Kansas next state to ban game cameras on Public Land

The farm is private. I am always trying to target bucks 4 years and older. I've had tag soup the last 2 seasons. Cameras or not, I would hold out for mature deer. I pass tons of younger bucks each season. I run cameras in different areas of the farm but I don't move my stands as they're in solid locations based on field locations and wind directions.

The farm is private. I am always trying to target bucks 4 years and older. I've had tag soup the last 2 seasons. Cameras or not, I would hold out for mature deer. I pass tons of younger bucks each season. I run cameras in different areas of the farm but I don't move my stands as they're in solid locations based on field locations and wind directions.

Private land hunting is not even close to public land hunting in Kansas. Which is what the thread was originally about. Apples to oranges

Overdrive

WKR
No, my ways are not more important than others. I have my opinion and take the opportunity to share it with others. I do this in the hope that I can bring more people to see things and advocate for change. The same way it’s been done for years, decades, even centuries.

Yea, I would like to see states regulate cameras.

I didn’t bring up punt guns as a way to take this off topic. I used it to substantiate a point that things that were once legal, thus by your definition fair chase, are no longer legal. This change was brought upon by people advocating for change and not just saying “well it’s legal…so.”
Well I'll say one thing we think in different ways of what to advocate for. I will never push and support more regulations to limit people. As long as people do legal activities I'll support them and enjoy it right along side them.

CorbLand

WKR
You have that thing I have talked about that is in some people. People either pass an animal because they have a “standard” or they don’t. It’s not the camera.

CorbLand

WKR
Well I'll say one thing we think in different ways of what to advocate for. I will never push and support more regulations to limit people. As long as people do legal activities I'll support them and enjoy it right along side them.
I am thankful people stood up and didn’t just say “well it’s legal.” Without them, we wouldn’t have animals to hunt.

We damn near killed every big game species to extinction. People saw that, and said no. A large part of the reason humans were able to decimate animal populations is because technology evolved and made it possible.

If we are unable to keep that in check and change as needed, we will do it again. I don’t think we will ever do it to the level that we once did but we will push it to the point that getting tags and opportunities to hunt are extremely extremely limited.

Overdrive

WKR
High fence Is legal in most states. . . Are you saying that high fence hunting is fair chase???
So how does High fence have anything to do with Kansas public land game cameras?

If people want to hunt high fence, good for them it's not for me I couldn't afford it. Sure I'll say it's fair chase to get peoples reactions LOL. I support all types of hunting so people stay engaged with it, understand it and hopefully stay in support of it.

CorbLand

WKR
@khart_6882

its pathetic, isn’t it!? All those pages, all the snark, all the sarcasm, and no one has changed their minds… it reminds me of the townspeople of South Park.
My opinion has been shaped and changed by many discussions that have been had here. I think they are useful.

keller

WKR
Havnt read all through this but know guys who hunt bear with dogs.sit on the road waiting for a hit from their cell phone linked cameras. Got a bear at this bait now. Rush to it and drop their dog's

Overdrive

WKR
I am thankful people stood up and didn’t just say “well it’s legal.” Without them, we wouldn’t have animals to hunt.

We damn near killed every big game species to extinction. People saw that, and said no. A large part of the reason humans were able to decimate animal populations is because technology evolved and made it possible.

If we are unable to keep that in check and change as needed, we will do it again. I don’t think we will ever do it to the level that we once did but we will push it to the point that getting tags and opportunities to hunt are extremely extremely limited.
You're talking of things that happened long before any of us on this Site were alive, of course conservation came along and was a good thing, thus making Laws for legal activities pertaining to hunting. A little game camera on public land isn't going to wipe out the game population. The regulated hunting we have isn't going to wipe out the game population. Disease and habitat loss will do far more damage.

So since it's legal to use game cameras, long range rifles, crossbows, compound bows, inline muzzleloaders, onx, gps, etc..... me and majority will continue to do so. So I'll fight the good fight for legal activities for hunting and sportsmen.

So how does High fence have anything to do with Kansas public land game cameras?

If people want to hunt high fence, good for them it's not for me I couldn't afford it. Sure I'll say it's fair chase to get peoples reactions LOL. I support all types of hunting so people stay engaged with it, understand it and hopefully stay in support of it.
Has absolutely nothing to do with trail cameras. . . Just like baiting has nothing to do with cameras.

You made the ridiculous comment that if it's legal, it's fair chase. So I merely wanted to know if you believe that high fence hunting (which is unequivocally not fair chase) was fair chase.

Because IMHO if your going to say high fence is fair chase, then I can understand you're just here to argue and don't really need to base things in reality.

If you have a rational sense of fair chase I'd potentially be more curious about you explaining how you thing baiting and/or trail cameras that can scout at night when a person cannot are fair chase. Could be a good discussion.

Overdrive

WKR
If you have a rational sense of fair chase I'd potentially be more curious about you explaining how you thing baiting and/or trail cameras that can scout at night when a person cannot are fair chase. Could be a good discussion.
Is that camera shooting the animal for you or do you have to still go out and hunt and find that animal you wish to harvest? Seems to me like you still have to go out and hunt, just because you have a BOAL on camera doesn't mean you will be successful in getting it. No different than seeing a BOAL in your spotting scope, just because you see it doesn't mean your tag is punched and head on the wall. I've sure had a lot of big Elk on my trail cameras and never taken one of them.

Baiting to me is more people using the bait station as a way to be selective on an animal. I remember when voters passed the spring Bear baiting/dogs amendment in Colorado (years ago) the people opposed used the "it's not fair chase" "it's not hunting" bs. They wouldn't listen to any reason, baiting bears is actually a very good way to be selective on your harvest and also prevent the kill of sows with cubs (another one of the anti's sob stories) If I'm sitting over a bait lets say bear bait, when that bear comes in I have time to study the bear for age and sex and give plenty of time to confirm that there are no cubs present (they won't be far from momma in the spring)

I really don't follow high fence laws in states, the only state I can think of that has a lot of high fence hunts is Texas. A lot of them have exotics and are required to be high fenced for disease prevention. So if someone wants to hunt there instead of travelling to Africa, I'm not one to tell them how to spend their money. There maybe high fence deer and elk somewhere too, but like I said I don't know.

Hope that answers your question.

*zap*

WKR
I wonder if cameras are/will be legal on the corps ground? That is not considered public which is subject to Kansas public land laws...managed by the corps and managed by the state is different. Most public land here is around reservoirs and owned by the feds....but the majority of that is managed by the state. Some of it is managed by the corps thou. Corps managed ground is considered to be subject to the state private ground regs......I pretty much hunt public, probably 95%. Quit using cams years ago and only used bait for my first two seasons.....after that I quit cold turkey and became 'real'...now I do not run cams or bait.... :love:

Getting back on tract of original post.
I use game cameras and enjoy watching the deer grow and mature. I like the game cameras for watching the antlers go into velvet and grow into bone.
Game cameras are another hobby I have in watching what I do for the deer herd by feeding and field plots throughout the year. ITS POSITIVE FEEDBACK!!
Public ground is tough to hunt on and I agree 5 cameras on same tree is too much, however, if there is a camera move on; someone else has staked claim!!
Respect the game and respect the fellow hunter!!!

Will_m

WKR
Getting back on tract of original post.
I use game cameras and enjoy watching the deer grow and mature. I like the game cameras for watching the antlers go into velvet and grow into bone.
Game cameras are another hobby I have in watching what I do for the deer herd by feeding and field plots throughout the year. ITS POSITIVE FEEDBACK!!
Public ground is tough to hunt on and I agree 5 cameras on same tree is too much, however, if there is a camera move on; someone else has staked claim!!
Respect the game and respect the fellow hunter!!!
This is why they are getting banned. Nothing to do with fair chase. Some people think the camera claims the spot, some people steal cameras, some people complain about the cameras. In the end, they just create too many problems.

Also, my god at the statement of “I support doing whatever the law allows and am against any further regulation.”

Some real gems in this one. I think this calls for memeage.