Lighten up 6.7 powerstroke in Boise

colersu22

WKR
Like most said shops won’t mess with it because of the EPA, it is pretty cheap to do a straight pipe and block off plates like this will keep the EGR in place and takes out the two connecting pipes then for tuners you can get an old stock H&S mini maxx for about half the price of a ezlynx

Takes about 2 hours if you are mechanically inclined or just make a weekend/day project of it.

Harris county for sure. Had to get an egr valve fixed before it would pass inspection on a jeep I owned.
Are you positive, because state doesn’t require diesel emissions, I know Dallas, Tarrant, Aransas, And Bextar don’t 100%. I try never to go to Harris. With that said I cant find anything thing on Harris diesel emissions testing, every thing shows Harris exempt from diesel testing

svivian

WKR
Are you positive, because state doesn’t require diesel emissions, I know Dallas, Tarrant, Aransas, And Bextar don’t 100%. I try never to go to Harris. With that said I cant find anything thing on Harris diesel emissions testing, every thing shows Harris exempt from diesel testing

Depends on the county more than the state. For example in Denver you would get tested each year where here in Mesa county they don’t at all

Depends on the county more than the state. For example in Denver you would get tested each year where here in Mesa county they don’t at all
In Texas on Gas yes you are correct, Diesel no.

I can get an inspection in any county because there isn’t emission testing for diesel as they are exempt per the State, just safety/visual inspection

Houston/Harris is looney but I’m 99% positive they are exempt from diesels emissions testing also. I just haven’t done it there so I can’t say for 100% but just texted buddy that lives in kingwood so find out pretty quick.

svivian

WKR
In Texas on Gas yes you are correct, Diesel no.

I can get an inspection in any county because there isn’t emission testing for diesel as they are exempt per the State, just safety/visual inspection

Houston/Harris is looney but I’m 99% positive they are exempt from diesels emissions testing also. I just haven’t done it there so I can’t say for 100% but just texted buddy that lives in kingwood so find out pretty quick.
I’m talking Colorado not Texas. Just stating what we do here

OP
ndbuck09

ndbuck09

WKR
Bought this truck a handful of months ago and its 10 years old and had 100k miles...that's the blessing and curse because it was very very clean and hardly seemed used, which for diesels and their systems isn't real good in the end due to clogging, due to not enough load.

We pull a gooseneck horse trailer in the mountains all over the northwest here so we're using it the way it should be but the soot game has already been played in those non offroad systems...I can hack through mechanic things but when it comes to the cables and electrical aspect of such things, that's where I get concerned. It all wouldn't be so bad if it would be like $500 to replace this stupid thing but its a lot more than that.
1654147797609.png

I would look into the Boise rules first. I seem to remember it’s the only place in Idaho that does testing.

They did away with it because of our “highly improved air quality”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WRM

WKR
They did away with it because of our “highly improved air quality”

They knocked out the Bros, so your air must be clean now.

Just give in and get you an EV and an "I Love JoePa" sticker. By the time you get this sorted, diesel will be over $10 a gallon.

Phaseolus

WKR
End of the day, if you don't tow really heavy sh!t on the regs, a diesel doesn't make a lot of sense to own anymore. Regs have ruined them and it will only get worse.

In a few more years, it'll be interesting to see what the "average age" on a diesel PU is.
Unless you already own it free and clear

WRM

WKR
Unless you already own it free and clear

I had a client who was giving me a late model Chevy last year. Days before, his wife put a gallon of the juice in the gas tank instead of the juice tank. That tanked it. Frankly, the more I learned about "modern" diesels, I was not overly disappointed, other than I could have sold it for a boatload.

They knocked out the Bros, so your air must be clean now.

Just give in and get you an EV and an "I Love JoePa" sticker. By the time you get this sorted, diesel will be over $10 a gallon.

I’ll pass but having lived in this valley for close to 15 years I don’t see how anyone can claim that our air quality has greatly improved. The number of days we are socked in with smog and don’t see the sun has increased greatly. I could get behind a hybrid pickup if only to save on fuel, as of right now none of the electric options makes sense for my lifestyle

If you have a diesel made between ~2008-2013 sell it. Deleting a pickup because the specific place you live doesn’t test *yet* is a shortsighted gamble, and it could end up costing you a lot more. It’s less headache to just get something with a newer, more reliable emissions system, or older less cumbersome system.

That eliminates your risk of been heavily fined, taken out of service immediately, or both.

Just one random guys opinion, of course, but I practice what I preach. If I move on from my 5.9, I’ll be looking mostly at gassers.

WRM

WKR
It’s less headache to just get something with a newer, more reliable emissions system

More reliable according to whom? When I researched models going back years my main conclusion was: the more they complicate the system, the more they screw it up. And the EPA/feds force them to keep modifying the systems. Based on your theory, it also seemingly is good business practice to produce an unreliable, mega-expensive product because the consumer will....choose to replace it with the newer, more expensive, more complicated iteration. And the beat goes on.

UMMM.....no thanks. Hoping to wring a few more years out of my 97. Getting ready to tear it apart for a major (likely final) overhaul.

jimh406

WKR
The reality is that there is a lot of the country without any emissions testing and will stay that way. But, what part of sell an illegal truck to others makes sense if you think someone will be heavily fined?

The people with first generation DPF trucks are a tiny minority and even a small minority that have probably removed the DPF. Those trucks are 12 years old or older. Most probably aren't even on the road.

I feel for them though. The EPA forced a policy through with no idea how to make it work right. Because it didn't work right and flat out made the vehicles unreliable, they essentially forced the owners to seek a method that make the diesels polute even more than the previous version without DPFs because they likely removed the Cats, too. Great job!

Last edited: