Lighten up 6.7 powerstroke in Boise

ndbuck09

WKR
Hey guys, I have a 2011 6.7 powerstroke that I need to lighten up and optimize in Boise and I'm curious if anyone here would know of anybody in the treasure valley who can do such things mechanically on the side? If you're in the southern Idaho area and have done some weight reductions, did you use anyone to do it? Feel free to PM if you'd rather not publicly announce such things...it is kind of like that honey hole I suppose :)

svivian

WKR
Sounds like you are repurposing your truck for off-road only use. I would suggest searching diesel shops that advertise off-road only upgrades...

You may also need to venture to another state to have those services done.

WRM

WKR
They be disappearin. Lot of fed and sate enforcement activity. We've even have a lot of drivers getting popped with big tickets locally.

You had maybe the most famous coal rollers of all up there in ID and they got popped "fairly" hard.

Good luck!

CorbLand

WKR
Sounds like you are repurposing your truck for off-road only use. I would suggest searching diesel shops that advertise off-road only upgrades...

I think the only shops that are going to do what he is looking for are going to be in someone's backyard and only accept cash.

I have a feeling the farther you get from Ada County, the better your odds are going to be. Especially if you go farther east.

svivian

WKR
I think the only shops that are going to do what he is looking for are going to be in someone's backyard and only accept cash.

I have a feeling the farther you get from Ada County, the better your odds are going to be. Especially if you go farther east.
There are places in my next of woods...

tdhanses

WKR

Off road use is no longer light on equipment unless it is under 25hp. Days of lightening are pretty much done.

OP
ndbuck09

ndbuck09

WKR
Here's the deal, I road cycle to stay in shape so I'm real familiar with the offroad trucks that used to be on the road and all the coal that used to be rollin out here around town. I've been smoked plenty of times along the side of the road and I've flipped em off plenty of times...that's definitely not what I'm going for.
I just want to be lighter, keep same performance because it's stupid to pay $1500 to fix a component of a system when said system is actually forcing less efficiency when I'm rollin offroad. I'm facing a clog if you know what I mean and again why mess with that over and over?

WRM

WKR
I've been smoked plenty of times along the side of the road and I've flipped em off plenty of times...that's definitely not what I'm going for

Not suggesting you are. Only noting the people who do this work are getting less and less due to enforcement actions, among other things. And, you may find yourself the subject of enforcement regardless. The enforcement folks here know what to look for now. You don't have to be billowing smoke to get nailed. YMMV but those tickets are damn expensive.

They be disappearin. Lot of fed and sate enforcement activity. We've even have a lot of drivers getting popped with big tickets locally.

You had maybe the most famous coal rollers of all up there in ID and they got popped "fairly" hard.

Good luck!
Feds are running under cover in TX on shops. They go in asking for a reduction and then get cuffed and fined.

There is no emissions testing in TX for diesels just safety so really only way you get ticketed is Feds.

Reactions: WRM

svivian

WKR
Im not sure what years it covers but my 2013 just got a recall on that part and they will pay to have it replaced. I would have if it hadnt already been removed. I was in the same situation and the cost to delete versus cost to replace was about the same..

tdhanses

WKR
You‘ll be using some back woods operators as all the main compaines that offered this are no longer in the game, EPA came down hard on them in 2019.

They came down on youtube posters as well.

If you get caught it’s immediately removed from use and huge fine and you have to put it back to stock, not cheap to lighten up in the current environment.

WRM

WKR
End of the day, if you don't tow really heavy sh!t on the regs, a diesel doesn't make a lot of sense to own anymore. Regs have ruined them and it will only get worse.

In a few more years, it'll be interesting to see what the "average age" on a diesel PU is.

As someone deeply involved in the diesel world...

Do not use those shops.

They frequently deal in stolen tunes, and and almost never provide actual support.

Reactions: WRM
Feds are running under cover in TX on shops. They go in asking for a reduction and then get cuffed and fined.

There is no emissions testing in TX for diesels just safety so really only way you get ticketed is Feds.
Several counties have diesel emissions testing.