Kansas next state to ban game cameras on Public Land

Sounds like there is plenty of opportunity then even with those nasty trail cameras on the landscape

I think its great if guys prefer to shoot the 1st animal but just understand they can do that because another group of guys prefer to pass and in my opinion it's easier to pass when cameras are used

Guys who run a handful of cameras generally arnt super committed to being very selective, which is great, but i really don't think people care about that particular group...I believe the distaste is towards the guys running 50 pluss cameras and those guys typically are being very selective. Running that many cameras is a ton of work and if you haven't done it I guess it would be easy to cast stones

I get tired of the constant finger pointing that some how the hunting community has adopted, we will shoot ourselves in the foot over the misguided thought of making things .0001% better meanwhile other groups are tossing wolves around like candy and in states along the weat coast are losing hunting all together via hidden bills...dont even get me started on the nonresident restrictions poping up like weeds in nearly every state... there is much larger fish to fry regarding opportunity loss
Not on Kansas public land there’s not.😂

I absolutely agree. The infighting is ridiculous. People in Kansas can’t run trail cameras on public land. Now the same people that are complaining about losing trail cameras want to ban feeding deer on private land.

I don’t want to devolve this thread but laws tell us what we can’t do, not what we can....
Wrong. There are different types of laws. What you're referring to is generally criminal law, i.e., it's illegal to kill people. However, F&W laws are generally Prima Facia and tell us what we can do; for example, they tell us legal methods of take (what weapons we can legally use), the season...

Overdrive

WKR
I don’t want to devolve this thread but laws tell us what we can’t do, not what we can. That is a far bigger discussion than this and is not what this thread about.

The Colorado law is saying you can’t use transmitting trail cameras, then defines what a nontransmitting trail camera is.
Which means anyone can use a non transmitting game camera legally!! Which goes all the way back in this thread where I stated "if it's legal, it's fair chase" those are the laws set forth for all to follow.

Best of luck, I will always be an advocate for the legal Hunter to choose for themselves how they want to scout and hunt. I hope more opportunities open up for hunters so more can get out and enjoy the sport, but many want it to get more limited.

CorbLand

WKR
Sounds like there is plenty of opportunity then even with those nasty trail cameras on the landscape

I think its great if guys prefer to shoot the 1st animal but just understand they can do that because another group of guys prefer to pass and in my opinion it's easier to pass when cameras are used

Guys who run a handful of cameras generally arnt super committed to being very selective, which is great, but i really don't think people care about that particular group...I believe the distaste is towards the guys running 50 pluss cameras and those guys typically are being very selective. Running that many cameras is a ton of work and if you haven't done it I guess it would be easy to cast stones

I get tired of the constant finger pointing that some how the hunting community has adopted, we will shoot ourselves in the foot over the misguided thought of making things .0001% better meanwhile other groups are tossing wolves around like candy and in states along the weat coast are losing hunting all together via hidden bills...dont even get me started on the nonresident restrictions poping up like weeds in nearly every state... there is much larger fish to fry regarding opportunity loss
There is opportunities in my state but they are decreasing and decreasing rapidly.

I think you should go read all my posts in this thread. I have covered many of the points you have brought up.

I already addressed the fact that the guy using a couple cameras is not the intended target, they get caught in the crossfire.

I have used cameras for years and put out in the double digits of them. I understand the time it takes to keep track of them. I have never said they are not work. It’s the information they provide and the way it provides it that is the basis of my argument.

Last edited:

CorbLand

WKR
Which means anyone can use a non transmitting game camera legally!! Which goes all the way back in this thread where I stated "if it's legal, it's fair chase" those are the laws set forth for all to follow.

Best of luck, I will always be an advocate for the legal Hunter to choose for themselves how they want to scout and hunt. I hope more opportunities open up for hunters so more can get out and enjoy the sport, but many want it to get more limited.
Where did I ever say it was illegal?

I think you are missing the point that I am making. It is legal, you can use cameras but I advocate for a change to that. To sit back and say it’s legal, therefore you shouldn’t advocate for something to change you think should, is wrong.

It use to be legal to use punt guns for waterfowl. It was written in law that it was legal. Then people said, you know, those are kind ruining things and killing a lot of animals, maybe we should advocate for a change. They did and got it changed. They didn’t just say well it’s legal so…

One of the most unique things about hunting is that a vast majority of the regulations surrounding it have come at the request of hunters.

Last edited:

ODB

WKR
I know of a handful of guys that have a youtube hunting channel. They kill a lot of really nice late season whitetails every year on their show over a literal dump truck load of corn. It's completely legal where they hunt, but it's conveniently left out of all their video footage. Haha

Truth lies on the cutting room floor.

CorbLand

WKR
Wrong. There are different types of laws. What you're referring to is generally criminal law, i.e., it's illegal to kill people. However, F&W laws are generally Prima Facia and tell us what we can do; for example, they tell us legal methods of take (what weapons we can legally use), the season...
I will stand corrected there.

ODB

WKR
The govt isn't telling folks to put up a game camera. It should be up to the person what he or she wants to do.

If you don't want to run trail cams, then don't. The reason some folks are so successful is that they put in the time and effort.

Just cause you don't like something doesn't make it wrong - just means you don't like it.

Society is letting a 12 year old change his or her gender, why can't someone choose whether or not to use game cameras?

That’s just it mate. Society is a ******* idiot.

You have opened a can of Kant’s Categorical Imperative you won’t be able to consume.

I will stand corrected there.
I have owned game cameras for years, but I have never used them. I have given a bunch of game cameras away, here on Rokslide and to people I know. Yet, I'd love to see them banned. Unfortunately, since filming and taking pictures in public is setteled law, I think an all out ban may never happen (for hunting purposes may be defendable though). Perhaps the better route would be to actually enforce the 15 day limit of private property on National Forest lands. I am unaware of such a limit on BLM, but that should be an easy fix.

CorbLand

WKR
I have owned game cameras for years, but I have never used them. I have given a bunch of game cameras away, here on Rokslide and to people I know. Yet, I'd love to see them banned. Unfortunately, since filming and taking pictures in public is setteled law, I think an all out ban may never happen (for hunting purposes may be defendable though). Perhaps the better route would be to actually enforce the 15 day limit of private property on National Forest lands. I am unaware of such a limit on BLM, but that should be an easy fix.
I think Nevada and Utah have done the best. A season makes way more sense to me than an outright ban.

Overdrive

WKR
Where did I ever say it was illegal?

I think you are missing the point that I am making. It is legal, you can use cameras but I advocate for a change to that. To sit back and say it’s legal, therefore you shouldn’t advocate for something to change you think should, is wrong.

It use to be legal to use punt guns for waterfowl. It was written in law that it was legal. Then people said, you know, those are kind ruining things and killing a lot of animals, maybe we should advocate for a change. They did and got it changed. They didn’t just say well it’s legal so…

One of the most unique things about hunting is that a vast majority of the regulations surrounding it have come at the request of hunters.
I understand you just fine you want new laws for game cameras. Your ways are more important than the majority that don't have a problem with using cameras. It's a dangerous place to be when choosing which laws are good for you and not the hunting community as a whole. You'd be hard pressed to find any evidence that game cameras have ruined hunting in any state.

Punt Guns? Really? Thought you were wanting to stay on topic now we're going back decades.

I don’t abide by the “well if it’s legal” argument. Almost everything was legal, like shooting 200 Buffalo a day, until we realized the harm and potential for abuse thus making it illegal.

Trail cams are at that point which is why they are beginning to ban them state by state. They are everywhere in WI and a real nuisance on public.

Another problem occurring is the ones long since abandoned because the lazy owner can’t bear to walk out to retrieve his $30 Walmart special once the batteries die and the season is over. To me, that’s littering which in my book is right up there with poaching.

Time for them to go. People in general are just too lazy, immoral, and disrespectful to manage them on their own. Which i’ll admit is pretty sad but it is what it is in todays society.
Using your logic...

All food, beverages, camping equipment, rope, toilet paper, etc all should be banned as they do get left behind. I'd wager a pretty penny that there are more "Hershey Kisses" out in the woods at any given time than there are trail cameras.

Be better off just prohibiting people from entering the woods since every single person has left something behind at some point in their outdoor lives.

Using your logic...

All food, beverages, camping equipment, rope, toilet paper, etc all should be banned as they do get left behind.

Leaving all of that is littering as is leaving an abandoned trail cam. You carry it in you carry it back out, period. The trash you mention is exactly why dispersed camping is banned in many many places. I imagine the type of person to lazily leave their trash where they camped are the same slobs that leave trail cameras hanging in trees. I’d be all for banning those types from the woods altogether.

That being said, i’m aware of 7 el cheapo trail cams cable locked to trees well over a year. I’m aware of zero camps with abandoned trash.

CorbLand

WKR
I understand you just fine you want new laws for game cameras. Your ways are more important than the majority that don't have a problem with using cameras. It's a dangerous place to be when choosing which laws are good for you and not the hunting community as a whole. You'd be hard pressed to find any evidence that game cameras have ruined hunting in any state.

Punt Guns? Really? Thought you were wanting to stay on topic now we're going back decades.
No, my ways are not more important than others. I have my opinion and take the opportunity to share it with others. I do this in the hope that I can bring more people to see things and advocate for change. The same way it’s been done for years, decades, even centuries.

Yea, I would like to see states regulate cameras.

I didn’t bring up punt guns as a way to take this off topic. I used it to substantiate a point that things that were once legal, thus by your definition fair chase, are no longer legal. This change was brought upon by people advocating for change and not just saying “well it’s legal…so.”

"I don’t know a single person that has legitimately passed an animal because they have another one on camera."
Good evening Corb, my handle is longspeak. Now you know someone. I do this every season. I have a few (3) cameras on the 300 acre farm I hunt. I continually pass up bucks because of others I have on camera.

"I don’t know a single person that has legitimately passed an animal because they have another one on camera."
Good evening Corb, my handle is longspeak. Now you know someone. I do this every season. I have a few (3) cameras on the 300 acre farm I hunt. I continually pass up bucks because of others I have on camera.
Is this farm private land? Or wiha?

CorbLand

WKR
Nice to meet you.

Do you have a level (either size, age or some other metric)at which you are not interested in shooting a buck? If you did not use those cameras would you shoot the first legal buck that walked by?