Looking for good cartridge and budget rifle for 14 y/o

TaperPin

WKR
My vote goes to the 243 in a good used rifle - it shouldn’t be hard to find a Remington, Ruger, Mosberg, Howa, Savage or even an Winchester for under $300.

As far back as I can remember the first centerfire hunting rifle for a Wyoming kid was a 243. In time most move up to a larger caliber, but that’s a great all around plinking/varmint/coyote/deer/antelope cartridge that’s easy on the shoulder and wallet - and every small store will have ammo. Now that grandkids are starting to pop up, I’ve been scanning gun stores for 243s - when they are ready to hunt deer, one of these will be under the Christmas tree. I also keep a basic old Remington 700 .243 sighted in and ready to go as a loaner rifle.

The running joke between the older shooters is we always tell the young or inexperienced shooters the 243 shoots like a self guided missile and kills better than it should - they believe they will shoot it well so they almost always do.
76C7BA02-D13D-456C-B76B-FC646E663F7D.png

Ehunter56

FNG
Wouldn't hesitate for a minute on a 25-06. Easy on recoil, VERY flat shooting, easily available ammo, and damn near everyone makes a gun in it. Would recommend it over a 243 on shots out to 300+ at deer, and more knock down power for the elk possibility. GREAT, but easily forgotten cartridge. Everyone likes to get hung up on the latest and newest...basically same ballistics out to 400 yards as a 6.5 Creed.

OP
H

HappyHuntr

My vote goes to the 243 in a good used rifle - it shouldn’t be hard to find a Remington, Ruger, Mosberg, Howa, Savage or even an Winchester for under $300.

As far back as I can remember the first centerfire hunting rifle for a Wyoming kid was a 243. In time most move up to a larger caliber, but that’s a great all around plinking/varmint/coyote/deer/antelope cartridge that’s easy on the shoulder and wallet - and every small store will have ammo. Now that grandkids are starting to pop up, I’ve been scanning gun stores for 243s - when they are ready to hunt deer, one of these will be under the Christmas tree. I also keep a basic old Remington 700 .243 sighted in and ready to go as a loaner rifle.

The running joke between the older shooters is we always tell the young or inexperienced shooters the 243 shoots like a self guided missile and kills better than it should - they believe they will shoot it well so they almost always do.
View attachment 677394
Thanks! Used gun stores the place to look for a rifle?

OP
H

HappyHuntr

Wouldn't hesitate for a minute on a 25-06. Easy on recoil, VERY flat shooting, easily available ammo, and damn near everyone makes a gun in it. Would recommend it over a 243 on shots out to 300+ at deer, and more knock down power for the elk possibility. GREAT, but easily forgotten cartridge. Everyone likes to get hung up on the latest and newest...basically same ballistics out to 400 yards as a 6.5 Creed.
Ok! if i find a rifle chambered in that and there is available ammo that seems like a great option.

Jbxl20

WKR
.243 in a tikka

my son has an axis in .243 that I was planning on him using this past season until I ended up winning a Thompson center compass 2 compact. After shooting both of them side by side with the same Ammo the compass kicked less and shot tighter Groups. It retails I think for $350ish and It comes with a threaded barrel and a 5 round mag. He’s 8 y/o and shot his first buck with the .243 compass

OP
H

HappyHuntr

.243 in a tikka

my son has an axis in .243 that I was planning on him using this past season until I ended up winning a Thompson center compass 2 compact. After shooting both of them side by side with the same Ammo the compass kicked less and shot tighter Groups. It retails I think for $350ish and It comes with a threaded barrel and a 5 round mag. He’s 8 y/o and shot his first buck with the .243 compass
tikka might be a little pricey for me. After TaperPins comment i might look used.

Ok. What would be the best way to find out if the 670 is still in good condition. Just take to the gun shop and then outfit it the way they say i should?
You could see if the local gun shop has a bore scope and check it out. I probably would listen to the rokslide group and go with something that is user friendly. The 3-9 trijicon Huron is a nice scope, the swfa 6x gets good reviews although I didn’t like it. The trijicon credo is nice.
Ok. What i was looking to hear. Do you think i could find a budget rifle in the 6creed? What is better 243, 6 remington or other 6mm?
I personally would go with the creed if you don’t reload. The 243 isn’t bad, but I prefer heavier bullets. Unless you get a 1:8 twist, and you can actually find factory made ammo, you’ll be stuck with 100gr ammo in the 243 and 6mm rem.

eric1115

WKR
100% Howa Mini action 6mm ARC.

Cheapish rifle that shoots great and with a little time the magazine, trigger, etc. can be made quite good.

Cartridge has factory ammo that is readily available, inexpensive, performs fantastically well. Very mild recoil, great ballistics. It is 100% my recommendation for kids if .223 is not an option. That 108 ELDM is great terminally.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Another vote for 6 creed or .243. Watch the online forums for a nice used one.

MT-nuffgun

Lil-Rokslider
My father in law bought my 12 year old daughter a savage axis in .243 win for Christmas last year. I’m not a big fan of the savage actions, but that little rifle is fairly light weight and accurate. The first group posted below is a clone (of sorts) of the hornady custom light factory ammo. Load is 87 gr vmax with 37.3 grains of H4831sc in win brass and WLR primer. The next group is the factory 95 gr tipped core lokt ammo. The rifle does not seem to be picky with ammo so far and shoots 5 shot groups consistently under an inch.

Attachments

• IMG_2342.jpeg
    IMG_2342.jpeg
    94.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2343.jpeg
    IMG_2343.jpeg
    260.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

BigDog00

WKR
Ok. What i was looking to hear. Do you think i could find a budget rifle in the 6creed? What is better 243, 6 remington or other 6mm?
Ruger American, Savage, Thompson Center, Remington 700. Look for a 1:8 twist so you can shoot heavier bullets (~100-108gr). Used guns wouldn't be bad, but if it looks beat up.....its likely been beat up.

Tmac

WKR
You could try low recoil loads in the 30-06. Hornady lite 125 gr SST advertised at 2,700 fps. HSM makes some too, probably others as well. Get that Trijicon Huron for $300 while they last and see if it shoots it well. If so, done. If not, get the Ruger, Howa, Savage in 243, 6ARC, etc. and put the Huron on it. Better yet, do both lol.

Odds are all you need to do is run a patch through that 670 and shoot it. The scope I may not trust.

Do not give him that 30-06. That’s a solid way to start him off with a flinch. They aren’t fun to shoot. I’d look at a Ruger American predator in 6 creed or 243 if you’re looking for something budget. Or better yet a tikka in 243 if you don’t mind spending a bit more. I bought my daughter the 6 creed and it’s a freaking blast to shoot and shoots everything I’ve put through it MOA or better. It’s not pretty to look at but damn does it work. The only gripe I have about it is sometimes it doesn’t feed very well.

Reactions: Duh