Maintenance stage of weight loss

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
@V2Pnutrition So, I'm still well within the timeframe fo continuing to cut calorie intake (5 weeks), but I'm trying to plan ahead as in the past I have held with cutting for 5 months. Additionally, my wife is on board and I need to provide guidance for her as well. I might actually be able to hit my goal in 12 weeks, but she will not and I don't want her to fall into the same trap I did of just continuing to cut.

In the past maintaining weight loss has been a problem, I always tried to tell myself it was muscle gain, but proved with a DEXA scan that body fat is higher than I want. I would prefer not to spend forever cycling up and down by 15-20 pounds.

The following article strikes me as pretty good, but I'm curious how it comes across to you? https://rpstrength.com/blogs/articles/the-value-of-post-diet-maintenance#:~:text=Ease in with calorie increases,were gaining prior to dieting).

My key takeaways are:
-At 12 weeks, even if goals are not met calorie intake needs to be ramped back up (probably better to do it around 8-9 weeks).
-Should probably spend at least as long as was spent cutting in ramping up and holding the increased intake.

Now, how should I determine were to stop increasing and hold?

I figure other people surely have the same questions.

One other question, if I have a really demanding day physically (say a 30 mile run), obviously intake needs to be increased during the activity, is there any place for increased intake the next day, or should I try and consume the entire amount of excess calories burned during and immediately after the activity?

Last edited:
OP
Marbles

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
Just thinking, for calculating maintenance calorie needs, does the following make since?

Weight lost in lbs x 3500 = total calorie deficit for that time frame.

Total calorie deficit +/- any calorie variance from goal during the time ÷ by number of days = calories that should be added during maintenance.

So, 10 lbs weight loss over 10 weeks on a 2000 calorie budget and on average only consuming 1900 calories per day (numbers selected for easy math)

(10 x 3500 - 7000)/70= 400
2000 + 400=2400

So maintenance is 2400 calories per day.

Obviously in both maintenance and cutting, additional calories burn from activity should be added to the calorie budget.

Last edited:
@Marbles

Great questions!

Out on a hunt now and I don’t want to give you a short reply that isn’t thoughtful.

I’ve set a reminder to answer when I’m back in reliable service in a bit.

Appreciate the tag and question!

EdP

WKR
Weigh yourself every day. This once a week stuff is just plain wrong. It is EVERY DAY because daily variations can be several pounds. Have a several pound variation on a once a week weigh in and you can draw a completely wrong conclusion. Adjust intake based on your daily weight. Work towards a goal based on your desired capability instead of a target weight.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
@Marbles

Great questions!

Out on a hunt now and I don’t want to give you a short reply that isn’t thoughtful.

I’ve set a reminder to answer when I’m back in reliable service in a bit.

Appreciate the tag and question!
Good luck. Hope you have a heavy walk soon.