Leophoto Versus RRS Tripods

khuber84

WKR
What if we just don’t like supporting China copies?

I get it though, I have to go to Walmart for some stuff too.
Two vets, fat boy, Sunwayfoto, innorel, Leofoto, PVA, pretty much ALL tripods are made in Asia cept for RRS. So if you only want to support US made, RRS it is.

Two vets, fat boy, Sunwayfoto, innorel, Leofoto, PVA, pretty much ALL tripods are made in Asia cept for RRS. So if you only want to support US made, RRS it is.
I'm not that knowledgeable about all those other brands but I think what sets Leofoto apart is their whole business model has been ripping off RRS from the start. I don't hear the same about those other brands. For me it's not that Leofoto is made in Asia, that's basically impossible to avoid when purchasing most other stuff. It's their business practice itself.

khuber84

WKR
I'm not that knowledgeable about all those other brands but I think what sets Leofoto apart is their whole business model has been ripping off RRS from the start. I don't hear the same about those other brands. For me it's not that Leofoto is made in Asia, that's basically impossible to avoid when purchasing most other stuff. It's their business practice itself.
They event want as far to call it their SOAR line. I have their 36/40mm inverted 2 piece Tripod 362C Tripod, and yes it's a blatant copy of a 22i. I've used the 22i, is it the same? No......but it's 93% the same for less than half the price. I'll eventually get an RRS. I'd just like to find a 3 section Tripod I could shoot seated with all the legs in first lock position. Only 4 sections have given that ability and they heavy.

MtnW

Lil-Rokslider
I do not support the CCP if I have a choice. I wait until I have the funds to not buy CCP made goods. Much of the CCP made products start out okay then at some point get cheapened up in the manufacturing process . Many Chinese living in CHINA know this and do not buy CCP products. Many Chinese do not buy luxury goods in China but wait and purchase these luxury goods when they travel to Europe etc.. The Chinese found out long ago too many of the products being sold in CHINA as original are knock offs and of inferior quality. Can’t understand in todays world why AMERICANS both
retailers and consumers want to support the CCP.

Lawnboi

WKR
I understand that but leofoto took it to a new level. There’s a reason you can’t get some of the stuff they had out anymore in the US.

I buy plenty China stuff, I just choose not to if I absolutely don’t have to when there is an equal, or superior product made in the US. In RRS case I’d go as far as say that they not only are a better product, they took tripods for shooting sports to a new level.

And the above comment was a comment directed toward some of the other posts.

MtnW

Lil-Rokslider
Do you understand the difference between purchasing from CCP CHINESE MADE and ASIAN made as in Japanese, Korean etc.?

khuber84

WKR
Do you understand the difference between purchasing from CCP CHINESE MADE and ASIAN made as in Japanese, Korean etc.?
I know my PVA branded tripod, made in China. Fatboy and Two Vets......China. I mean they the king of make what you want to your spec for 75% less than anywhere in N America or EU. Leupold and Athlon Tripods? Rebranded leofoto, from China. The Gunwerks tripods? China......I was saying Asia, but meant China. Japan isn't Asian in the Manufacturing game, they just as good or better than anything US or EU. Korea H as some good stuff too, as does the Philippines. I totally get how the copyright laws aren't going to stop and Chinese company from cloning or stealing proprietary designs or tech. It ****** up they can do that.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I think RRS hits them with litigation as much as they can but it's not much use since Leofoto is China based so stealing US IP is their whole thing. Leofoto claimed to invent inverted tripod legs or whatever on their website but they released theirs a full year after RRS did. Their whole business model has been ripping off RRS from the start. I understand budgets may drive people to buy Leofoto but people vocally supporting them does give me a bad taste.
Are we 100% positive Leophoto is not making components for RRS? I would think they buy some pieces from China even if they are mostly made or assembled in the US. I don't think most people realize how difficult it is to find US manufacturers to make stuff or parts. Contrary to popular belief we're not very good at it. I have no clue, just wondering if anyone knows for sure.

Are we 100% positive Leophoto is not making components for RRS? I would think they buy some pieces from China even if they are mostly made or assembled in the US. I don't think most people realize how difficult it is to find US manufacturers to make stuff or parts. Contrary to popular belief we're not very good at it. I have no clue, just wondering if anyone knows for sure.
I highly doubt it since I've seen RRS representatives confirm they have tried to sue Leofoto multiple times (comments seen on SH). Plus Leofoto's quality isn't on par with RRS at all and THEIR business model is ripping off RRS (they claim to have invented the inverted tripod legs when theirs came out a year after RRS' lol).

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I do not support the CCP if I have a choice. I wait until I have the funds to not buy CCP made goods. Much of the CCP made products start out okay then at some point get cheapened up in the manufacturing process . Many Chinese living in CHINA know this and do not buy CCP products. Many Chinese do not buy luxury goods in China but wait and purchase these luxury goods when they travel to Europe etc.. The Chinese found out long ago too many of the products being sold in CHINA as original are knock offs and of inferior quality. Can’t understand in todays world why AMERICANS both
retailers and consumers want to support the CCP.
Honestly you don't have a choice. Even if it says Made in America there's a good chance some of the parts came from China. I don't know if you've ever been over there or seen the factories but they're, really really good at making stuff super cheap stuff and super high-end stuff. Most of the stuff we want to buy, there isn't even somebody in the US to build it. Heck something like 13% plus of "American Made" cars are Chinese parts. Leupold, Vortex, even some Zeiss and most other optics company all use China for something. Assume most textiles from Made in America backpacks or clothes likely come from Asia, I think we still do have a good textile industry here, but who knows. Guess someone does. Guns are a different story of course. Would be nice if we did make more here. Keep in mind only 50% of something has to be made with us products to be called made in America it's kind of a scam

Last edited:

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I know my PVA branded tripod, made in China. Fatboy and Two Vets......China. I mean they the king of make what you want to your spec for 75% less than anywhere in N America or EU. Leupold and Athlon Tripods? Rebranded leofoto, from China. The Gunwerks tripods? China......I was saying Asia, but meant China. Japan isn't Asian in the Manufacturing game, they just as good or better than anything US or EU. Korea H as some good stuff too, as does the Philippines. I totally get how the copyright laws aren't going to stop and Chinese company from cloning or stealing proprietary designs or tech. It ****** up they can do that.
There's a time limit on patents you got to remember that too. Copyrighted stuff is protected by US Customs pretty well. There's a reason there's so many cheap Atlas knockoffs on the market, and they are cheap junk.

BBob

WKR
Are we 100% positive Leophoto is not making components for RRS?
As far as I know they (RRS) are still running their own cnc machines making their own parts. Mby some small hardware is from China but as far as the machining it was done in house. I want to say they have stated they source US carbon as well. Same for Kirk photo products. Outdoorsmans is the same. They use a local to them cnc shop and at least attempt to source if not completely source US made base materials.

Last edited:

MtnW

Lil-Rokslider
Honestly you don't have a choice. Even if it says Made in America there's a good chance some of the parts came from China. I don't know if you've ever been over there or seen the factories but they're, really really good at making stuff super cheap stuff and super high-end stuff. Most of the stuff we want to buy, there isn't even somebody in the US to build it. Heck something like 13% plus of "American Made" cars are Chinese parts. Leupold, Vortex, even some Zeiss and most other optics company all use China for something. Assume most textiles from Made in America backpacks or clothes likely come from Asia, I think we still do have a good textile industry here, but who knows. Guess someone does. Guns are a different story of course. Would be nice if we did make more here. Keep in mind only 50% of something has to be made with us products to be called made in America it's kind of a scam

Glad you are the self appointed final authority on CCP manufacturing. Your quote “we don’t have a choice” is entertaining at best. Everyone is a self proclaimed expert on the internet. Leaving for China again on Sunday for a 3 week biz trip. Glad I have all of your facts and expertise on China.

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Assume most textiles from Made in America backpacks or clothes likely come from Asia...
Definitely not the case for us. Not at all.

Alright, back on topic to Leofoto and RRS...

Leofoto has not only made a similar product to RRS, they have blatantly copied their design, engineering, and innovation. And they have gone as far as using the same product names, such as SOAR, to create further confusion and disruption. I don't think everyone has the means (or need) for a $1k tripod, nor do I only own RRS tripods, but I cannot personally (just speaking for myself here) support Leofoto in how aggressive they have been to rip off a company that is trying to do great things in the USA.

Leofoto has not only made a similar product to RRS, they have blatantly copied their design, engineering, and innovation. And they have gone as far as using the same product names, such as SOAR, to create further confusion and disruption.
I try to tell people this whenever the topic comes up. Leofoto needs to be shamed more for it and people should stop steering people towards their product. Just a complete scumbag business model. I sound like a broken record but people SHOULD care about this stuff. It isn't just that they're a China-based company, I don't have an inherent issue with that. Their specific business practices are horrible.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Definitely not the case for us. Not at all.

Alright, back on topic to Leofoto and RRS...

Leofoto has not only made a similar product to RRS, they have blatantly copied their design, engineering, and innovation. And they have gone as far as using the same product names, such as SOAR, to create further confusion and disruption. I don't think everyone has the means (or need) for a $1k tripod, nor do I only own RRS tripods, but I cannot personally (just speaking for myself here) support Leofoto in how aggressive they have been to rip off a company that is trying to do great things in the USA.
Good to know, I feel bad for Atlas also who has been fighting the same issue for years. Sucks for RRS, it's not right. Good stuff on EXO....I'm sure it's extra work. When I do the sporting goods Expo in Salt Lake City nothing but freaking Chinese manufacturers, buttons, zippers, etc. Are you able to source stuff like that in the US also?

Last edited:

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved

Gonne leave this here.

TLDR: Comparing equally sized models of the Leofoto and RRS, the RRS is going to be stiffer by a significant amount

Flyjunky

WKR
True but also look into Pro Media Gear. They make awesome stuff, all USA, super stable, but it’s a touch heavier than RRS.