Maintenance stage of weight loss

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
@V2Pnutrition So, I'm still well within the timeframe fo continuing to cut calorie intake (5 weeks), but I'm trying to plan ahead as in the past I have held with cutting for 5 months. Additionally, my wife is on board and I need to provide guidance for her as well. I might actually be able to hit my goal in 12 weeks, but she will not and I don't want her to fall into the same trap I did of just continuing to cut.

In the past maintaining weight loss has been a problem, I always tried to tell myself it was muscle gain, but proved with a DEXA scan that body fat is higher than I want. I would prefer not to spend forever cycling up and down by 15-20 pounds.

The following article strikes me as pretty good, but I'm curious how it comes across to you? https://rpstrength.com/blogs/articles/the-value-of-post-diet-maintenance#:~:text=Ease in with calorie increases,were gaining prior to dieting).

My key takeaways are:
-At 12 weeks, even if goals are not met calorie intake needs to be ramped back up (probably better to do it around 8-9 weeks).
-Should probably spend at least as long as was spent cutting in ramping up and holding the increased intake.

Now, how should I determine were to stop increasing and hold?

I figure other people surely have the same questions.

One other question, if I have a really demanding day physically (say a 30 mile run), obviously intake needs to be increased during the activity, is there any place for increased intake the next day, or should I try and consume the entire amount of excess calories burned during and immediately after the activity?

Last edited:
OP
Marbles

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
Just thinking, for calculating maintenance calorie needs, does the following make since?

Weight lost in lbs x 3500 = total calorie deficit for that time frame.

Total calorie deficit +/- any calorie variance from goal during the time ÷ by number of days = calories that should be added during maintenance.

So, 10 lbs weight loss over 10 weeks on a 2000 calorie budget and on average only consuming 1900 calories per day (numbers selected for easy math)

(10 x 3500 - 7000)/70= 400
2000 + 400=2400

So maintenance is 2400 calories per day.

Obviously in both maintenance and cutting, additional calories burn from activity should be added to the calorie budget.

Last edited:
@Marbles

Great questions!

Out on a hunt now and I don’t want to give you a short reply that isn’t thoughtful.

I’ve set a reminder to answer when I’m back in reliable service in a bit.

Appreciate the tag and question!

EdP

WKR
Weigh yourself every day. This once a week stuff is just plain wrong. It is EVERY DAY because daily variations can be several pounds. Have a several pound variation on a once a week weigh in and you can draw a completely wrong conclusion. Adjust intake based on your daily weight. Work towards a goal based on your desired capability instead of a target weight.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
@Marbles

Great questions!

Out on a hunt now and I don’t want to give you a short reply that isn’t thoughtful.

I’ve set a reminder to answer when I’m back in reliable service in a bit.

Appreciate the tag and question!
Good luck. Hope you have a heavy walk soon.

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
Weigh yourself every day. This once a week stuff is just plain wrong. It is EVERY DAY because daily variations can be several pounds. Have a several pound variation on a once a week weigh in and you can draw a completely wrong conclusion. Adjust intake based on your daily weight. Work towards a goal based on your desired capability instead of a target weight.
I'm not sure we are understanding each other. I reread my posts to check (which lead to grammar and spelling edits) and don't se were I said anything about frequency of weights. This is were I'm thinking you are not understanding what I'm asking.

Now, I am not understanding how one should "adjust intake based on (their) daily weight."

I will agree, if what you mean is a moving average of daily weights. But, nothing should be changed off of one weight, or even 4 to 5 days of weights. Weight itself is only one metric, and I think most people would be better off using multiple metrics. These can be as intensive as actually taking measurements to as lax as just noticing which hole on your belt is comfortable.

No one has to set a goal based on weight, however weight is part of how I get were I personally want to be. I have proven I can meat my physical performance goals at 25% body fat, that doesn't mean I have nothing to gain by dropping 18 pounds to 15% body fat. 18 pounds is a soft goal, if I pack on extra muscle I'll be happy to propel it up the mountain, but I'm not happy carrying a 20+ day fat supply.