Leophoto Versus RRS Tripods

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
Other than the obvious, USA made versus China, does anybody have real world experience with the leophoto tripods versus the really right stuff? The new leos are basically knock off rrs from what I can tell. Curious how the machining is and rigidity of the carbon.

Pretty nice but not as nice.

The clamping force on the RRS for shooting from a rifle is just better oz for oz. I also greatly prefer the SOAR specific heads more for regular shooting.

My buddy and I share a RRS 33TFC with BH40 head, Leofoto 324 LH40, and 284 LH30 heads.

If I was shooting comps, shot more, or had the money to spend I’d go RRS. It is a better product.

If I needed to cut corners on my budget, didn’t depend on my tripod to perform under timed courses, and occasionally shot the Leofoto gets it done just fine.

OP
longrange13

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty nice but not as nice.

The clamping force on the RRS for shooting from a rifle is just better oz for oz. I also greatly prefer the SOAR specific heads more for regular shooting.

My buddy and I share a RRS 33TFC with BH40 head, Leofoto 324 LH40, and 284 LH30 heads.

If I was shooting comps, shot more, or had the money to spend I’d go RRS. It is a better product.

If I needed to cut corners on my budget, didn’t depend on my tripod to perform under timed courses, and occasionally shot the Leofoto gets it done just fine.
Right on, thanks for the info

I've had the Leofoto 324 and 284 next to a RRS Ascend-14. The Leofoto's look really nice, but the carbon is crap. Extend them out, grab the legs and apply a little bit of pressure and watch the legs flex a ridiculous amount. The 32mm legs of the 324 flex twice as much as the 28mm Ascend-14. The 284 is a noodle at full height. They are knockoffs of RRS that use far inferior materials. Sure they will work in the field if you are aware of the limitations that they have.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I've had the Leofoto 324 and 284 next to a RRS Ascend-14. The Leofoto's look really nice, but the carbon is crap. Extend them out, grab the legs and apply a little bit of pressure and watch the legs flex a ridiculous amount. The 32mm legs of the 324 flex twice as much as the 28mm Ascend-14. The 284 is a noodle at full height. They are knockoffs of RRS that use far inferior materials. Sure they will work in the field if you are aware of the limitations that they have.
I've got a LS284 (compares in size to the Ascend) but have been wondering EXACTLY what you're describing here - is there a big difference in stiffness? Apparantly yes. Mine is so much better than my previous slick that I've been happy so far (for glassing), but I'm not shooting from it (yet).

Do you use the Ascend Reg size with just a platform base (ie not the integrated inverted ball head)?

Last edited:
I've got a LS284 (compares in size to the Ascend) but have been wondering EXACTLY what you're describing here - is there a big difference in stiffness? Apparantly yes. Mine is so much better than my previous slick that I've been happy, but I'm not shooting from it (yet).

Do you use the Ascend Reg size with just a platform base (ie not the integrated inverted ball head)?
Yes, Ascend-14 regular with the platform center column. I’ll use it with the short configuration center column with a RRS BC-18 for lightweight trips and can still shoot off of that little head. Other times I’ll remove the center column and mount the Leofoto Anvil clone directly to the tripod. The Leofoto MA-30L is actually a good head. It functions just like an Anvil, but is 4 oz lighter and has zero slop in the locking lever. The Anvil is a bit more compact, but the new one I tried had slop in the lever, so even when the lever was partially closed and the ball locked, there was a 1/8” of play. As much as I didn’t want to, I preferred the MA-30 for both the tolerances and the quarter pound less weight. IMG_8671.jpeg

id_jon

WKR
If you never touch a RRS, you'll probably be happy enough with a leofoto. I was perfectly happy with my leofoto 323c for the last year, but I was able to handle a RRS this weekend, and the difference is shocking. Like has been mentioned, the RRS that is way smaller diameter is significantly more stable.

id_jon

WKR
If you never touch a RRS, you'll probably be happy enough with a leofoto. I was perfectly happy with my leofoto 323c for the last year, but I was able to handle a RRS this weekend, and the difference is shocking. Like has been mentioned, the RRS that is way smaller diameter is significantly more stable.

No I don't see it either. It seems like they are regularly removing items that are clear knock offs of RRS.
I think RRS hits them with litigation as much as they can but it's not much use since Leofoto is China based so stealing US IP is their whole thing. Leofoto claimed to invent inverted tripod legs or whatever on their website but they released theirs a full year after RRS did. Their whole business model has been ripping off RRS from the start. I understand budgets may drive people to buy Leofoto but people vocally supporting them does give me a bad taste.

Snowhunter11

Lil-Rokslider
I use the ldr-284c flip lock with benro S2 head. Sturdy and fairly lightweight. Happy with it so far..have used with10x42 binos and 65mm spotter. my 2c

Last edited:

khuber84

WKR
I've been content with my 362C and 323C Leo's for match/hunting. F me.......I guess I may need swap em for a 22i and a tvc33. My wallet be crying already!

I guess I’m gonna be the odd one out here…. I’ve been shooting PRS since PRS was a thing. When the big tripods started to come into play, there was no way I was going to pay what RRS wanted. I ended up getting the LN-364C and put a RRS TA-3-LC head on it. It’s been on the line beside RRS tripods and I’ve never noticed any difference. As for the leg flex that someone above mentioned, there is none with mine. Now, I’ve had mine for several years so it may be made differently than the current/smaller models. When I was shooting an MDT chassis with a full inner and outer weight set, the rifle was well north of 20lbs and the 364C was rock solid.

Lawnboi

WKR
Yes, Ascend-14 regular with the platform center column. I’ll use it with the short configuration center column with a RRS BC-18 for lightweight trips and can still shoot off of that little head. Other times I’ll remove the center column and mount the Leofoto Anvil clone directly to the tripod. The Leofoto MA-30L is actually a good head. It functions just like an Anvil, but is 4 oz lighter and has zero slop in the locking lever. The Anvil is a bit more compact, but the new one I tried had slop in the lever, so even when the lever was partially closed and the ball locked, there was a 1/8” of play. As much as I didn’t want to, I preferred the MA-30 for both the tolerances and the quarter pound less weight. View attachment 594784
The new one, the arc version is adjustable and comes loose to use the rlok pin. You can adjust it just as tight as the original.

The new one, the arc version is adjustable and comes loose to use the rlok pin. You can adjust it just as tight as the original.
Do you mean the clamp that holds the Arca/Pic, or the lever that locks the ball?

I’m speaking of the main lever that locks the ball. When that is clamped and the head is locked in position, there is play in that lever on the splines that attach it to the head.

Lawnboi

WKR
Do you mean the clamp that holds the Arca/Pic, or the lever that locks the ball?

I’m speaking of the main lever that locks the ball. When that is clamped and the head is locked in position, there is play in that lever on the splines that attach it to the head.
You can adjust both.

I would call RRS soar and get it figured out, it shouldn’t be that way.

If had both the old and new version, didn’t like the new at first but it’s grown on me. The clamp on the ball has been the same on both of mine, only difference being the ARCA clamp.

mthayr

WKR
These threads always amuse me... "Is product 'X' that costs a third of product 'Y' just as good?"

We all know the addage that "You get what you pay for" - so no, Leofoto is not "just as good" as Really Right Stuff. The question should be, "Is Leofoto good enough for my needs?" - and the answer I'd bet for 95% of the folks here is yeah, probably.

RRS is, and always has been, one of the top brands in the photography field, and since expanding into the shooting sports industry they are at the top of that game as well. That being said, are you:

a.) A professional photographer that earns a living at it?
b.) A professional hunting guide that earns a living at it?
c.) A MIL/LEO sniper... who earns a living at it, or...
d.) Have a couple grand sitting in your checking account that you don't need for better optics, or ammunition to practice with, or to take a shooting course with, or to actually spend on tags to go hunt with; and are happy to part with, so you can have bragging rights at the next NRL/PRS match?

If any of the above are true in your case, then yes - you should buy an RRS and you will be entirely happy with your purchase. If you're not one of the above, then is spending three-times the cost of a Leofoto (admittedly a knock-off, but that's another discussion) for maybe 20% better performance, a wise decision?

I'd say that unless you have a lights-out shooting rifle, alpha-level optics on it and around your neck, and already have trophies on the wall (taxidermy or plaques, or both) then you should probably think twice about where your cash is going.

Just my $0.02

BBob

WKR
I'd say that unless you have a lights-out shooting rifle, alpha-level optics on it and around your neck, and already have trophies on the wall (taxidermy or plaques, or both) then you should probably think twice about where your cash is going.
Yes, so I guess RRS was the right decision for me :) Glassing is super important for most of what I do so yeah for me buying the RRS and the head I use was and is very important to me. I didn't arrive there willy nilly either. I buy and test a lot of stuff to assess what I want to use.