Looking for 600 yard deer/elk rifle. Recommendations?

A 3006 with a 168-180ish bullet will kill stuff all day long inside 600.

A magnum just flattens the curve and adds recoil and energy. More energy is unnecessary to kill. People may "feel better" but truth is they don't need it and the added recoil makes them worse shooters. I use a brake and ear pro with my magnum.

A 270 flattens the curve over a 3006 by using a lighter bulllet, but loses energy. It will still kill a bull hit in the lungs. Inside 600 it will do more than a 147 at 900... its enough for a marksman.

A 280 Ackley is the best of both worlds in a long action non magnum. Shoots a 168-180 at 270 speeds. You get flat and energy.

7 rem mag or 7 saum get you high magnum performance with a 168 to 180. More than enough for your needs. A 300 mag needs a 230 to match them ballistically but you don't need the extra energy, IMO.

For long range, having a flatter shooting cartridge is an accuracy advantage for wind and for distance errors. The real trade off is with recoil.
I have to agree here and frankly the Savage Ultralight in .280 AI would be the rifle I'd buy again if it were available when I was looking for an elk rifle. Actually, for handloaders the .280 AI is a great all-around cartridge.

There isn’t much in NA that will stand up to an 180-200gr .30 cal bullet launched at 2800-3100 FPS ish. My 300 wsm weighs a little over 8.5#’s and is easy on recoil .

i’m also a 7mm fan and this is a pair of 180 eld-m’s launched at 3035fps from my 7 wsm and recovered from a very nice buck shot at 835 yds IIRC. He didn’t need the second but was on his feet after the first hit so I bonus balled him and down he went.E74727BA-5CDA-46FD-98C7-0272C467D6DD.jpeg

Last edited:
I have had great results on elk with factory 180 partition loads in a 300WSM. It’s a little heavy on recoil for me. I also have a 6.5 SAUM and big bulls seem to stay on their feet a bit longer in my limited experience 2 bulls. I decided to build a 7 SAUM on a Tikka action. On a side note I’m dropping this rig in a Mesa and really like that stock.
If I were not going to hand load a tikka 300WSM is pretty though to beat for the money. Good luck

There isn’t much in NA that will stand up to an 180-200gr .30 cal bullet launched at 2800-3100 FPS ish. My 300 wsm weighs a little over 8.5#’s and is easy on recoil .

i’m also a 7mm fan and this is a pair of 180 eld-m’s launched at 3035fps from my 7 wsm and recovered from a very nice buck shot at 835 yds IIRC. He didn’t need the second but was on his feet after the first hit so I bonus balled him and down he went.View attachment 243825
I like that - bonus balled him. Most people seem upset needing a second round, but your on to something here.

JohnIrish

FNG
I shot some of the Nosler Trophy Grade ammo to break in the barrel, 168 grain accubonds. I shoot and hunt just about every day and have for a long time. Owning property has some perks.

200 yards and 6 shots after getting on paper. This was probably in the first 20 shots or so through the barrel. That’s less than an inch on the longest diagonal.
View attachment 241839

I’m not a “group” shooter. I have steel targets out to 1,200 yards here at home. I regularly verify my rifles on the gongs but mainly I just hunt with them. Coyotes, rabbits, and squirrels are all no limit no season. If I’m hitting those animals at yardages it translates to really good hits on the bigger animals.
Nice Group! But please.... sharpen that knife! It hurts my eyes to l
Even look at it!

Willie IV

FNG
After several searches, I would like to revisit this post. I'll be elk hunting in fairly open country where a 500-600 yd shot is a real possibility. Looking for new opinions since this post is from 2020 and a few new calibers have hit the market. Right now I'm looking at 300 WM in a Tikka T3x or a 7mm PRC in a CA Mesa. Prefer to stay with factory ammo and avoid handloads at this point. Thanks for your time.

After several searches, I would like to revisit this post. I'll be elk hunting in fairly open country where a 500-600 yd shot is a real possibility. Looking for new opinions since this post is from 2020 and a few new calibers have hit the market. Right now I'm looking at 300 WM in a Tikka T3x or a 7mm PRC in a CA Mesa. Prefer to stay with factory ammo and avoid handloads at this point. Thanks for your time.
I’d definitely go with a tikka. If you’re only shooting to 500 or 600 and want to shoot factory ammo the 6.5 PRC will serve you well. Honestly you could go even smaller but it sounds like you want a magnum round so the PRC would be a great compromise. Theres some great info on the forum about weather testing with the tikka and model 700 clones like the Christensen that you can read thatll help you decide. The tikka platform is about as close to bullet proof and you can get.

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I haven`t read every page mind you, but if the threads/posters I`m reading on various sites are accurate, if you stick around long enough you`ll get somebody who`ll assure you that a .223 with a 77 grain bullet will kill anything this side of an elephant ( and maybe an elephant too if you`re REALLY good! )

Rich M

WKR
Well, I haven`t read every page mind you, but if the threads/posters I`m reading on various sites are accurate, if you stick around long enough you`ll get somebody who`ll assure you that a .223 with a 77 grain bullet will kill anything this side of an elephant ( and maybe an elephant too if you`re REALLY good! )
Until it doesn't.

BigNate

WKR
I'm surprised that you didn't get the advice on the first page to spend money on a different scope before all else.

In all seriousness, you could pick about any cartridge that will carry about 1800 fps to 600 yards with the bullet you choose, and it would work fine. The rifle/scope need to be consistent, as does the shooter.

BradS

FNG
Tikka T3X 300WM. Sub MOA with Factory Barnes 180 TTSX and 3/4 with handload 175 LRX and 165 Swift Scirroco 2s.

Until it doesn't.

I’m not a big 223 promoter but I see the value….

I’m a small test subject that has only seen 20-25 or so elk taken over the last 10 years (not all mine) and the only one that got away was a poorly shot cow elk with a 338 WM (not mine). The rest were shot with either 270, 6.5cm or 300wsm.

If the 338 WM not a 100% guarantee kill every time, it doesn’t make sense to shoot larger calibers due to their difficult nature to shoot well repeatedly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
I’m not a big 223 promoter but I see the value….

I’m a small test subject that has only seen 20-25 or so elk taken over the last 10 years (not all mine) and the only one that got away was a poorly shot cow elk with a 338 WM (not mine). The rest were shot with either 270, 6.5cm or 300wsm.

If the 338 WM not a 100% guarantee kill every time, it doesn’t make sense to shoot larger calibers due to their difficult nature to shoot well repeatedly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s exactly where i was going. There are no gurranties in life. I know double digit guys who’ve lost deer to 243. Folks tell me how stupid i am cause i wont use a 243 cause when i did it didnt have the hp i was promised.

Why cant that be .223?

Do you drive a 1 ton or a 1/2 ton truck and why? Why not tow a trailer with a subaru?

If you wanna put all yer coins down on a .223. Enjoy but dont whine if one gets away for some reason cause 65-77 grs doesnt have enough hp for the job you gave it. You wanted to save on hp and cost and went with it.

Oh yeah, there is s thread w bunch of pictures. Could as well be a 30-30 or a 308.

No guarranties, well except for that 223 rifle your 6 yr old wont flinch to. It is guarranteed. But not a 338 or 300 mag. So, tow the trailer w the Subaru.

BigNate

WKR
Terminal ballistics matter, wound channels matter. Energy numbers, Taylor knock out formulas, "horse power" doesn't. It really is that simple.

Bullet choice matters way more than what launched it. If you pick a bullet that needs a lot of velocity to work well, and then use it out of a pedestrian cartridge, or take shots beyond the velocity window it works well at, you'll have poor results.

Using a "tough" bullet, like a bonded, or a Barnes tsx at a velocity below which they perform well will leave a narrow wound channel.

Likewise, using a long range bullet when your typical shot isn't long range will likely result in shallow penetration and a huge cavity.

I'm older and still have some fud guns because I like the rifle. I rarely use the bigger stuff any more because modern bullets are really that good. My well worn .338WM is accurate and I'm comfortable with it. It used to be my go to elk rifle, but It doesn't kill any better than my 25-06. Probably no different than my old .257 Roberts though I've only shot cows with it. I have taken quite a few deer with .224" bullets and haven't had a rodeo yet. With what I've seen from the 77gr TMK, I have no reason to believe it wouldn't work well with consideration for velocity, just like every other bullet.

Tricer

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
600yds for an elk is a long way for a bullet to perform effectively. My opinion is nothing smaller than a 7mm or 30 cal magnum would be reliable enough for me to be pulling the trigger at those ranges on an elk. 280AI and a few other calibers could be tossed in this mix as well but you will be pushing them hard.

I am still a big believer in the 1500lbs of kinetic energy for elk rule. I find that if you stick to this your bullet will have the adequate velocity to perform well.

These animals are so tough I don’t like to leave things to chance. Call me a fud but 1500lbs with a bonded or in my case copper bullet just seems to work.

eric1115

WKR
600yds for an elk is a long way for a bullet to perform effectively. My opinion is nothing smaller than a 7mm or 30 cal magnum would be reliable enough for me to be pulling the trigger at those ranges on an elk. 280AI and a few other calibers could be tossed in this mix as well but you will be pushing them hard.

I am still a big believer in the 1500lbs of kinetic energy for elk rule. I find that if you stick to this your bullet will have the adequate velocity to perform well.

These animals are so tough I don’t like to leave things to chance. Call me a fud but 1500lbs with a bonded or in my case copper bullet just seems to work.

What's the reason you think that is the minimum? Have you seen animals shot it the right spot with the small diameter bullets being discussed and not die?