Matt Rinella Speaks to Pope and Young

MattB

WKR
I am not entirely against his position. I take issue with telling anyone they can not seek ways to capitalize on the value of an asset they own. If there was a viable solution brought to the table that was beneficial to the landowner and the public, I would get behind it. But the rice farmer that can lease a pit in his field for 5k shouldnt be forced to give up that revenue stream. The farmer leasing the pit is not the problem.
I agree. I have a buddy who gets landowner tags for deer. The nearest public land is 20+ miles from him, and he does a hell of a lot of improvements to help the herd in exchange. I see no argument against allowing him to do so.

MattB

WKR
I think the top person on this is Dudley, who I think also spoke at P and Y
Yeah, I heard he talked. And talked, and talked and talked and talked. For an hour thirty when he was allotted 25 minutes. About himself mostly.

Reactions: OMB

OMB

WKR
I’ve reached out to a few companies regarding relationships with influencers that I don’t think paint hunting in a good light; never a response and that includes some of the relationships p and y has been promoting. Truly disappointing, I’ve begun making purchases based on staying away from heavily promoted influencer brands
I've made a habit of doing the same, and more often than not, when I do get a response, it's along the lines of "thanks for your feedback, we don't care." I know I'm just one guy, but I'm also unfollowing and not consuming content from those that I see engaging in distasteful behavior, as well as not buying from companies that sponsor it.

One thing I recently saw that was super telling of where a segment of the hunting industry is currently at, was of a certain body builder influencer that's been through their share of legal troubles showing slo-mo decapitation videos of a wild turkey and a chicken that they raised. When people objected in the comment section, his response was the following:

"clearly you’ve never interacted with anti hunters. You can never make them happy whether you “hunt quietly” or not. To an anti, they could look at this and easily say, that was a precise shot and quick death and the most humane way for an old gobbler to go. Where if you body shoot them and they run off and you film it, to them, the animal is wounded and now suffering. So honestly I don’t agree with you here. This is hunting page, and I post for my hunting family not for the antis. If you want to post all your content for people that don’t want to see it, then you do that. Personally i’m going to keep posting to my bow hunting family that appreciates and likes videos like this."

He also said in a now deleted comment that I documented, "Some people are softer than others and don't like to watch hardcore violent action movies. They prefer a love story. Others, like most of us, prefer John wick. there's a reason the most popular action films in the world are the most violent."

He has many people within the industry, including sponsors of this site, that support his antics and refuse to even say, "hey man, maybe don't post that, you've already succeeded in getting a method of take banned in Canada." But it's crickets.

Is this really who we want representing hunting? Why does any company in the hunting space see an upside with endorsing this behavior/attitude?

I understand the influencer point and the publications of hunting. On my social media I mainly post my wife hunting, a draw tag bull of mine nowadays. I did post a deer on here this year in the meat pole. I was happy with him and a good buck to pull from the herd. It’s fun to share with like minded people and that’s where I see the problem with his statements. I know he’s poked his brother and they have argued… Then again I still see him hunting now and then along with others that kill a jag of stuff.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I get the being anti commercialization of hunting, more so than Anti-capitalist. I don’t know maybe those aren’t mutually exclusive. Either way the comment on waterfowl hunting hits home on the Co front range. Grew up duck hunting as my first form of hunting as a kiddo, duck dynasty came and went while I was in highschool, now 15 years later damn near every field, pond, slough, creek and river is leased up by clubs and outfitters… not sure if it’s like this everywhere but the leases are nuts, like 10-20k for some fields for 1 season, not sure what the average duck club is but 2-5 k a season to hunt ducks, usually on second class properties, they save the best ones to guide off of. You can hunt the SWA, but talk about some tough duck hunting, leery birds and races to get to a parking lot hours before shooting light. Not sure what the answer is since it’s up to the owner to lease it or not. More places to public hunt would help but any property with river or lake access come at huge premiums partly because they are offered as hunting properties

OMB

WKR
Sort of a side note that I don't see get brought up in this general conversation very often- there's a lot more people in America nowadays too.

US Population:
1980- 226 million
1990- 250 million
2000- 282 million
2023- 335 million

They're not all living in high rises on the East Coast anymore too.

WKR

WKR
I get the being anti commercialization of hunting, more so than Anti-capitalist. I don’t know maybe those aren’t mutually exclusive. Either way the comment on waterfowl hunting hits home on the Co front range. Grew up duck hunting as my first form of hunting as a kiddo, duck dynasty came and went while I was in highschool, now 15 years later damn near every field, pond, slough, creek and river is leased up by clubs and outfitters… not sure if it’s like this everywhere but the leases are nuts, like 10-20k for some fields for 1 season, not sure what the average duck club is but 2-5 k a season to hunt ducks, usually on second class properties, they save the best ones to guide off of. You can hunt the SWA, but talk about some tough duck hunting, leery birds and races to get to a parking lot hours before shooting light. Not sure what the answer is since it’s up to the owner to lease it or not. More places to public hunt would help but any property with river or lake access come at huge premiums partly because they are offered as hunting properties
You should see what its like in the butte sink here in California. Blinds go for 10-30k some clubs charge more than 50k to be a member, and recently the goose "guides" are charging $400-$500 a head for a hunt day (morning) and they bring 7-10 guys out at a time.

Waterfowl hunting is so much different than when I was growing up and the farmers would let us just go hunt their land as long as we kept it clean and followed their rules.

And the non profits like CWA and D.U. aren't doing hardly a thing except lining their pockets, charging 5 bucks a piece for a lottery ticket to hunt their properties, and leasing out the premium blinds for their buddies. Just look at the Klamath basin/ Tule lake wildlife refuge for an example of their inactivity on the real issues and Waterfowl habitat.

Hnthrdr

WKR
You should see what its like in the butte sink here in California. Blinds go for 10-30k some clubs charge more than 50k to be a member, and recently the goose "guides" are charging $400-$500 a head for a hunt day (morning) and they bring 7-10 guys out at a time.

Waterfowl hunting is so much different than when I was growing up and the farmers would let us just go hunt their land as long as we kept it clean and followed their rules.

And the non profits like CWA and D.U. aren't doing hardly a thing except lining their pockets, charging 5 bucks a piece for a lottery ticket to hunt their properties, and leasing out the premium blinds for their buddies. Just look at the Klamath basin/ Tule lake wildlife refuge for an example of their inactivity on the real issues and Waterfowl habitat.
That is nuts, not really surprising since Co is on the exact same path as CA just a few years behind

WKR

WKR
That is nuts, not really surprising since Co is on the exact same path as CA just a few years behind
Yup unfortunately...and by no means am I anti capitalism but I don't think these guys have the foresight to see what they are doing to hunting and land access in the long run.

CMF

WKR
I will have to respectfully agree to disagree. Fill your own freezer, maybe some for close family, but a line has to be drawn somewhere.
Where do You draw the line? How would you determine who gets what?
I feel like the line is already drawn by the state when they issue tags, licenses and set seasons.
As long as meat isn't being wasted, I don't care If a guy wants to cook burgers for his crew. Cooking out is a big part of the culture for a lot of folks. I enjoy cooking wild game for family and friends who either can't or don't get out themselves.

I think what's overlooked is how statistically insignificant the "extra" animals that are being killed by a tv host are in the whole picture, especially factoring in that some are killed on private land. I'll bet by weight there is more rib meat, tongues, hearts, and livers left by everyday hunters.

CMF

WKR
Eh, while this is social media. I would say dedicated hunting sites posting a hunt story with a kill for other hunters, maybe some of which helped you out with info or ideas is very different than throwing it up on Instagram or facebook. I don’t have social media outside of Rok/MM. also I think if people stumble upon this they might get hunting in a positive light, also waiting for Robby pay me for posting a picture… so the likes here aren’t monetized
I think it's funny the guys that don't have FB/insta, feel like this site is somehow way different.

I'm glad you agree that posting on social media might put hunting in a positive light.

CMF

WKR
And guys don’t need to have 3 plus elk tags every year, spread the love out and it would help with some of the point creep/ get guys through the system.
Good thing we don't make regs on what guys "need".

Besides, you aren't getting more than 1 premium tag in a state and the states don't work together. You have to play the game in each state and with the odds and draw structures, a guy might end up with no tags or three. More than likely if he has that many he's either paying for private land tags or hunting leftovers and not taking away from me and you.

CMF

WKR
Most guys crying about lack of opportunity and not getting their fair share are the guys that are unwilling to do the research to find these opportunities. I do at least 1 international hunt and numerous out of state hunts a year, and most of them are easily attainable by anyone. Most are unlimited or left over OTC tags. I am always trying to get guys to go on hunts with me, and even when I do all the leg work, and they basically just have to show up, they still bail. Those guys are the same ones that are constantly saying how lucky I am to get to do the hunts I do.

Hunting opportunities are endless even for those on modest budgets. Most people just won’t put in the work to actually find them, or are too lazy to actually go after them.
Totally agree....

Hnthrdr

WKR
I think it's funny the guys that don't have FB/insta, feel like this site is somehow way different.

I'm glad you agree that posting on social media might put hunting in a positive light.
I had* the insta and FB back in the day, they have devolved into epic shit shows.

Hunting forums have some of that but not at near the rate. I think they are different since this sight is solely dedicated to hunting/outdoor pursuits, are FB and IG doing that now? Didn’t think so…
Also posting hunting topics in hunting forums for other hunters doesn’t seem as weird as public posting to the IG/FB crowd, I think we differ there, share with friends and family and other hunters but posting carcasses on public non hunting forums will always invite hate

Sort of a side note that I don't see get brought up in this general conversation very often- there's a lot more people in America nowadays too.

US Population:
1980- 226 million
1990- 250 million
2000- 282 million
2023- 335 million

Excellent point. There hasn’t been many public land opportunities added since 1980 either. I don’t know the actual number, but I’d bet the total acres has decreased.

maybe these game agencies should look for laws that force hunting professionals to pay royalties to that agency when using the land for profit…

Hnthrdr

WKR
Good thing we don't make regs on what guys "need".

Besides, you aren't getting more than 1 premium tag in a state and the states don't work together. You have to play the game in each state and with the odds and draw structures, a guy might end up with no tags or three. More than likely if he has that many he's either paying for private land tags or hunting leftovers and not taking away from me and you.
I think you missed the point of what was said. Just because something is legal, doesn’t always make it ethically right. I think that is what he is getting at. I get there are different rules for different states. The point was about self restraint, and maybe doing some introspection on what we need vs. what we love doing.

Ten Bears

WKR

I’ll dig up some old research from the first Matt post…yes this by a broad definition is a social media site but it’s not even in the same realm of reach, impact, or function.

Rokslide has 53000 users that came here to talk about hunting and moderated by hunting owners. Policed by many users. Hence the current talk we are having, which is great to have.

Facebook active monthly members are 2.98 Billion owned by people that hate your guts and hunting.

Instagram active monthly members 2 Billion owned by the above company.

Youtube has 218 Million Daily users owned by google.

Obviously social media of all forms is here to stay. That’s where I disagree with Matt at, you have to live in the reality that this isn’t going away. What really needs to be discussed as hunters is how do we use it to strengthen us ?

WKR

WKR
Where do You draw the line? How would you determine who gets what?
I feel like the line is already drawn by the state when they issue tags, licenses and set seasons.
As long as meat isn't being wasted, I don't care If a guy wants to cook burgers for his crew. Cooking out is a big part of the culture for a lot of folks. I enjoy cooking wild game for family and friends who either can't or don't get out themselves.

I think what's overlooked is how statistically insignificant the "extra" animals that are being killed by a tv host are in the whole picture, especially factoring in that some are killed on private land. I'll bet by weight there is more rib meat, tongues, hearts, and livers left by everyday hunters.
You draw the line where guys are killing multiple animals just to get views, likes, and subscribers. And will do anything to reach that goal including breaking laws. (Bowman, mule freak, etc...)

While rokslide could be considered a type of social media, it is vastly different than Facebook and Instagram. Its not even in the same category.
Unless I've missed all the half naked booty pictures and hashtags???

Please God don't let that happen here

CMF

WKR

US Population:
1980- 226 million
1990- 250 million
2000- 282 million
2023- 335 million

I think it's the elephant in the room