Kuiu vs Sitka

ianpadron

WKR
This thread is hilarious haha. Can't we keep it together and stay on track boys? Acting like all the cry babies protesting around the country these days.

Anywho...

KUIU, Sitka, FL...they all make great shit. I use pieces from all of them.

For athletic/muscular dudes, KUIU is hard to beat in my opinion. My Sitka and FL pieces are more boxy. In terms of performance, FL takes the cake in terms of base layers (although KUIU's Peloton stuff is LEGIT) in my experience. Their wool is super high quality and pretty durable compared to other brands. KUIU makes awesome midlayers that are purpose built, I like their mid and insulating layers, especially the Peloton and Kenai jackets. Their pants are also very well thought out. I use the Chinook and Alpine, they fit like a dream and take me through September high country hunts to late season in the snow. The built in knee pads are way less bulky than the removable ones offered from Sitka. They are also WAY lighter. (KUIU Chinook 18 ounces, Sitka Timberline Pant 34 ounces). KUIU tends to take the cake in terms of weight, almost across the board.

Sitka makes the best softshells. I can't for the life of me find a good use for my KUIU Guide Jacket. It's a "wind-resistant" softshell that weighs 24 ounces...what the hell is the point in that? Give me the Windstopper pieces like the Timberline or Jetstream all day. The're waterfowling gear is unbeatable but I'm guessing that doesn't apply here.

At the end of the day. Break it down to function, fit, and price. If a piece works in all of those categories for you...who gives a rat's ass what the tag says.

I spend a lot of time and money researching and testing out gear, and try to avoid fan-boying over any 1 brand. That being said, for my uses and build, I have more KUIU pieces than the other 2 combined, for what it's worth.

Last edited:

Cgeb

WKR
Its pretty simple for me. I invested in Sikta as cheaply as I could (I have three sets) buying on sale or occasionally used. I have had the other if you want to call it non-premium camo (not talking Kuiu or FL). I like Sitka the patterns it works for me in the Mid-West and I love how comfortable it is. I never thought I would own $600 to $700 dollar sets of camo, but I'm glad I did it.

I don't have Kuiu to compare it to. However I'm not going to search (read pay) for the Golden Grail of Camo when I'm happy with Sitka. I'm not trying to talk anyone out of something, just trying to share my experiences with what I have tried.

The other thing I would like to point out is this website is "heavily geared" towards a western hunter. I get it, that's kind of what it's setup for, but not everyone on the site hunts on the side of a mountain. So a camo, boots, gun, etc. that is a standard in the West, may not be the best choice for the rest of the country. The terrain, conditions, animals in your area should dictate what you do and what might work best for you.

smartweed

FNG
Kuiu superdown hooded jacket is great imo. Used it several times last year to sit still in cold conditions. Very nice to have a long almost as a peace of mind item to because if you get stuck when the temperature drops out the thing really makes a difference. Going to get a pair of the super down pants to carry around this year too they look like the bomb as far as a warm over there goes.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

I used the Sitka puffy pants this past elk season for a Montana rifle hunt. I was really impressed with them. They kept me warm glassing, and they actually blocked the wind pretty good. After using them, I won't ever be on a late season hunt without them.

I also have the cloudburst pants and jacket. They work well as long as they are kept clean. Towards the end of the year, I was sitting on a stand whitetail hunting in the rain for two maybe three hours. My pants had recently been washed and kept me dry. My jacket however, had been worn quite a bit and was dirty. It didn't take long for it to get saturated. A good wash, and it was back in working order. Lesson learned. They are also a little on the loud side.

Don't own any KUIU.

GKPrice

Banned
Its pretty simple for me. I invested in Sikta as cheaply as I could (I have three sets) buying on sale or occasionally used. I have had the other if you want to call it non-premium camo (not talking Kuiu or FL). I like Sitka the patterns it works for me in the Mid-West and I love how comfortable it is. I never thought I would own $600 to $700 dollar sets of camo, but I'm glad I did it.

I don't have Kuiu to compare it to. However I'm not going to search (read pay) for the Golden Grail of Camo when I'm happy with Sitka. I'm not trying to talk anyone out of something, just trying to share my experiences with what I have tried.

The other thing I would like to point out is this website is "heavily geared" towards a western hunter. I get it, that's kind of what it's setup for, but not everyone on the site hunts on the side of a mountain. So a camo, boots, gun, etc. that is a standard in the West, may not be the best choice for the rest of the country. The terrain, conditions, animals in your area should dictate what you do and what might work best for you.

a good point you make and more points in favor of Sitka as they realized that and make their "WhiteTail" line - It is hilarious how everyone thinks they this pattern or that pattern, 2 seasons ago I stood in the middle of a 35' trail with a 5 pt bull 50 yards in front of me for at least 5 minutes, just me and him ... I was wearing blaze orange and Yes, it was hunting season

GKPrice

Banned
Kuiu superdown hooded jacket is great imo. Used it several times last year to sit still in cold conditions. Very nice to have a long almost as a peace of mind item to because if you get stuck when the temperature drops out the thing really makes a difference. Going to get a pair of the super down pants to carry around this year too they look like the bomb as far as a warm over there goes.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
They all make a great down or "puffy" hooded jacket - I have them from each of the big 3 and the FL Uncomprahe wins for me

GKPrice

Banned
If you worked for mountain hardware then you would know your statement was false.

politics is one thing, going against the "philosophy" of the greater portion of hunters in America, throwing in with a bunch of elitists attempting to undo the very foundation of public lands in America is completely another ..... just get you facts straight - It's no "internet hearsay" ......

GKPrice

Banned
educate me..find me the info.

hell we all buy gasoline..there is no way the fuel industry cares about public land and hunting. you cant draw that dark of a line in the sand..

caring less about public lands and locking up public lands for personal use are 2 different things my friend - next will be reversal of designated wilderness areas, watch and see - then we'll see who the cry babies are

Chaska

FNG
This entire thread was about hi tech breathable fabrics (and politics I guess). In my experience under stress no breathable rain gear holds up. I have tried Kryptec, REI and Simms (know for fishing gear) and it is just a matter of time before your shoulders and forearms start to get wet. After days of fog and rain in the mountains or about 1/2 day on a river in the Olympic Peninsula or Alaska my experience is you will be wet. Ask a kodiak bear or an Alaskan moose hunting guide what is needed. It won't be breathable. Low tech products like Grundens will work. Also, breathability is only of value when humidity is below 100%, and in the sustained rains that I have experienced dry is worth way more than breathability.

I am looking for an ugly, durable, light weight polyvinyl rain jacket. No breathing required. The likely suspects are Grundens, Helly Hansen and Carhartt. Does anyone have a recommendation? I will wear this over my hi tech whatever for the damp, sustained wet conditions I seem to encounter all too often.

GKPrice

Banned
This entire thread was about hi tech breathable fabrics (and politics I guess). In my experience under stress no breathable rain gear holds up. I have tried Kryptec, REI and Simms (know for fishing gear) and it is just a matter of time before your shoulders and forearms start to get wet. After days of fog and rain in the mountains or about 1/2 day on a river in the Olympic Peninsula or Alaska my experience is you will be wet. Ask a kodiak bear or an Alaskan moose hunting guide what is needed. It won't be breathable. Low tech products like Grundens will work. Also, breathability is only of value when humidity is below 100%, and in the sustained rains that I have experienced dry is worth way more than breathability.

I am looking for an ugly, durable, light weight polyvinyl rain jacket. No breathing required. The likely suspects are Grundens, Helly Hansen and Carhartt. Does anyone have a recommendation? I will wear this over my hi tech whatever for the damp, sustained wet conditions I seem to encounter all too often.

what you just said is 110% truth IME as well - I will say though, on the water at lower Columbia R. all day in steady downpour that top end Sitka kept us dry as a damp bone and it's a bit more comfortable than my Grundens (but also alot more expensive) I have a new Helly Hanson jacket that's a lot lighter weight than "rubber", quiet it's NOT, $70 from Amazon, and so far pretty darn WP, it'll be in my pack this fall and maybe I try it for springers (that's a test for ANY raingear)

Warren

Lil-Rokslider
For what it's worth....(I've never owned FL and never bought anything based on political viewpoints. There's better ways to impact these topics)

I've used a lot of Sitka pieces over the years, particularly their whitetail line ever since Elevated I came out-the green/gray/silver-ish stuff. Last year I purchased (3pants-Ascent/Timberline/Apex, 4jackets-Kelvin active/Kelvin hoody/Kelvin Down WS/Jetstream and JS vest, All weights of baselayers, bino harness (nice piece) and Stormfront top/bottom) the SubAlpine line for multiple CO trips-a TX trip-and hunting here in SC/GA. I really like the Subalpine pattern and feel that it creates less "disruption" then the Elevated II colors and found myself using Subalpine pieces more and more. My Stratus and Fanatic stuff (the Kelvin WS is warmer than the Fanatic just loud-same with my Stormfront pants) sat in the closet this whitetail season. I'm always in-between sizing with Sitka or it fits in the shoulders but not the waist. I can still get it comfy but I may wear M in some stuff, MT in others. 32 in some pants 33 in others. Their gaitors didn't work well for me either-Outdoor Research has been great.

I also have a lot of KUIU (Tibs, Attacks, Peloton 200/97/240 jacket, Kenai, Merino, bino harness, zip off bottoms in various weights (love these), sold the guide jacket-never wore it due it not being windproof and sold the SD puffy-kept the SD pro pants). I'm 6' 175 crossfitter and love the fit of KUIU. I've never run into durability issues with KUIU either.

What I found is that these purchases become kinda like a habit or addiction. I end up wanting all these different pieces and various camos to give me some kind of edge or keep me comfy or just to match my hunting partners. All that is fine and to each their own. "Clothing gear" is part of the fun for some, others care more about getting out there and actually hunting.

Even after blooding up both brands on various hunts I still think there is better options out there. It may not be hunting specific but "camo" is often times the only real differentiator these great companies offer. I have Arcteryx pieces that blow both companies away in both weight, warmth, and performance (Thormiam AR puffy, Atom LT hoody/jacket, Cerium Lt vest, Kynite fleece, Beta SV shell, LEAF Alpha LT pants, Macai Jacket (ski jacket but I wore it whitetail hunting last year-bow in hand-worked like a champ). None of this stuff is camo but it's all gray brown or black and nothing has seemed to care yet..lol. It's all wind and movement when your close. I promise they don't care about your outfit.

ALL this to say...just pick whatever you like and get out there and hunt! Don't let the camo pattern or the extra couple ounces or the "fanboy-I only wear THIS brand" mindset slow you down. Get out and put meat on the ground-see the country through a set of great glass - listen to the silence of the woods at 3pm nap time - eat a meal by a fire - miss a shot cause your heart was beating out of your chest - and cry after finally connecting on that super long, super brutal, super cold/hot, super boring/not seeing anything hunt.

Cheers!

Kifaru just put out a pair of puffy pants that are now the most durable puffy pant on the market. Padded butt cheeks and knees.

Austink47

WKR
I love my kuiu puffy pants. All of the Sitka gear I have ever used has been great, I would lean that way for rain gear, just because I trust gortex. I also have to agree that arcteryex is next level.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Kifaru just put out a pair of puffy pants that are now the most durable puffy pant on the market. Padded butt cheeks and knees.
You ever seen the Rab Photon puffy pants? Exactly what Kifaru came out with, but not Soul Train gold.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk