Kansas next state to ban game cameras on Public Land

Luckily I hunt private land in Kansas, but this looks like a year round ban on all public land/ public access land for game cameras. Knowing Kansas Game Wardens I am sure it will be strictly enforced as well.

I think we will start to see more of this especially in the west.

cmahoney

WKR
What's the big deal with a game camera?

2a0ba89d3a438521ce3b11944cab393f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have some personal reasons why (basically, shooting a deer with it's head buried in a corn pile isn't hunting), but from a management perspective they tend to provide easy vectors for spreading disease among deer herds.
I see. I could be wrong, but I don’t see baiting being revoked.
I think the disease spread is highly blown out of proportion. If guys have the resources, if they can’t bait they just put in food plots which is doing the same thing concentrating deer in a certain area to eat. Whether it’s standing Milo or pile of corn same damn thing.

I think the disease spread is highly blown out of proportion. If guys have the resources, if they can’t bait they just put in food plots which is doing the same thing concentrating deer in a certain area to eat. Whether it’s standing Milo or pile of corn same damn thing.

Deer touching noses eating on a corn pile is different than a 10 acre food plot.

WCB

WKR
I have some personal reasons why (basically, shooting a deer with it's head buried in a corn pile isn't hunting), but from a management perspective they tend to provide easy vectors for spreading disease among deer herds.
How about a cattle tank...or a food plot. Also, watch animals in the wild. Corn pile or licking branch, community scrape, mineral site (natural or not), or large wintering grounds. Those animals are trading saliva and everythings else naturally anyways.

Deer touching noses eating on a corn pile is different than a 10 acre food plot.
I hate to tell you this, but they do a hell of a lot more then touch noses. They have this thing they call the “rut” it’s worth looking into what happens during that time. And leading up with all the scrapes, rubs, licking branches. Between the deer saliva, urine, and other things, alot of fluids exchanged. It’s pretty wild really.
I guess that’s why Wyoming and Colorado don’t have any diseases such as CWD or blue tongue or anything like that going on ever.

Last edited:
Also requires a much larger effort - meaning to hold the deer on their property takes more effort than riding out on a SxS and dumping a bed of corn

Since I moved to KS a few years ago, legal baiting has always been a head scratcher for me

Rich M

WKR
2a0ba89d3a438521ce3b11944cab393f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow - around here those would be stolen.

It doesn't hurt anything. You can either have the cameras out there or the guys will be out there more scouting.

I use 2 trail cams to check areas for deer activity. Granted the areas I hunt have 40 or 50 yd visibility max.

Lytro

WKR
Step outside Kansas and there have been many states that revoked the use of baiting over the past 20 years. The reasoning of disease gets thrown around a lot, but I think fair chase is the real reason it gets advocated. A deer in a food plot typically doesn't guarantee a shot, but a bait pile or feeder under your stand is a different story. Baiting would be a huge advantage in western states where there isn't an abundance of ag fields.