No USPS gun ship

fwafwow

WKR
This is true in general, but there is a big work around - as I tried to reference above (that you get your licensed intended recipient to give you the shipping label).

Edit / see picture from UPS website.IMG_1294.jpeg

Last edited:

fwafwow

WKR
Well I wish it was that way here, but wasn't. Took me a freaking week to find someone to handle it. They flat don't want to do it, and FFL told me same thing that UPS won't ship anymore (Aagain might just be here, but if you read the whole thread above I am not the only one saying this). Could be office to office or whatever, but I have shipped dozens of guns out of that UPS office in the past no issue, as recently as last year. Not to mention FFL on the other side won't accept a gun from me either, only from another FFL. There is no doubt there is some tightening in some places even if not in writing.
Maybe it’s the same as the USPS point above - the front line workers don’t know. I’m in metro Atlanta, the HQ of UPS, so maybe that’s the difference. Or you don’t have access to a customer service location and a shipping label provided by a FFL licensed dealer?

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Maybe it’s the same as the USPS point above - the front line workers don’t know. I’m in metro Atlanta, the HQ of UPS, so maybe that’s the difference. Or you don’t have access to a customer service location and a shipping label provided by a FFL licensed dealer?
Bottom line people are now having issue shipping with UPS at some locations, that's 100% a fact. No one is disputing you were able to ship a gun with UPS in ATL recently. Looks like even some US Senators got involved with the change. Post whatever you want. If you have some news about how everyone is wrong and this is all propaganda please feel free to share with us. As I said UPS will ship if it's from an FFL to an FFL all day long, they will not longer let an individual ship at least not in Utah.

Ammoland has also written about it.

Last edited:
Patently false - at least to the extent it is inconsistent with my multiple posts. Do I need to try to dig up a record of me sending my T3X to TBAC - long after August of 2022?
I'm not familiar with your shipping details or what the disagreement is. However I did just ship a rifle/suppressor to TBAC and it was done in a roundabout way because of the UPS policy. TBAC issued me a "return label" whose cost will just be added onto my invoice for the service I wanted done on the rifle/suppressor. So technically it's TBAC shipping the firearm to itself within the UPS system as I understand it. That gets around the fact that I as an individual cannot ship a firearm via UPS, since TBAC has an FFL and also maybe a contractual agreement with UPS (?).

fwafwow

WKR
I am not sure what you are arguing at this point? Bottom line people are now having issue shipping with UPS at some locations, that's 100% a fact. No one is disputing you were able to ship a gun with UPS. Looks like even some US Senators got involved with the change. Post whatever you want. I am sure the Senators are clueless and you are correct...;) If you have some news about how everyone is wrong and this is all propaganda please feel free to share with us.

Ammoland has also written about it.

You are all right that an individual can no longer ship - at least like they used to. I never said otherwise. But all I said from the beginning is that it depends on the situation, and I gave a specific and limited exception that may matter to a lot of people. Like shipping a rifle to a GS to have it chopped and threaded. When you made a blanket contrary statement, I merely referred you to my prior post. Not an argument. Then you replied that I should Google the rule, etc. as if I wasn’t familiar with it. Did you try to get your intended recipient to provide you with a shipping label?

fwafwow

WKR
I'm not familiar with your shipping details or what the disagreement is. However I did just ship a rifle/suppressor to TBAC and it was done in a roundabout way because of the UPS policy. TBAC issued me a "return label" whose cost will just be added onto my invoice for the service I wanted done on the rifle/suppressor. So technically it's TBAC shipping the firearm to itself within the UPS system as I understand it. That gets around the fact that I as an individual cannot ship a firearm via UPS, since TBAC has an FFL and also maybe a contractual agreement with UPS (?).
That’s exactly what I posted, or at least tried to post (but you said it better). When a subsequent post didn’t reply to that aspect, I may have overreacted - at least in tone. I will clean up my posts, including deleting some. Didn’t mean to start an argument with @Happy Antelope

OP
E

eoperator

WKR
I spent 1.5hrs on the phone with usps, talked to 2 different people. The answer they came up with is usps does not accept firearms from individuals anymore even thought it is clear in section 432.3 d of their rules that it is ok. Niether of them could provide a reference or date that this change occurred.

If USPS is changing its policy, I’m pretty sure it’s illegal. I’m no attorney but I believe there has to be a legal reason to shipping restrictions, like how they can’t ship ammo because any shipments can possibly go air even if it’s a ground shipment. I don’t think they can legally change their policy to not allow citizens to ship firearms that is perfectly legal to do and even states as such on the ATF’s website. If they’re changing policy it will probably take someone or some organization suing them which I’m sure will happen since this will be a major PITA. Companies like UPS and FedEx can change their policies and put in any restrictions they wish.

Also it’s worth noting that the current postmaster general was appointed during the Trump administration and was a huge donor to Trump and if this is happening it’s happening under his watch LOL. “Trump will save us”

fwafwow

WKR
I went down and spoke to UPS 3 days ago to ship a gun and dealt with 2 FFLs also trying to get it done. UPS specifically said no go anymore, has to be FFL to FFL. FFL told me the same thing, but shipped the gun for no charge so he had no reason to lie. I have shipped 50 guns over the years no issues at all, not sure if what's in writing is what's really going on or what at most or all the UPS and USPS locations or what. I guess what I am saying is I have firsthand experience within a few days so it is indeed true. Google UPS and shipping guns, tons of stories of them destroying guns, cancelling peoples accounts etc. Not saying some UPS guy might not do it, saying it is not a 100% guarantee like it used to be and apparently there is indeed a policy change even if it is not yet in writing. I am pretty those terms and conditions clearly state terms can change at anytime without being in writing, etc. Some legal garbage.
Sorry for my tone - I should have emphasized “exactly” in the post you quoted, or chosen a better phrase to point out it’s subject to an important (IMHO) exception. Then I focused too much on some of the rest of your post, which may have been because you thought I was calling *you* out instead of the article you posted.

Thank you for posting the regs. fellas. I have one to ship, and I called our local post office (town of 1,300) to confirm they would ship it. The lady was nice and said, "...it was her understanding that it had to be dealer to dealer." I read her the regs. cited in this thread, and she asked me for my number so she could research.

She called back 10 minutes later and confirmed they would ship per the following:

- Plain brown box that does not declare what's inside
- No ammunition in the box with the rifle
- Signature required on the other end

Good to know and thanks again guys!

This is true in general, but there is a big work around - as I tried to reference above (that you get your licensed intended recipient to give you the shipping label).

Edit / see picture from UPS website.View attachment 659638

Had a gunsmith send a UPS return label once and I told him i'm not close to a ups hub and ups store doesn't accept firearms. "Dont tell em" was the response.

Had a gunsmith send a UPS return label once and I told him i'm not close to a ups hub and ups store doesn't accept firearms. "Dont tell em" was the response.
I called local UPS service cetner yesterday, and the lady said they couldn't print the label, but if I dropped off a plain brown box with a label they wouldn't ask any questions. However, they also don't stand behind insurance if there's a problem.

ADKHTR

Lil-Rokslider
I am going to give this a try. Sounds like you can avoid all the hassles.
And if you have any questions just give them a call, they actually answer the phone and are very helpful, stipulations about the box size, weight, etc.. are way more lenient than what the website states, I’ve had zero problems with shipmygun and the prices were crazy good compared to what I had paid direct with UPS before their policy change.

Vern400

WKR
I've had problems shipping Sierra bullets. And brass. I ship a lot of fishing sinkers now. UPS and USPS. My guess is they do what they want.

mcdues

FNG
No I did not take a photo.

It was packed and ready to go, the clerk asked if it was a firearm.

Next time I am going to try that shipmygun that adkhtr mentioned above.
Okay, that is better. Sorry about that the hassle, bud.

Interesting note, the local gun shop (FFL) that ships a ton of guns annually uses UPS due to lower costs. They also don't insure anything, becuase if a gun is lost in shipment by UPS or any other carrier, the ATF is immediately engaged and the shipper is responsible for locating it.

Bottom line is the USPS has to ship firearms from individuals to FFLs, they don't have a choice. Bring it in an unmarked box, and if they ask what it is, even though its none of their business, tell them it's a guitar, tools, etc...

Grumman

WKR
I ran into this in Alabama a few years ago. An anti-gun worker asked me if I was shipping a firearm. I was honest then he pointed to the no gun sign and said I couldn’t have that in there. I pulled up the regs and asked him to escalate to supervision but he didn’t budge. I didn’t want to hold up the single file COVID line that was out the door so I left. I got ahold of someone in the state postmaster department. They said he didn’t have the authority to ask if it was a gun. However after investigating they said he has a moral issue with guns so if he does ask I should tell him it’s not a gun. Unbelievable. Three miles down the road the other Post Office shipped the rifle with a smile.