Shorter 2-section inverted tripods for hunting?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Curious about these from those that have experience. I am using a 28mm upper 4-section tripod with fixed apex right now. Have scored hits ckipped into a panning ballhead out past 600 with it when using rear support, way, way harder without that.

For Tripods like this 282CMX Leofoto that's coming (https://leofotooutdoors.com/product...od-fixed-apex-platform?variant=42168444551351): I've read inverted legs are a gimmick and some saying they are awesome. What's been your experience? Is a shorter model that goes to 48" like this and compacts to 30" or so useful for hunting? I could see the simplicity awesome for rapid shooting, but glassing application being much tougher.

For an all arounder, does this style make sense? The weight ratings are much, much higher, so I'm sure they are stiffer than a 4 section tripod.

seand

Lil-Rokslider
They look like a real advantage to me, speed of deployment. I’ll probably pick one up when available. I’ll run it without a head, just a plate screwed onto the top.

I haven’t used an inverted tripod, but here is my thoughts on this one:

My Leofoto LS323c is not the nearly the equal of my RRS33. I only use it for shooting off a plate/bag, not locked into a ballhead. I don’t expect the 282cmx to be rigid enough to support shooting off a ballhead. Could be wrong/suprised.

The 362cmx is listed as only ~1/2# heavier and might be significant more rigid if you want to shoot off a ballhead.

I’m not sure if the leg twist direction is reversed from normal (are they using opp hand twist locks, or the same components as the regular tripod). This would bug me.

The 30” collapsed length is significant. It’s ~4 inches longer than my 3 section tripods, ~2” if you compare the three section with head and two section with no head. This is probably longer than the length of your pack, won’t fit in a side pocket without sticking up above your head. This is why I think the majority of folks choose a 4 section tripod over a three section, even though they are heavier, slower to deploy, and less stable.

I really like the heights on the compact two section. 48” is tall enough for me to shoot off of standing, and kneeling would be good when the legs aren’t extended.

Glassing is no big deal to adjust height, just unlock the far leg and kick it out away from you to lower if it’s too tall when sitting. Obviously no standing and glassing, but for hunting I think standing and glassing is over rated.

Last edited:

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you shoot long range and glass off of a tripod, the inverted are the best style for stability and ease. You only give up size and some weight. I strap my rifle and tripod to the outside of my pack always, so doesn't matter if it is long to me.

I want it accessible fast for shooting and for glassing. Not for compact size to fit into my pack.

I have the standard version of this. I will buy the short one. I was looking at cutting a few inches off the one I have, but will also get the short one.
  • I can adjust any leg with very little movement.
  • It is fast.
  • It is more stable than anything close to the weight.
  • I never get crap in my leg lock anymore.
  • Folding the legs out to the first notch deploys directly to my kneeling height for shots with the tall one.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I ran a beefy three section and anvil 30. With my set up now I am nearly as stable. I only give up in the margins, it’s not enough to matter except in extreme situations.

I run the 35mm motorcycle grip Leofoto ball head now. I like using it to drive the ball head when glassing and when shooting off it.

It has a tension setting that is nice, I can glass with it set and don’t worry about it moving while I scan and grid.
How wobbly or stable is it shooting off a ballhead. Do you find it acceptable, Have you compared to a beefier tripod or RRS?