Really Right Stuff Ultralight Tripod

RMB518

FNG
Apparently many folks round here have some serious investment in spotting scopes, so I suppose in tripods too?

I just bought my first spotting scope and it needs a decent tripod.

I have seen Really Right Stuff ( RRS ) carried by professional photographers I know. There are sold as USA made and seems pretty damn nice.

Anyone tried there products for hunting? The ultralight version seems to hit all the boxes even if it us expensive. Im a sucker for real USA made (not just assembled) but it has to be better than import goods.

Thanks!

OP
RMB518

RMB518

FNG
Oh man I must have been on some filter. It was only showing me for sale items.

Found the beta.

Its the TFC-14 but I think I can now find the desired information.

Thanks!

BBob

WKR
The TFC has no center column and IMO not optimal as a glassing tripod. People that use tripods primarily for shooting off of seem to prefer no center column with a ballhead like the Anvil. IMO the Ascend makes for a better glassing tripod with it's center column.

I am using the RRS Ascend this year with the integrated head. Total weight is under 3.5 pounds and it's proven to be fairly versatile. However, the built in head does not have the range of adjustment that I am used to on my other ball heads so it took some getting used to.

The tripod is definitely nice, but it is tough to justify the premium price for very littler performance gain in it's weight class.

Lawnboi

WKR
The ascend is a great tripod if your only using glass off it.

RRS has become pretty big in the shooting/hunting world, you need to go on their SOAR site to see those options.

I use a 24L, but my aim is a shooting/glassing tripod. It’s way to much to carry just to lock a spotting scope on

OP
RMB518

RMB518

FNG
Thanks for those insites.

That elevated center column bring up a good point. Im mostly thinking of using it to hold a spotting scope. The only tripod Ive used had one and I definitely used that feature.

Ill have to get a look at the Gitzo and Ascent too.

It will certainly be used from the truck but also packed into the backcountry too. So weight/versatility is a consideration.

If you convert the Ascent to a short column configuration it will weigh under 3 pounds and from all sitting positions it's MONEY. However you'll only get about 3" of vertical adjustment from the column.

BBob

WKR
However you'll only get about 3" of vertical adjustment from the column.
I’ve found that the short column has worked out fine so far and I haven’t needed more even though I’d like to have a little extra. I carried the extension in the pack for awhile but after not needing it I started leaving it behind. I did have a conversation with them and suggested that they might consider something like a 5” option.

I’ve found that the short column has worked out fine so far and I haven’t needed more even though I’d like to have a little extra. I carried the extension in the pack for awhile but after not needing it I started leaving it behind. I did have a conversation with them and suggested that they might consider something like a 5” option.
At 5” it would be perfect. With its current throw, I can’t quite make the adjustment from my angled spotter to binos.