Tripod Overload Comparison

Here is a website I found helpful when comparing tripods. I've not found a better database on the subject:
Thanks for sharing. My goal this year is to dial in my optics. My eyes arent what they were even 5 years ago. Im learning that any inefficiencies = critters lost. So not just weight but efficiency, willingness to pack, and what will make me use them more! So im really spending some time, study, and coin this year to fix that. This website will help!

OP
Turkeygetpwnd38
@Turkeygetpwnd38 -- It took me a minute to figure out what was going on here. Tricer pan on the MA30 head. Thats smart... So you can glass off tricer and shoot off of the MA30.... I just got the tricer and have my reservations on shooting 8-9 lb gun off of it.
Yea the tricer is nice but couldn’t imagine shooting off of it. It’s just barely enough for my 88 spotter but for the weight no complaints. You put a small arca place on it and you are still under 5oz.

Makes sense. I think it’s ingenious! I feel like if I were to mount binoculars on an adapter on top of the Tricer it would create too much of a fulcrum on the MA30 And too easy to get steady. How does that work out?

Cynoscion

Lil-Rokslider
I do the same thing but with a small rig pan head on top of my rrs anvil on a tfct 33. There is a weight penalty for sure but stability for glassing while still being able to be super solid in just about any shooting position is awesome.

OP
Turkeygetpwnd38
Makes sense. I think it’s ingenious! I feel like if I were to mount binoculars on an adapter on top of the Tricer it would create too much of a fulcrum on the MA30 And too easy to get steady. How does that work out?
I don’t have enough field time with it to comment. I know a lot of other guys do it, the ma30 is rock solid and not on a center column, I don’t see it being an issue. I’ll have a lot of time behind it in the upcoming months. I actually don’t mind glassing with binos off a ball head, just when the spotter comes out, it’s a pain.

I do the same thing but with a small rig pan head on top of my rrs anvil on a tfct 33. There is a weight penalty for sure but stability for glassing while still being able to be super solid in just about any shooting position is awesome.
Good to know. I may give it a try this season. Those RRS tripods look nice. Never put hands on one, just can’t seem to get over the weight penalty. I have a Siri 2204 and I feel that thing is sturdy enough for the heaviest of spotters. Having a hard time seeing what a 3+ lb tripod gains me. I was using a vortex razor 85 MM and it weighs in at 4.5 lbs it handled it fine. Why RRS over lighter options?

Cynoscion

Lil-Rokslider
I guess the best way to describe RRS equipment, not just their tripods but even their heads and other equipment, would be to compare it to alpha glass. If you can remember the first time you looked through swaro binos after only glassing through Nikons or bushies, it’s about the same. Their tripods are just leaps and bounds above all of the others in every way. Build quality, materials used, quality control and customer service are all phenomenal.

OP
Turkeygetpwnd38
@Turkeygetpwnd38 @Cynoscion thanks a bunch fellas.
@Turkeygetpwnd38 — let’s see your glass setup. Seeing how you are very detail oriented I’d love to see what you have setup in a similar fashion as this forum
Want to be clear I agree with @Cynoscion , RRS is better than Leofoto, quality/stability/US made. It just appears for my niche use and weight requirements, the leofoto might work better, but time will tell.

I’ve gone through just about every glassing set up, what I’ve settled on and liking is some combination (depending on the hunt) of 12x NL, Kowa 553, and Kowa 883. Before the 12x NLs I was using 10x EL and 15x SLC, I really liked that set up as well just wanted to try a one do it all binocular and after 2 years the 12x is working for me. If you hunt coues though the 15x is hard to replace.
You don’t have to go all alpha, a 10x or 12x binocular, compact spotter and 80 class spotter is a very versatile system that will work for 99% of hunts.

Cynoscion

Lil-Rokslider
Attached are pics of just about every conceivable option I could ever use depending on the hunt and circumstances. They may not be in the right order but here they are (everything is on the RRS TFCT 33 w/anvil 30 head and small rig pan head added except for shooting):

-camera set up
-rangefinder set up if packing Swaro 15x56 slc
-Swaro 15x56 slc w/outdoorsman stud and adapter
-Kowa 773
-Swaro 10x42 el range w/RRS polymer Cinch adapter
-shooting setup on the anvil 30 w/ a Thunderbird plate/bag combo (awesome piece of equipment btw) if the rifle doesn’t have an ARCA plate installed
-shooting setup on just the anvil 30 w/a rifle that has an ARCA plate installed

Hope all this helps

Attachments

• IMG_4273.jpeg
    IMG_4273.jpeg
    349.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4272.jpeg
    IMG_4272.jpeg
    408.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4271.jpeg
    IMG_4271.jpeg
    429.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4270.jpeg
    IMG_4270.jpeg
    380.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4269.jpeg
    IMG_4269.jpeg
    368.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4133.jpeg
    IMG_4133.jpeg
    305.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4028.jpeg
    IMG_4028.jpeg
    353.4 KB · Views: 19
Attached are pics of just about every conceivable option I could ever use depending on the hunt and circumstances. They may not be in the right order but here they are (everything is on the RRS TFCT 33 w/anvil 30 head and small rig pan head added except for shooting):

-camera set up
-rangefinder set up if packing Swaro 15x56 slc
-Swaro 15x56 slc w/outdoorsman stud and adapter
-Kowa 773
-Swaro 10x42 el range w/RRS polymer Cinch adapter
-shooting setup on the anvil 30 w/ a Thunderbird plate/bag combo (awesome piece of equipment btw) if the rifle doesn’t have an ARCA plate installed
-shooting setup on just the anvil 30 w/a rifle that has an ARCA plate installed

Hope all this helps
Thank you so much. I will be coming back to look at details as I put things together. I am jumping into my first alpha glass. My setup will likely be a 10x42 - ELs or 10x40 Zeiss SFL (not really considered alpha glass, but seems to be very high quality.) then Swarovski’ ATS 65 or 80.

right now my priority is the spotter. I’m just sold my vortex razor 85 which has low quality glass and extremely heavy.
I’m torn, between the 65 and 80. most things I read say that the 65 is more than plenty for 90% of hunting situations. But the ATS 80 still weighs less than my razor, so the way I look at it I’m winning by losing 12 oz from the vortex even over the ats 80. I don’t think an RRS wil be in my budget for a few years. At this point my money will be going to glass as that will show dividends quicker than a tripod.