Looking for good cartridge and budget rifle for 14 y/o

My first inclination is for .243, it's been around as long as it has for a reason, and it is pretty versatile. That said, 6.5 creedmoor will be my son's first cartridge. Mule deer, elk, bear, and wolves are all viable, tons of good factory ammo, and the ability to practice at a ton of different ranges.

.243 hands down. Low Recoil. Variety of factory loads. Extremely accurate. Multiple uses. Great first rifle.
My go to rifle most my early hunting years. Never lost an animal. Never missed an animal with it. Nicknamed it
" The Reaper". Still got it! Three shot Clover leaf groups you can cover with a dime at 100 yards.

Another vote for the ruger American in 6.5 creedmoor. They are pretty accurate considering the cost. Ammo availability is great and pretty reasonable If you dont reload. Also I wouldn't blink at shooting a elk out to 300 yards with mine using the 143 eldx

Do not give him that 30-06. That’s a solid way to start him off with a flinch. They aren’t fun to shoot. I’d look at a Ruger American predator in 6 creed or 243 if you’re looking for something budget. Or better yet a tikka in 243 if you don’t mind spending a bit more. I bought my daughter the 6 creed and it’s a freaking blast to shoot and shoots everything I’ve put through it MOA or better. It’s not pretty to look at but damn does it work. The only gripe I have about it is sometimes it doesn’t feed very well.
This seems smartest. Pony up $600 for a scoped ruger combo in 243 or something like that. I dunno I just wondered if giving a 14 yo boy a 243 was sissy 😂

I'm just not in the 6mm fan base for elk.
My buddy shot a nice spike bull with a 243 when he was 12 but this is valid for sure. I have archery hunted and bird hunted all my life and never really second guessed bow effectiveness considering it’s just a sharp stick with a string on wheels haha. Shot placement is key.

Get him a tikka 6.5 creedmoor.

Im
Surprised how many guys say they struggle with a 30-06, those don’t seem that bad at all to me after being into 375HH for the past decade. I guess my 30-06 has a silencer too so that helps.

I learned to hunt with a Reno from 700 in 270 Winchester. I don’t remember the recoil being bad but I havnt shot a 270 in 15 years now.

I bought a base model Begara in .270 win, topped with a 2.5-10x32 gen 1 pst I ratted of my .22 for him in talley LW rings, thing shoots Speer 150gr pills under an inch at 100 yards. He’ll be taking it on a NZ Tahr hunt this July. Pretty cost effective.

One of my lgs has howa minis for 499 in 6 arc or 6.5 grendel. Light low recoil and accurate. I will also agree with the good used 243 suggestion

I would get him a cheap Savage bolt action in 308, 270 or 30-06. Make sure it has the accu trigger. They are the most accurate rifles I own.

Hunts duck a lot but basically no rifle experience other than a little 22 shooting.
What shotgun does your son hunt ducks with? Being 5'7" 130 lbs he's pretty close to the average sized male adult so if he's shooting a 12ga recoil won't be much of an issue. So the biggest transition would be getting him ready to hunt with a rifle.

Well if the 243 is sissy count me in I use one occasionally for white tail and shot quite a few with it when I was a teenager. I use 95 grain ballistic tips with no issue. I reload for another with Sierra 85 gr HPBT. Its great to shoot and knocks them dead. I just gave one to my nephew a couple weeks back in a Savage.

I guess what I'm getting at is it's possible to get your son used to shooting that Win 670 30-06 pretty easily depending on how he can handle recoil. Since he hunts ducks I'm guess he's used to at least a 20ga shotgun. That suggests to me he could handle a 6.5CM, 7-08 or 308 win without much trouble. Pharm has taken a ton of big game with his 7-08. My buddy used his 308 Win to take nice bulls here in Eastern Oregon. And I don't think your son would have much trouble learning to handle that Win 670 30-06. The main thing with any rifle would be fitment and recoil pad, I'd get a Sims recoil pad. Plenty of dry fire practice prior to range time would help. Low recoil 30-06 ammo to start. So you could get a budget rifle in any of the cartridges suggested here. But that Win 670 already fits the bill and it shouldn't be too hard to get him used to it with low recoil ammo. Leaves you with the option of using that rifle money towards a nice scope. Or getting a .223 trainer. This all depends on how well that 30-06 you have shoots.

Last edited:
i'd vote for 243, 6 or 6.5 CM, or 7-08. savage axis II package so it has an accutrigger and comes with mediocre scope. the (original) axis has an amazingly poor trigger but $10 in springs at Ace will make it 100% better if you're ok with youtube videos and a screwdriver. axis II solves that with accutrigger.

mossberg patriot. ruger american predator. they'd get the job done. i've had to send a friend's ruger american back bc it wasn't chambering, but it came back a shooter. they seem hit or miss.

if you increase the budget then yes obviously a tikka 243. but then you're looking at $1000 to get it outfitted with rings/scope. but you get what you pay for.

i have never fired a howa mini but they feel nice and i've heard few complaints.

i bought a youth/compact savage axis in 7-08 a while back bc it was inexpensive and i wanted a smaller rifle to screw around with. the stock is craptastic. $125 laminate stock from boyd's plus a $10 trigger job and some dremel work made it a shooter.

i would save the 30-06 for later. or never. i love my savage 110 in 30-06 but it's relegated to serving up fond memories. no need for recoil when my 243 or 308 kills critters dead anyway.

Get him a used gamemaster 760 in 308 with a Leupold scope. Should be sub $500. He will have it for life.

What shotgun does your son hunt ducks with? Being 5'7" 130 lbs he's pretty close to the average sized male adult so if he's shooting a 12ga recoil won't be much of an issue. So the biggest transition would be getting him ready to hunt with a rifle.
This is what i was wondering. He shoots an old 80’s 870 wing master with virtually no butt pad. How does that compare to 30/06 recoil?

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
slackj30
Back