Matt Rinella Speaks to Pope and Young

Trial153

WKR
Maybe we should be attacking the type of capitalism that profits by monetizes the public’s wildlife? I have yet to see where our current over monetization of wildlife has benefited hunters as a whole.

Pretty well done talk except for that whole part where he tries to tell everyone how many animals we're allowed to hunt each year or how many animals it takes to feed our family and community. The way he lays it out, if we hunt moose, we're not allowed to hunt for anything else the rest of the year because he's decided that's more than enough for one family. Kick rocks with that whole bit; but other than that, it was worth the watch.

WKR

WKR
Pretty well done talk except for that whole part where he tries to tell everyone how many animals we're allowed to hunt each year or how many animals it takes to feed our family and community. The way he lays it out, if we hunt moose, we're not allowed to hunt for anything else the rest of the year because he's decided that's more than enough for one family. Kick rocks with that whole bit; but other than that, it was worth the watch.
His point was if you are hunting and killing multiple animals just to give all the meat away then your just being a glutton. Which I tend to agree with.

I didn't get the impression that was quite the direction he was headed. Now if you had said two moose in two different states in one year, then yes, that would be viewed as excessive by most.

WKR

WKR
I agree with almost all of his views, so much so that I would like to join his movement and help out if I could but im not sure how to do that.

I do disagree on posting pictures online of your kill. Thats not an issue to me if being done in the right way as in Not intended to gain popularity or generate income.

I agree with almost all of his views, so much so that I would like to join his movement and help out if I could but im not sure how to do that.

I do disagree on posting pictures online of your kill. Thats not an issue to me if being done in the right way as in Not intended to gain popularity or generate income.
I agree to an extent, since he generally qualified it with "to share with strangers". To me that means Instagram, YouTube, or publicly available Facebook pages. Online communities like Rokslide are a gray area for me, personally, and how I feel about it depends on perceived intent, I suppose...

Reactions: WKR

Gobbler36

WKR
Yeah some of that was maybe off putting to hear but I think sometimes it’s hard to hear the truth and I don’t think he’s actually talking about tha avg hunter maybe shooting two elk or an elk or moose when the stars align
hes making a point that these people that are applying for tags all over the place, buying LO tags, doing guided hunts, etc all in the same year and shooting dozens of animals to pimp their ego at our expense is what he’s talking about

OP
ODB

ODB

WKR
I get what you are saying, but look at it in perspective... WHO ELSE is talking about this? No one. So until other voices start getting traction (to speak at P&Y no less!), we will hear (apparently) the only voice on this matter.

Matt is the bell ringer - and all-in-all, a damn good one. If you want to explore ideas with him, I suggest you get in contact with him and chat on a podcast. I did, and it was a lot of fun.

Will_m

WKR
Does anybody know if there is a way to support this other than the whole practice what you preach? The pendulum swung way too far and we need to fix it.

WKR

WKR
I agree to an extent, since he generally qualified it with "to share with strangers". To me that means Instagram, YouTube, or publicly available Facebook pages. Online communities like Rokslide are a gray area for me, personally, and how I feel about it depends on perceived intent, I suppose...
I agree with you pretty much, I don't have Instagram and I'm barely on Facebook. But I do sometimes post pictures with a hunt story here and don't feel bad about it. I'm not doing it for personal gain so it doesn't go against any moral premise. Maybe there is a little showing off but thats been going on since the caveman days so I'm not too concerned about it.

WKR

WKR
Does anybody know if there is a way to support this other than the whole practice what you preach? The pendulum swung way too far and we need to fix it.
I went to the website and ordered a shirt, hat, and sticker...didn't feel like that was enough so I went to the contact link and wrote out an email explaining how I felt and asked how I could support or help out.

I'm not sure how much I can do as I'm not active on social medias.

CMF

WKR
Too bad you can't incorporate all the profiting of hunting through social media (and yes, hunting videos too) into the Lacy Act. It seems like market hunting to me. Just market hunting for this century.

Edited to say: Somebody with some knowledge please start a petition for this.
I'd guess a large percentage of revenue is captured by PR. Some are making money off youtube, but it's the product company's paying the way of a lot of influencers and their revenue comes from the products they sell and are taxed by PR.
At some point it has to be considered that the growth in popularity and overcrowding was/is inevitable. What isn't more crowded than 20 years ago? What doesn't have more participants than 20 years ago? Do people really think that everyone out in the woods is there because they think Steve Rinella is cool and want to be more like him? I've never met a fellow hunter that says they got into it because they saw so many dead animals on social media.
I think you're spot on. I think most people have it in them and end up seeking out information as a result. This poll reflects that as well. https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/which-came-first-deciding-to-hunt-elk-or-elk-media.307626/
There's good evidence for it. Based on Matt Rinella's graph at the 10:10 mark of the video the number of hunting applications skyrocketed in 2018 which just happens to coincide with when Meateater first started airing on Netflix and internet searches for the show increased significantly (according to that graph).

To answer your question I would say it depends on who you ask. Most of us that were hunting long before the existence of that show are very aware of how many more people took to western hunting around that timeframe. I certainly noticed big changes in hunter numbers in Colorado right around 2018, and I remember being on an OTC Archery elk hunt in 2019 thinking that the pressure had hit an unprecedented level. It doesn't seem like a coincidence to me.
I wouldn't call that good evidence. Correlation isn't always Causation. I'll bet there are a dozen events that could be graphed to correlate to that. I definitely would pin it on one show on one network.

As much as I think social media is overrated as a recruitment tool. I wouldn't doubt that Joe Rogan leads in recruiting new hunters over all the hunting influencers. His audience is everyday people, not hunters. Hunting influencers are trying to influence the products you buy, more than bring everyday joe blos out of the city or suburbs and start hunting.
I have buddies that deer hunt and watch Rinella and Newberg, and I couldn't pay them to go on an elk hunt or any western hunt. No amount of social media is going to convince these guys to go up a mountain.
Yea, I totally agree with you on this. We all have the same opportunity to pursue tags and hunt. If I kill more than I can eat, I have the same right to give it to friends and family as he does. We'll have 4 or 5 elk tags this year, I hope we fill them all. We didn't kill an elk last year and who knows what will happen next. I'd love to be able to give elk to all the people who have asked me about it.
I also don't think the numbers of animals those influencers kill is a drop in the bucket in the whole picture, not to mention most were probably on private land. There are more lost opportunities to roadkill, or elk piled up on a sanctuary of private land surrounded by hay bales on a planted green field just for them, out of reach of any hunters.
-------------------------------------------------
You can hunt as quietly as you want, but Facebook will ban dead animals on social before this movement does. It's a wasted battle when there's more worthwhile to fight like increased access, improved habitat, migration corridors, and crossings to prevent roadkill, opening existing gov. land to hunting.

TSAMP

WKR
This thread kind of paints a picture of how we got here. People saying they agree BUT, Insert reason xyz what you do is OK. I'm not pointing fingers but it's amazing what we will justify to ourselves and how fine of a comb we take to others actions without truly looking inward.

Initially I didn't care much for Matt. After watching the video in it's entirety I couldn't help but see a guy who never wanted to be in this situation but wasn't going to sit back and watch his own brother do something he didn't belive was right. I can respect that a great deal and doubt I'd be willing to thrust myself into the limelight and do the same.

He does give off some Bernie vibes about his sharing land and telling us how much game meat is enough, but ultimately its a finite resource and were already doing that in a way.

Bottom line is the guys talking about the elephant in the room and it's a hell of a lot more interesting than what anyone else has to say in this space.

CMF

WKR

I don't think it's gray at all. This site is social media. It may be laid out in a different format, and look different, but it's the same. Backpackers, hikers, shooters, cooks, and all sorts of nonhunters are led here in Google searches for various things and there is no barrier to viewing the content here. You are sharing with strangers.

Attachments

• 1683169428044.png
    1683169428044.png
    126.6 KB · Views: 38

Gobbler36

WKR
I'd guess a large percentage of revenue is captured by PR. Some are making money off youtube, but it's the product company's paying the way of a lot of influencers and their revenue comes from the products they sell and are taxed by PR.

I think you're spot on. I think most people have it in them and end up seeking out information as a result. This poll reflects that as well. https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/which-came-first-deciding-to-hunt-elk-or-elk-media.307626/

I wouldn't call that good evidence. Correlation isn't always Causation. I'll bet there are a dozen events that could be graphed to correlate to that. I definitely would pin it on one show on one network.

As much as I think social media is overrated as a recruitment tool. I wouldn't doubt that Joe Rogan leads in recruiting new hunters over all the hunting influencers. His audience is everyday people, not hunters. Hunting influencers are trying to influence the products you buy, more than bring everyday joe blos out of the city or suburbs and start hunting.
I have buddies that deer hunt and watch Rinella and Newberg, and I couldn't pay them to go on an elk hunt or any western hunt. No amount of social media is going to convince these guys to go up a mountain.

Yea, I totally agree with you on this. We all have the same opportunity to pursue tags and hunt. If I kill more than I can eat, I have the same right to give it to friends and family as he does. We'll have 4 or 5 elk tags this year, I hope we fill them all. We didn't kill an elk last year and who knows what will happen next. I'd love to be able to give elk to all the people who have asked me about it.
I also don't think the numbers of animals those influencers kill is a drop in the bucket in the whole picture, not to mention most were probably on private land. There are more lost opportunities to roadkill, or elk piled up on a sanctuary of private land surrounded by hay bales on a planted green field just for them, out of reach of any hunters.
-------------------------------------------------
You can hunt as quietly as you want, but Facebook will ban dead animals on social before this movement does. It's a wasted battle when there's more worthwhile to fight like increased access, improved habitat, migration corridors, and crossings to prevent roadkill, opening existing gov. land to hunting.
Come to Idaho where literally everyone at your local bow range has meateater stickers, etc, etc and in conversation with these people it’s they 2nd and 3rd ever hunting season most of them. they are “running” all the cool kid gear, bumping their how to podcast while shooting.

I’ve had conversations with coworkers who ask about some of my hunts when I come back from one and the only way to relate is to ask if the trips are like the ones they watch on meateater. you can see the curiosity on their face

I think between meateater and Rogan id be willing to bet a lot of the newcomers had direct influence from these two sources.
no way besides anecdotal evidence to prove it.

my perception is my reality I guess

I went to the website and ordered a shirt, hat, and sticker...didn't feel like that was enough so I went to the contact link and wrote out an email explaining how I felt and asked how I could support or help out.

I'm not sure how much I can do as I'm not active on social medias.
from which website?