Kawasaki is out - Looking at Yamaha Side by Side

270quest

WKR
I felt I was set on purchasing a Kawasaki Teryx 4 side by side, but after driving one that a friend owns and seeing first hand the cab heat, noise, and some concerns with clearance, I decided not go to forward with the purchase and keep looking. I am now pretty locked in on the Yamaha Wolverine X4 850 XTR. Similar in setup to the kawasaki, but the one I test drove was quieter and I didn't feel near the cab heat. The XTR models come with the warn winch and fox shocks.

Anyone out there run one of these machines and has anything good or bad to say? Right now I can get a 3k Yamaha rebate off the price any my local CU will give me a rate thats pretty damn good based on what current rates are.

Really my main unkown is the 850CC - Is that enough motor to transport say 4 adults and gear or say a deer strapped on? They offer a 1000c model, but it would cause me to jump up in price way more than I am willing to pay.

idahodave

WKR
Since you’re in Idaho, I’d recommend neither.

A barely used jeep can be had for the same and gives you the exact same legal access to trails, with the added benefit of being able to drive down the interstate. Any UTV over 50” in Idaho is severely limiting with the USFS 50” standard by my way of thinking.

Any particular reason you’re after such a large UTV as opposed to a small truck or Jeep?

manitou1

WKR
We have the four seater (x4 XTR)
Plenty for four people and they are like mountain goats.

Research their dependability and longevity. That is what sold us on one. We get 55 mph with ours with two adults, a spare, a jack and a tool box. Plenty fast enough, but most of our use is on rough two-tracks at 20mph or less.
Ten year CVT belt warranty too... the best belt warranty in the business.

vladkgb

FNG
I have the x4 xtr and love it, it's the best SxS for the money. I use it on the ranch for hauling and towing as well, the back seats slide up providing a nice bed for gear and dead animals. It even fits in a my f250's truck bed, but make sure you get tailgate supports. And it fits easily in my toy hauler trailer with the happijac bed above and couches folded against the wall.

I considered a Honda pioneer but the extra width and height meant it wouldn't fit in my toy hauler as well or the truck bed. They were also much more expensive than the wolverine x4, and back seats were really uncomfortable.

I can't speak on the model you are looking at, but i have a CanAm Defender XT HD10 4-seater and that thing has been an absolute beast for farm work, trails, and guiding duck hunts.

OP
270quest

270quest

WKR
Other than some more engine and power, is there any other worth while reasons to consider spending the extra money to move up to the RMAC 1000 version? It appears to give a bigger tire, touch more clearance, and the bigger engine, but just not sure thats worth the extra 3k at the dealer for that model?

11boo

WKR
Other than some more engine and power, is there any other worth while reasons to consider spending the extra money to move up to the RMAC 1000 version? It appears to give a bigger tire, touch more clearance, and the bigger engine, but just not sure thats worth the extra 3k at the dealer for that model?
I don’t know, I do know my 850 can pull all this up some steep stuff.

IMG_7166.jpeg

sf jakey

WKR
Pioneer is a great concept poorly executed. Had one and it was amazing and awful at the same time. Have a can am defender now.

Best, most comfortable SXS in that class. Get a ‘21 and later as those have better aftermarket support for cab doors, etc. plenty of power and relatively quiet. You can run a square 28” tire setup with wheel spacers in back.

Loved my ‘20 but I wanted a hard cab with heater so I bought a northstar. Not nearly as fun in rough stuff. X4 was the Goldilocks though.

They aren’t that bad, I have at least 1000 problem free miles in one.

I’m not saying they break, but padded plywood vs the comfy X4’s are a consideration for me, so much so that’s the only reason I chose the X4 over the Honda. You can ride 4 men in comfort for 12 hours on rough roads in the Yammy.

I’ll say that the seats in my Polaris are similar to the Honda and suck after a few hours.

sf jakey

WKR
What was awful about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It was hot, dust was unbearable, seats uncomfortable after any extended period, the rear seats are useless and dust out everything, oil change procedure is crappy, no decent cab enclosures, huge gaps around doors to allow dust, dust blows through dash and up behind seat, factory suspension is terrible, HOT HOT HOT. That’s basically what I recall after a few thousand hours.
The good, it’s a Honda, runs great and it is an absolute mountain goat. Very capable and stable compared to my Can Am, but the bad far overshadows the good.