Which traditional arrows?

wyodog

Lil-Rokslider
I have been shooting wooden arrows (mostly Port Orford Cedar) in all of my trad bows, for years now. I have thinking about trying something new. What arrows are you guys using? What do you like about them.

I shoot carbons. The Gold Tip Traditionals are my go to. They're tough and have always worked good for me. I order them from Black Widow already cut with inserts and feathers and a dozen will last me a long time.

I was shooting black eagle vintage but I recently switched to Ted Nugent gold tips, the white is awesome and makes finding arrows so much easier when out dinking around.

I bought a lot of blem gold tip trads. I tried the beman centershot from big jims and like them so much that I bought every last one they had. They're tougher than the gold tip....but gt blems are still a bargain and much tougher than cedar.

Still shooting heritage 250s and dark timber 400s. Tapered woodies were good to me but broke a bunch on hogs so I kinda got away from them. Footed woodies held up a little better. A nice set of woodies are more expensive than carbons and don’t last as long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shoot black eagle vintage out of my recurve. Shoot good and killed a bull just fine so I have no reason to switch 🤷‍♂️

I have one of the centershots I mentioned that killed over 50 grouse before I lost it.....so you canonlyimaginehow many misses are in that mix plus that arrow is the stump shooter. It broke probably 15 nocks and never flinched before I donated it to mother earth.

Have some cedar & Douglas fir arrows I use from time to time.

Mostly hunting with the last of my Carbon Express Heritage 150’s & 250’s depending upon which bow I am using.

Also have and use Gold Tip traditional blems and not.

The carbon express are just a bit better for me but they are not made anymore.

Eventually I’ll have to test some more arrows.

Have not used aluminum in many years.

There's tons of good arrows out there. I prefer carbon and 5mm shafts if I can get them in 33-34" length. however I've been using the Easton Carbon Legacy shafts for a couple years now. Had good success with the Black Eagle Renegades before that. I don't think you can really go wrong. Just pick a system, get arrows tuned well, and go.

I just moved away from Easton Axis and Legacy's this year to try the Safari Tuff Taipans. So far I have been very satisfied, they're tough, priced well, and my biggest compliment is you buy the whole system in one stop. Also, they're a .204 diameter arrow.

I'm using Easton Axis (standard and Legacy traditionals) on three different bows. Instead of heavy broadheads I adjust the weight with a heavy insert and collars.

I have been looking pretty close at the Easton carbon legacy arrows. I have always shot 5 feathers so I am not sure how much difference there would be with the 4" that comes on them. might just have to buy some and find out.

I have been looking pretty close at the Easton carbon legacy arrows. I have always shot 5 feathers so I am not sure how much difference there would be with the 4" that comes on them. might just have to buy some and find out.

I switched to a 4 inch shield cut from the 5inch in the past four to five years now. No issues or complaints. Still fly like darts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are used to wood...you will be shocked how much more consistent and simple the Carbons are.

Once tuned, I shoot the high profile 3" feathers and they stabilize BH well. 3-4" is fine too, you don't need more than that unless your bow is severely out of tune.

EDIT; Just about all of the Carbon Shafts are good these days...in fact I shoot the Accmos and Linkboy [$40/doz] and find them better than the recent Eastons I shot for decades. IME, I would recommend 9gpi or more- the lighter GPI carbon shafts are not very durable.

The one trick to making up these carbons is to square the ends on a jig [220 sandpaper on a square surface] Right off the saw they are NOT square and will cause you grief getting your BH's perfect. Best to buy them without the inserts installed.

Last edited:
Back