Mailing a rifle to a gunsmith in 2023

Flyjunky

WKR
I live in Oregon, and recently sent aChristiansen back for work. I had to send it from an FFL; then it had to be sent back to the FFL and I had to get a background check to get my own rifle back from the FFL.

Frustrating to say the least
That’s very weird. During the last 2 months I’ve shipped a gun to my smith by dropping it off at a local ups store and each time the gun came right to my house from him. I live in Oregon as well. You got hosed, it’s your gun, no need for another background check.

Good lord I just left the post office. To mail the rifle in a cheap plastic gun case in a cardboard sleeve was going to be $175. I about fell over at the counter.
Yea, last one I sent a few months ago was $185 insured. I had two other rifles listed and pulled them after that.

OP
R

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
It’s a newer Christensen Policy. I had to send one back a few months ago. FFL to them only, then back to FFL.

To the OP, I think the only option as an individual now is USPS. UPS changed their policy last year. Even at USPS, I’d bring a copy of the rules to get it shipped. I’ve had to go to several post offices before to get rifles out. Prices have gone up as well, not cheap.
I thought it was going to be cheaper mailing myself through usps but maybe it would be cheaper to run an hour to town and pay scheels the 35 “transfer fee” and shipping.

fwafwow

WKR
I use UPS but I have to take to the central hub...not a store.
I’ve not had any problems with the UPS hub for shipping a declared firearm, but it was always to a FFL licensed recipient. I was not aware of the change in policy.

For those of you using USPS are you declaring it's a firearm? Or just saying metal parts if they ask and using nondescript packaging. I have to send a bareled action to a gunsmith and trying to have my duck in a row.

Antares

WKR
I am rarely asked what's in the package. I just put the appropriate amount of insurance on it and send it. When I have been asked, I've responded "it's a rifle" and no one seems to care. I started a claim once on a rifle that was lost in the mail (sent from me to my gunsmith/FFL). My local postmaster that was helping me with it said I'd done everything right, I had insurance, I had tracking, and I was sending it to an FFL... no issues. The rifle ended up showing up at the FFL and I never pursed the claim. Not sure if any of that helps...

fwafwow

WKR
I recently used UPS to send a rifle and declared it as such. The label had to be sent to me by the FFL (TBAC). It was no problem. I can’t stand and wouldn’t rely on the USPS.

I am rarely asked what's in the package. I just put the appropriate amount of insurance on it and send it. When I have been asked, I've responded "it's a rifle" and no one seems to care. I started a claim once on a rifle that was lost in the mail (sent from me to my gunsmith/FFL). My local postmaster that was helping me with it said I'd done everything right, I had insurance, I had tracking, and I was sending it to an FFL... no issues. The rifle ended up showing up at the FFL and I never pursed the claim. Not sure if any of that helps...
That's very helpful thanks again

amassi

WKR
For those of you using USPS are you declaring it's a firearm? Or just saying metal parts if they ask and using nondescript packaging. I have to send a bareled action to a gunsmith and trying to have my duck in a row.

Bike parts, space shuttle parts, printing press parts, stainless bar stock for bottle openers etc
but they only ask about 1 out of 16 times

Edited to clarify these aren’t assembled rifles just barreled actions heading off for coating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike parts, space shuttle parts, printing press parts, stainless bar stock for bottle openers etc
but they only ask about 1 out of 16 times

Edited to clarify these aren’t assembled rifles just barreled actions heading off for coating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea it's just gonna be barreled actions with the bolts in them