindictive jealousy. Don't know the guy so I'm not saying that's the case, but that's how it's delivered. My constructive criticism would be to try to harness that back and the message would be much more readily received.

I did like his sentiment that "I could poach for the rest of my life quite easily and not get caught." I agree with that. You have to be a huge moron to poach and a massive moron to get caught.

Trial153

WKR
I think motivation and intent play an important part in making a distinction. There’s a difference from Joe Blow filling a bunch of tags. Than Adam influencer filling a bunch of tags purchases that as a business expenditure to advertise for his company or for the promotion of his self via social media, increasing promotion equals income.
Joe Blow maybe a glutton however his gluttonous behavior wasn’t with the intention of exploiting public wildlife for financial gain.

Gobbler36

WKR
You should listen to the latest HQ podcast with the guy from deer and deer hunting. Holy shit - the guy is in total denial that social media or influencers etc have had any real effect on hunter numbers. Matt gets fairly apoplectic at the guys denial. Hell, I caught myself calling the guy a dumbass outloud. Then again he’s in the hunt land sale business as well as running like 5 different TV shows… that was a frustrating show.
Sounds like it might be painful, I saw that one come up. I’ll have to try and give it a listen.

I caught myself saying that on the Newberg one, just seemed like so many answers were or talk tracks was what he thought people wanted to hear idk
I definitely could be wrong, I always feel it’s hard to tell how genuine these people are being that have a ton lose in sponsorship dollars

Reactions: ODB