Kuiu vs Sitka

Jimbob

WKR
Do you need camo? if yes then look at Sitka Kuiu FL. If no then there are many options out there.

For a puffy I am using a montbell down ul parka. Rain shell: westcomb event. Rain pants: Sitka dewpoint. I have some other sitka and KUIU pieces as well. I could care less about name brand, I want a good price and I want it to perform. I don't find a puffy and rain gear to be as important for camo.

I purchased a used pair of sitka rain pants and used them for two years, They ripped in two places but my fault so I repaired. Then all of a sudden the seam tape cracked and started peeling off. I called sitka and they said send them to us and we will send you a brand new pair of our latest rain pants. Great customer service and I had the dewpoints a couple weeks later. I have been happy with them.

Sitka is pricey though and even with the great CS I can't afford that stuff brand new.

R_burg

WKR
I like a loose fit in clothing. What did you like about the Arc'teryx rain gear over the others?

In general Arcteryx does not fit loose, although they do have different cuts which are outlined on their website.

I use Arcteryx for my rain gear. I have compared it to Sitkas stuff and IMO, it was superior, but I have not owned both. I have a lot of Kuiu stuff as well because it fits me great, they use high end materials, and they provide that at a great price point... but my Theta SV has been outstanding for ~8 yrs and do not plan on replacing it until I have to. Like Tex I use it for multiple things... Skiing, Hiking, everyday wear and of course hunting.

I also have other Arcteryx gear. Of note is the Cerium LT down and a Atom LT synthetic. I prefer them both to the puffys being manufactured by the hunting oriented companies.

Like the above poster pointed out, I dont find camo to be important for these pieces. Just to be on the safe side, all my stuff are colors that deer dont see anyway (they only see the shorter wavelength end of the color spectrum).

Tex68w

WKR
I have a Arc'Teryx Beta LT Hybrid in Wolf Grey for light use, everyday stuff, it packs nicely. I also have a Arc'Teryx Alpha Jacket from their LEAF (Law Enforcement and Armed Forces) line. It is considerably more durable but it is also a lot heavier however, I do like the fit and the stowable hood. Like R_Burg said, this stuff is a buy once and cry once purchase, it will outlast everything else out there when it comes to lightweight alpine gear. Go to your local REI and try some on, compare them to Mammut, Marmont, Patagonia, NorthFace, Spyder, Columbia, etc. The difference will be easily noticeable and the cost more justifiable. Now if you want top of the line heavy weather gear then look no further than Helly Hansen, but expect the price to take a step up even from the Arc'Teryx gear.

lkwoolsey

WKR
I use the Kuiu Yukon line for rain gear. Its stretchy, lightish, but very durable. My wife has the Kuiu Chugach line. Its a nice blend of durability and packability. They both breathe better than any rain gear I've ever used (way better than Goretex, IMO. And I have used ALOT of rain gear, as I used to test it for various companies when I used to guide mountaineering trips.) Kuiu is quality gear (as far as their clothes. I don't like their packs, when compared to Kifaru, but thats a whole different discussion.)

LJ Buck

WKR
As for a packable rain gear you can't beat the Sitka dew point set. Jacket breathes the best because of pocket and zipper configuration. For puffy jacket depends on type of hunt. The best puffy i have used is the Kifaru Lost Parka. If you want a down jacket then shop the at mountain Hardwear or Like companies. For a puffy that breathes decent then look at Sitka kelvin light. I am a true believer of supporting a company that supports the same things I believe in and has world class customer service. That would exclude Kuiu. I have owned everything Kuiu has made at some point and truly think besides the attack pants either Sitka or FL beats them out. I did just get my hands on the Kryptek Altitude set up and will say it is impressive. The rain pants seem to be the quietest out of all of them.

lkwoolsey

WKR
As for a packable rain gear you can't beat the Sitka dew point set. Jacket breathes the best because of pocket and zipper configuration. For puffy jacket depends on type of hunt. The best puffy i have used is the Kifaru Lost Parka. If you want a down jacket then shop the at mountain Hardwear or Like companies. For a puffy that breathes decent then look at Sitka kelvin light. I am a true believer of supporting a company that supports the same things I believe in and has world class customer service. That would exclude Kuiu. I have owned everything Kuiu has made at some point and truly think besides the attack pants either Sitka or FL beats them out. I did just get my hands on the Kryptek Altitude set up and will say it is impressive. The rain pants seem to be the quietest out of all of them.

Just a heads up, MH definitly does not support hunting in any way...

Stid2677

WKR
I been using Sitka and Kuiu gear for 12 years or so. I prefer the single layer rain gear better for mountain hunting as it dries faster, is lighter, and packs better. My go to rain gear for sheep hunting is Kuiu Chugach, I still use the first set I bought when the company first released products for sale. Kuiu has a more athletic fit, and Sitka a more roomy fit. For my body size and type Kuiu has been a better fit. I can honestly say that all the products I have bought from both companies have held up and served me well. When ounces count, Kuiu most times has the lighter product.

lkwoolsey

WKR
Which is strange because they are owned by Columbia, and Columbia at least offers some hunting clothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, odd. Columbia focuses more on "outdoor" clothing and less on hunting specific. But to me, gear is gear. I'm not interested in the politics. I use Patagonia, FL, Kuiu, MH, OR, Kifaru, and whatever other gear fits my need. Sorry man, didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

LJ Buck

WKR
Sorry. Let me clarify for all you people who fact check online forum posts. Look at mounteering clothing brands just using Mountain Hardware as an example.

boom

WKR
Kuiu Chugach is more than adequate for hunting out west.
this is good gear. i have the jacket. i do wish it rolled up smaller, but given the durable material i guess we sacrifice some bulk savings.

now that i got that out of the way..

when did a KUIU subsidiary start fracking? i dont know how to google how Kuiu is not land friendly.

I have used both companies and like Kuiu. The clothes just seem to fit me better. The Kuiu rain gear is very nice and will save you a few on price. I think it's on sale right now for 15% off. However, nothing wrong with Sitka and there a few ways of o get get it a little cheaper than buying at Cabelas or such. I also like the pit zips on the Kuiu.
For a puffy, I really like the kelvin.

Poser

WKR
Better not choose the wrong brand. If team Kuiu and team Sitka cross paths in the mountains, there will surely be a rumble

boom

WKR
Better not choose the wrong brand. If team Kuiu and team Sitka cross paths in the mountains, there will surely be a rumble

hahah..i'm a walking yard sale. my lead-off "outfit" is: attack pants, first lite shirts, and a sitka jacket.. my body is having a personal rumble. none of my krap matches.

R_burg

WKR
when did a KUIU subsidiary start fracking? i dont know how to google how Kuiu is not land friendly.

I think this has to do with the SFW thing.

They don't sponsor the Expo and most major manufacturers exhibit there (including Sitka) so I don't really get it, but maybe its something else.

Poser

WKR
hahah..i'm a walking yard sale. my lead-off "outfit" is: attack pants, first lite shirts, and a sitka jacket.. my body is having a personal rumble. none of my krap matches.

No one ever told you that race mixing is a sin?

Wingert

FNG
Here's the link to what I believe someone had asked regarding the review on packable rain gear. This only covered the rain jacket but should provide some useful information.

Let it Rain! Light-Weight Rain Jacket Shootout

I have the Yukon set from Kuiu and it has served me well. I also have the First Lite Stormfront jacket and it's more packable.

For puffy, the Kuiu jacket fit me better in a layering system. I use the Denali puffy pants so I can't comment on either Kuiu or Sitka for pants.

lkwoolsey

WKR
Sorry. Let me clarify for all you people who fact check online forum posts. Look at mounteering clothing brands just using Mountain Hardware as an example.
I've worked for MH before, my point was that every company out there is going to have something different in their philosophy than your own world view. If your after quality gear, just get the price that fits your needs. Politics has even found it's way into hunting these days. Virtually any mountaineering equipment company is not going to support hunting. So you're going to end up buying something from a company somewhere who doesn't support your views.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk