Kuiu vs Sitka

GKPrice

Banned
I think this has to do with the SFW thing.

They don't sponsor the Expo and most major manufacturers exhibit there (including Sitka) so I don't really get it, but maybe its something else.

Don't think THAT is the issue - Hairston hangs with, close friends with the guy who started "big game forever. org" - do quick study and find out what HE is driving at the federal level - not good for us "blue collar folks" - OK, ENOUGH politics for ONE day FGS !

aaron600rr

Lil-Rokslider
If you wana pay more $$ go with Sitka if you want a better deal go with KUIU.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

GKPrice

Banned
If you wana pay more $$ go with Sitka if you want a better deal go with KUIU.

If that were actually true KUIU's market share would be a heck of a lot larger than it currently is - Kuiu makes "some" good stuff but to say that it's the ONLY company worth dealing with stretches "it" pretty good I think

GKPrice

Banned
Do you need camo? if yes then look at Sitka Kuiu FL. If no then there are many options out there.

For a puffy I am using a montbell down ul parka. Rain shell: westcomb event. Rain pants: Sitka dewpoint. I have some other sitka and KUIU pieces as well. I could care less about name brand, I want a good price and I want it to perform. I don't find a puffy and rain gear to be as important for camo.

I purchased a used pair of sitka rain pants and used them for two years, They ripped in two places but my fault so I repaired. Then all of a sudden the seam tape cracked and started peeling off. I called sitka and they said send them to us and we will send you a brand new pair of our latest rain pants. Great customer service and I had the dewpoints a couple weeks later. I have been happy with them.

Sitka is pricey though and even with the great CS I can't afford that stuff brand new.

IF you buy it in December you'll be happier

R_burg

WKR
Don't think THAT is the issue - Hairston hangs with, close friends with the guy who started "big game forever. org" - do quick study and find out what HE is driving at the federal level - not good for us "blue collar folks" - OK, ENOUGH politics for ONE day FGS !
Thats another Don Peay group, just like BGF.

From what I read, he/his company works with them in a marketing capacity... As in they market their products at the Expo. So does Sitka.

If you have more information about Kuiu's involvement with them I am definitely interested in reading it so I can learn more.

aaron600rr

Lil-Rokslider
If that were actually true KUIU's market share would be a heck of a lot larger than it currently is - Kuiu makes "some" good stuff but to say that it's the ONLY company worth dealing with stretches "it" pretty good I think
I never stated it's the "only company worth dealing with".

GKPrice

Banned
Which of the items that I listed did you have better luck with in the field?

I like KUIU OTC socks almost as well as Darn Tough's - I like Sitka wool boxers - I like Kuiu Chinook pants and Sitka Timberline pants pretty much equally, have both and sometimes it's just a matter of which pair stinks of blood n guts least - I like FL Chama Hoody the very best of the mid weight tops - I have a Kuiu Kenai hooded, a Sitka cold weather hoody and a FL Uncomphre puffy and vest and I seem to wear them pretty equally dependant on conditions - Kuiu has given me FITS in fit (and none are consistent) - I wear a Helly Hanson rain coat that has NEVER let me down (and I live in the PNW) - I prefer LOWA boots, wear Tibets, GTX's, Rangers & Renegades endlessly it seems - the B E S T deals I find are on ebay, Rokslide, Sierra Design and Amazon - I've bought off KUIU's website a couple of times, not particularly impressed - Sitka has some killer sales pretty often and their CS is on par with Leupold's IMO

aaron600rr

Lil-Rokslider
sort of implied, don't ya think ?
Lol what? The posts question was between the company's Sitka and Kuiu. Kuius gear is cheaper than Sitkas in general. If someone asks a question between 2 companies, I don't make it a habbit and answer questions that weren't asked.

Thats another Don Peay group, just like BGF.

From what I read, he/his company works with them in a marketing capacity... As in they market their products at the Expo. So does Sitka.

If you have more information about Kuiu's involvement with them I am definitely interested in reading it so I can learn more.

Do some searching on the forum. No need to derail this thread even more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R_burg

WKR
Do some searching on the forum. No need to derail this thread even more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I didn't derail the thread, others do with their cryptic posts which cause people like me ask questions.

I actually googled this last week and read up on it and thats what I found. Please feel free to point me in the right direction if I am misinformed. If you don't want to post in the thread than PM me.

Thank you.

OP
N

N2TRKYS

WKR
Lol what? The posts question was between the company's Sitka and Kuiu. Kuius gear is cheaper than Sitkas in general. If someone asks a question between 2 companies, I don't make it a habbit and answer questions that weren't asked.

That's how I took your post aaron600rr.

Thank you.

OP
N

N2TRKYS

WKR
For the ones that have provided input on the items that I asked about.... I sincerely thank you.

bcv

Lil-Rokslider
I've had the Yukon gear for 3 years and it's not failed me. It keeps you dry. The pants have been covered in blood and mud and they always clean up.

To OP I've used kuiu, Sitka, MH, and a host of other mountain brands.

Technology is technology. At the end of the day, I end up shredding and ruining my rain gear so price point matters, with that said you can't go wrong with kuiu, FL, Sitka they all make great products it really comes down to what features you want or can't live with out.

Last edited:

GKPrice

Banned
Apparently you have never hunted with the Tim Boyles. Columbia and its brands support hunting.

I agree !!! just because a company doesn't make Sitka, Kuiu, FL lookalikes doesn't mean crap - If Boyles isn't traveling he's probably hunting waterfowl or fishing ..... you'll NEVER hear him badmouth hunting of any kind

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use Sitka Dewpoint top and bottoms for rain gear. They've discontinued them so they're on really good sales across the web.

For my insulation layer a Mountain Hardware Compressor for my jacket and Sitka Kelvin Pants.

Pit zips are a must for me on rain gear which the Dewpoint has. I wish the Mtn Hrdwr Comp had pit zips as well.

Full leg zips on layer pants are a must for me so I don't have to pull my boots off to put them on, which the Dewpoint and Kelvin pants have.

I'm not crazy about all the pockets on the Dewpoint pants but they don't really bother me, I just don't find them necessary.

So far all of the aforementioned items have been very durable, dry quickly if I get them wet, and keep me warm & dry if I do my part.

The Chugach rain gear is good stuff too. I have a lot of buddies that run it and love it for it's weight, waterproofness, and breathability. I don't think you can go wrong with either brand for solid gear.

I'm a little leery of new items that get rolled out before being fully vetted but Sitka and Kuiu make some solid gear that has stood to the test. What's your budget and what fits best? Order both if you can, return the less appealing. That is exactly what I did and I sent the Chugach gear back. That was before I knew Rokslide existed so the politics here had nothing to do with it.