Let's See Your Semi-Custom Tikka Builds

Antares

WKR
I noticed you haven’t done the Tikka beaver tail fore end mod. I really like it because when I prop my stock up on a rest it is more level vs the slightly rounded fore end.

How do those things work? They just screw on over the existing forend I'm guessing? Does it help stiffen the forend much? Think this would be beneficial if you were trying to open a factory stock up for a sendero contour but were worried about the forend not being stiff enough for use with a bipod?

amassi

WKR
How do those things work? They just screw on over the existing forend I'm guessing? Does it help stiffen the forend much? Think this would be beneficial if you were trying to open a factory stock up for a sendero contour but were worried about the forend not being stiff enough for use with a bipod?
Bolts onto the middle bolt on your factory stock.
Not at all, it doesn't have any affect on the barrel channel.
I've put a c6 senderon into a factory stock, works just fine. There isn't much stock left but had no issues with handling g or accuracy20221229_185624.jpg

Antares

WKR
Bolts onto the middle bolt on your factory stock.
Not at all, it doesn't have any affect on the barrel channel.
I've put a c6 senderon into a factory stock, works just fine. There isn't much stock left but had no issues with handling g or accuracyView attachment 493617

Thanks for the pics! Yeah, I know it doesn't affect the barrel channel. I was asking if the beavertail would help stiffen the forend if you were concerned about it being too flimsy after opening the barrel channel. I'm probably not saying that very clearly... Do you have a pic of a factory stock with a sendero barrel? Curious to see how thin a side wall were talking about.

There is a post in here somewhere about a company that machines flutes and other gunsmith options, I have managed to lose the information if anyone wouldn’t mind.

Also is there any different (function wise) between mountain tactical and Lumley and what magazines work best?

NSI

WKR
There is a post in here somewhere about a company that machines flutes and other gunsmith options, I have managed to lose the information if anyone wouldn’t mind.

Also is there any different (function wise) between mountain tactical and Lumley and what magazines work best?
I think you're talking about Twisted Barrel in Douglas, WY. Long Range International (LRI) in South Dakota is also a great option with more of a full service shop.

-J

gtriple

WKR
Did you grab any weights before the optic and suppressor were mounted? I can't decide between the mesa precision sock or the HNT26. The appeal of a folding stock when crawling through brush is strong!
I'll weigh it when I get back in a couple weeks

Rockchuck

WKR
Here is my latest Tikka build off a 300 wm donor t3x.
20221230_175355.jpg
300 WSM
20" C6 barrel 1:9 Sendero
Mesa Altitude stock
MT mag
MT trigger spring
Total weight 6 lb 11 oz

total weight of 9 lb 1 oz with
Hawkins Hybrid Rings
Bushy LRHS 4.5-18
Deadair nomad Ti can.

I see some cerakote and bolt fluting in the future, but had to get this up and running now for an Audad hunt in a couple months.

I have test loads ready for a ladder in the next few days running 200 gr CE lazers.

Should be fun!

I’ve got a CTR coming and couldn’t pass up the pricing on the KRG Bravo. Anyone stand hunt with this stock and how much more does it weigh than the factory stock?

Firedad

FNG
I’m a newbie looking at building a 7prc on a tikka. It was mentioned coal may be limited. I think it did anyways. Could I build a 7prc and fit the max coal heavy loads or no? What caliber and model would you recommend building from? Unless I get lucky and find a used tikka I’ll be buying a new one.

amassi

WKR
I’m a newbie looking at building a 7prc on a tikka. It was mentioned coal may be limited. I think it did anyways. Could I build a 7prc and fit the max coal heavy loads or no? What caliber and model would you recommend building from? Unless I get lucky and find a used tikka I’ll be buying a new one.
You can fit saami spec ammo so factory and reloads at saami coal.
Any magnum cartridge would work, a long action (7mm rem mag, 300 win mag) would save a part swap of the bolt stop

264 MHC

FNG
I just did this a few weeks ago. I just used some heavy duty 80 Grit 3" wide sandpaper meant for a long block. I masked off the barrel and set the barrel action in the stock (wouldn't go all the way down of course) and started sanding up and down the channel with the stock held in a vise. Once I got enough to get a thread or two of the action screws to catch, I sanded until the paper would slide freely down the whole channel and then tighted the screws a quarter turn, then repeat. Did this probably 20 times before the action would seat all the way in where it needed to be, then finished with a grit progression to 400. That thick sandpaper will easily slide all the way through the channel now so plenty of clearance. Rifle shot sub .5 MOA groups the other day after doing this so I think its good. I have not used it with a bipod, only the front rest pictured, but it seems to be stiff enough for what I am doing. I will post some pics when I get home in a few hours.
Sorry just getting back to this but here is what a Carbon 6 Sendero (.830 muzzle) looks like with the factory stock opened up:

61BD5D47-665D-4C57-9C71-445D26F17F4F.jpeg

D5F4BAF5-3297-4AF9-8640-382E9EE39C4D.jpeg

506D98BC-75FE-4248-A31E-96704772F2AE.jpeg

Kimmo H

FNG
20220802_191322.jpg
After lurking around here in Rokslide for a while I came across this thread, and quickly sailed through all 102 pages filled with all these stunning builds. Very inspiring stuff, and it makes a Finn envious to see all the custom Tikka parts and stocks that are available over there in the states!
I'll contribute a few of my own Tikkas, starting with the 17HMR.

T1X 17HMR 16"
KKC laminated stock, Devcon bedded, piece of picatinny rail embedded in the forend for quick detach UTG Recon 360 bipod / flashlight use
Custom made billet aluminum bolt shroud, anodized black. I made the 3d model and a local machining school cut it for me on a 4 axis mill.
Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44 with alumina lens covers
Optilock rings
Osuma suppressor
Usually has a 3HGR Overberget sling on it as its mostly a hunting gun and gets carried around a lot.

I have become a huge fan of the HMR. I think its great for small game and absolute joy to shoot at the range. Relatively quiet suppressed and very effective up to 200 yards :)

I have a couple t3x:s too, but I'll have to take a pic of just the guns to post them here. Every pic I have on my phone atm has a animal of some sort with the gun, and I'm not sure if posting stuff like that is ok here.

Firedad

FNG
Watching this and have asked a few questions still unable to settle on something. Now I have thought of another option and hope to pick your brains. I found a browning x bolt magnum bolt assembly to go in my x bolt 30.06. My local GS can thread a barrel blank for the same cost to buy a prefit.
Then the only issue left is 7 prc ammo won’t fit in the bottom metal & mag. Are there solutions?
Stupid idea?

Watching this and have asked a few questions still unable to settle on something. Now I have thought of another option and hope to pick your brains. I found a browning x bolt magnum bolt assembly to go in my x bolt 30.06. My local GS can thread a barrel blank for the same cost to buy a prefit.
Then the only issue left is 7 prc ammo won’t fit in the bottom metal & mag. Are there solutions?
Stupid idea?
Most smith's won't rebarrel an X bolt.

Pro tip

Be very careful when using a heat gun to remove factory CTR rail. I was applying heat to top of rail and side and sure enough I scorched part of my factory stock. Thankfully I’m getting a KRG Bravo.