Looking for 600 yard deer/elk rifle. Recommendations?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Consider do you want a gun that is for packing all over the mountains and can achieve this range or do you want a 10 pd gun that is not being packed all over the mountain....this plain tikka 7mm with vx3 and ballistic bdc is an all mountain gun and has been set up with a 250 zero and 600 final dot it has worked very well at 7.5 pds....on this day I was on snowshoes 5ft of snow and hiking all day shot came two hours after I spotted him and was 512 yds and took another hr plus to get to him...need to establish how far you like to hike and the weight to accomplish your style of hunting....it is great to have a cannon but how many are packed daily👍 Lots and lots of options to choose from this tikka has killed as close as 5 yds and out to 575 being simplistic....shot location and kill location strap it on and go

Attachments

• 5C2F58F0-711D-4C42-99BA-3FCD04EF82E4.jpeg
    5C2F58F0-711D-4C42-99BA-3FCD04EF82E4.jpeg
    454.9 KB · Views: 116
  • 033FA114-C07B-41F9-886E-A0972BE85BDB.jpeg
    033FA114-C07B-41F9-886E-A0972BE85BDB.jpeg
    201.8 KB · Views: 116
  • 627CA048-2EC1-46D0-9995-EFB9C5BDE93F.jpeg
    627CA048-2EC1-46D0-9995-EFB9C5BDE93F.jpeg
    221.9 KB · Views: 116
I've always looked at "normal range" deer hunting and "long range" elk hunting as 2 different pursuits that require 2 different guns. I personally consider "long range" on game to be anything over 500 yards, mostly because most hunters can't hit their own ass that far. Honestly. A Seekins Havak or Fierce rifle in 28 Nosler would be my choice with the 195 EOL driven hard in quality handloads. For factory ammo, I would turn to Unknown Munitions. I don't think a rifle for 200 yd shots at deer is the same gun to use for 600 yd elk. I witnessed a Seekins PH2 in 28 Nosler on 3 elk this fall, 1 cow and 2 mature bulls. Ranges were from 480 to 730. All one shot quick, humane kills. Don't fool yourself into complacency after you own the gun, being more proficient than 95% of most riflemen out there will matter more than anything.

Storman

FNG
Hey all,

As the title reads I am Looking a 600 yard rifle/caliber combo that is capable of the penetration needed to kill a big old bull at 600 yards if needed. If I only had one shot at a bull and he was quartered to me at 600 yards I want a caliber/bullet I would be confident it would break the shoulder and penetrate into the vitals.

I mostly hunt deer of all species yet occasionally elk.

The things I would like is a completed rifle around 8lbs give or take.
I have a Leupold VX5 I would top it with.
24” or less barrel
Needs to reliably shoot under 1 moa.
Need to shoot factory ammo as I don’t reload at this time.
Not sure if the budget yet so wanting to see what’s out there.

I am very aware that 600 is a long ways(not sure if it fits “long range”) will assume the shooter does everything correctly so I just want to critique the rifle/caliber/bullet combo.

I appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks and have a great day!
For budget but amazing accuracy I would go Tika t3x in 30-06. 180 accubond.

PRC? Impact velocity @900?
Running Hornady's stated muzzle velocity of 2910, that bullet would still retain 1,996 fps at 900 yds, and around 1300 ft lbs of energy. I'm guessing that Ryan's loads were moving a little quicker than 2910.....not sure where 900 fps got pulled out of?

mt100gr.

WKR
Running Hornady's stated muzzle velocity of 2910, that bullet would still retain 1,996 fps at 900 yds, and around 1300 ft lbs of energy. I'm guessing that Ryan's loads were moving a little quicker than 2910.....not sure where 900 fps got pulled out of?
He said the shot was 900 YARDS. No one said 900 fps - the question was " impact velocity @900?" Thanks.

OP
plentycoupe

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
My semi custom Tikka mentioned above in 7mm Mag. Like Ross said. 7 lbs 10 ounces field ready with 4 rounds in it. Light, accurate, dependable.

View attachment 241789
View attachment 241790
Great looking gun! Prior to your current load did you use anything that a person could buy locally(barring the current ammo crisis?)
If so what kind of groups did you get?
Thanks!

OP
plentycoupe

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
Consider do you want a gun that is for packing all over the mountains and can achieve this range or do you want a 10 pd gun that is not being packed all over the mountain....this plain tikka 7mm with vx3 and ballistic bdc is an all mountain gun and has been set up with a 250 zero and 600 final dot it has worked very well at 7.5 pds....on this day I was on snowshoes 5ft of snow and hiking all day shot came two hours after I spotted him and was 512 yds and took another hr plus to get to him...need to establish how far you like to hike and the weight to accomplish your style of hunting....it is great to have a cannon but how many are packed daily👍 Lots and lots of options to choose from this tikka has killed as close as 5 yds and out to 575 being simplistic....shot location and kill location strap it on and go
Thanks for the reply. I like what you have to say and am certainly looking for a lighter gun that I can pack around the mountains all day.
I have yet to own a 7MM but like the idea of it.
what rounds are you shooting in your Tikka and what kind of groups are you getting?
Thanks again.

Totoro

WKR
Lots of great options only limited by the depth of your wallet.

I've tossed around the idea for a 6.5 of some sort but keep coming back to LA calibers for ground up builds.

Though to be fair, my in-state rifle is a plain jane 308Winny.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Great looking gun! Prior to your current load did you use anything that a person could buy locally(barring the current ammo crisis?)
If so what kind of groups did you get?
Thanks!
I shot some of the Nosler Trophy Grade ammo to break in the barrel, 168 grain accubonds. I shoot and hunt just about every day and have for a long time. Owning property has some perks.

200 yards and 6 shots after getting on paper. This was probably in the first 20 shots or so through the barrel. That’s less than an inch on the longest diagonal.
1A31440A-0DF2-4C1F-8C6F-F13B56C03BA9.jpeg

I’m not a “group” shooter. I have steel targets out to 1,200 yards here at home. I regularly verify my rifles on the gongs but mainly I just hunt with them. Coyotes, rabbits, and squirrels are all no limit no season. If I’m hitting those animals at yardages it translates to really good hits on the bigger animals.

I agree with all the guys saying 6.5 PRC. I built mine off of a tikka action this year with a 22 inch carbon six barrel. My full setup is 7.8lbs with a vx 5 3-15 leupold and shoots under a 1 inch group at 200 with factory 147 eldms. Has the energy you need for deer and elk at those ranges and for me the ability to pull the trigger and watch impact is well worth not shooting a harder hitting round like a 7 mag or 300 mag. I made a marginal shot on my buck this year at 510 yards but was able to watch the impact because of the low recoil and put the next shot right where it needed to be. Without that ability I wouldn’t have known where to put the second shot. Also I’d like to note that low recoil is without a muzzle break witch is another big advantage to me.