Kawasaki is out - Looking at Yamaha Side by Side

WRO

WKR
It was hot, dust was unbearable, seats uncomfortable after any extended period, the rear seats are useless and dust out everything, oil change procedure is crappy, no decent cab enclosures, huge gaps around doors to allow dust, dust blows through dash and up behind seat, factory suspension is terrible, HOT HOT HOT. That’s basically what I recall after a few thousand hours.
The good, it’s a Honda, runs great and it is an absolute mountain goat. Very capable and stable compared to my Can Am, but the bad far overshadows the good.

They came out with a new hard cab for them, I’m back and forth between one of those and a defender 1000.

The 2017 we hunt out of is plenty comfortable for what we use it for, but there’s not many fun rides involved, just transportation and only the kids sit in the back seat so no comment on comfort there.

BigE

Lil-Rokslider
One of the guys in our group has the Wolverine 1000 which works great for Arizona elk, quail, or hunting anything. It also works great for trail riding etc. Goes everywhere with the sportier RZRs, Talons, Can Am, etc.
The rear seat is much tighter comparatively for bigger guys and gear, but the bed is big enough for an elk. I would guess in our extended group we have had at least one example of about everything the UTV market has to offer.

I'd suggest any of the main manufacturers that make UTV's these days are making relatively good products. Find the one that ticks your boxes the most and go with it.

OP
270quest

270quest

WKR
Going down this afternoon to do paperwork...after much back and forth and more internet research/videos than I car to look at again, we are going to go with the RMAC X4 1000.

I will post pictures when I get it home this afternoon.

11boo

WKR
Going down this afternoon to do paperwork...after much back and forth and more internet research/videos than I car to look at again, we are going to go with the RMAC X4 1000.

I will post pictures when I get it home this afternoon.
Good choice.

IMG_6648.jpeg

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
I had the Yamaha RMAX 1000 and it was a beast. Fun to ride for sure and a great suspension with plenty of power.

My main wish is that these were quieter. I love how fast they cover rough terrain, but my Jeep is much quieter.

OP
270quest

270quest

WKR
Its a big machine - that's for sure. I actually feel like I step up into like a truck vs crouching down to get into it. Also surprised how much room there actually is in the two back seats. Lots and Lots of power - little loud but is what it is. Need to get a foldable front windshield and a winch and call it good to go for this fall.

tdhanses

WKR
I have a Honda 1000-5, sitting on 30’s and with many mods it’s a goat will go anywhere, its biggest set back is how tall it is and center of gravity.

Any utv will get hot inside it, your sitting on a motor with plastic between you and it. If I was in the market again I’d probably get the Yamaha or Can—Am. Honda has been great but is more utility when sport would be fun.

IMG_8652.jpeg
IMG_8712.jpeg

Last edited:

KenLee

WKR
Its a big machine - that's for sure. I actually feel like I step up into like a truck vs crouching down to get into it. Also surprised how much room there actually is in the two back seats. Lots and Lots of power - little loud but is what it is. Need to get a foldable front windshield and a winch and call it good to go for this fall.

Needs some camo spray bombs 😉

WRO

WKR
I was speaking to the guy at my sporting clays course Friday, I’m in the market for a sxs and he has a Polaris, Honda, and can am. Can am only has 3k miles on it, so far so good. Honda had 9k on it with no issues. He said out of the 3, the only one he would never purchase again was the Polaris.

WRO

WKR
I’m not saying they break, but padded plywood vs the comfy X4’s are a consideration for me, so much so that’s the only reason I chose the X4 over the Honda. You can ride 4 men in comfort for 12 hours on rough roads in the Yammy.

I’ll say that the seats in my Polaris are similar to the Honda and suck after a few hours.

Why would you ever need to be in a buggy for 12 hours?

tdhanses

WKR
I was speaking to the guy at my sporting clays course Friday, I’m in the market for a sxs and he has a Polaris, Honda, and can am. Can am only has 3k miles on it, so far so good. Honda had 9k on it with no issues. He said out of the 3, the only one he would never purchase again was the Polaris.
I’ve see a few 100k Honda’s on the hondasxs forum, many with 30k.

Why would you ever need to be in a buggy for 12 hours?

Obviously not continuously, but in my state it’s not unheard of to cover 100 miles of rough roads in a unit while scouting. 30+ min sprints to glassing locations from Sun up to Sun down.

That’s doable without too much discomfort in an X4. Not sure I’d want to try that in a pioneer.

tdhanses

WKR
It’s point A to point B then hike or glass, beyond 30 minutes I want to be in my truck with a radio, heat/ac, and no dust.
They are pretty fun to tour Jeep trails etc, not hard to put 150+ miles on in a day.

OP
270quest

270quest

WKR
Got some accessories ordered to get bolted on before Hunting season. Have a SuperATV 4500 ready fit winch coming, along with a EMP Glass front windshield with manual wiper and vents. 32" LED Lightbar, and the Drive mode toggle switch so I can switch between, sport trail and crawl modes. Also have sideview mirrors on the way.

That will do it for this year, next year I want to add a stereo system and cab heater.