Jeep Grand Cherokee?

DuckDogDr

WKR
kicking around the idea of getting one as my next ride. My truck has 200k on it and I’m really debating between running it until it really falls apart or trading it in now while has some value and get a better “down payment”. But a little about my situation

I work multiple jobs ..
One requires a 500 mile commute one way.. but I stay there a week to 10 days at a time and usually don’t move the vehicle once I’m there (literally).. bring all food etc with me.

Second job is 180 miles away from home / 80 from my girlfriend’s house

Third job is only 13 miles from my house (work here the most )

I still have my 3/4 ton I hunt and farm out of so this would mainly be a work vehicle and vacation traveller

Other considerations are Toyota fore runner or Hyundai Santa Fe . Want something descent on gas and safety/ crash test is the main consideration however

CorbLand

WKR
You already have a 3/4 ton so do you really need an SUV or could you get away with passenger car?

Sounds like you are putting 3000-4000 (depending on how often you go to all your jobs) miles a month on a vehicle so the better gas milage of a smaller car would pay for itself quickly. Same with maintenance and other wear items.

If you are looking at something decent on gas, I would rule out the 4Runner. They are horrible on gas for what they are.

OP
D

DuckDogDr

WKR
@CorbLand
The only reason for SUV vs passenger car is i genuinely have a hard time getting in and out of vehicles low to the ground after my back surgery and need something ass level or higher.

And I would like to be in something with a little bit bigger frame in the even of a wreck.
But the idea of a hybrid getting 40-50mpg does make me drool and I have strongly considered

Last edited:

CorbLand

WKR
Rav4 or CRV would be other ones I would consider.

My cousin had a Cherokee and it was a good vehicle but he didnt own it long enough to have any major issues. It had the 9 speed transmission in it and it got good gas mileage for being an SUV. I think he averaged mid 30s.

Maybe a midsize pickup like a new Ranger or Colorado.

OP
D

DuckDogDr

WKR
Rav4 or CRV would be other ones I would consider.

My cousin had a Cherokee and it was a good vehicle but he didnt own it long enough to have any major issues. It had the 9 speed transmission in it and it got good gas mileage for being an SUV. I think he averaged mid 30s.

Maybe a midsize pickup like a new Ranger or Colorado.
My step kid has a ranger and I’ve enjoyed driving it when I had to use it.. I have considered a 4 door ranger

dtrkyman

WKR
I bought my current Grand Cherokee in 2013 new, has 206k as of yesterday. Been a damn good vehicle but Jeep is hit or miss it seems.

They changed body style and options recently but think they still have the same 3.6 v6 available?

I know the off road package I have with skid plates, 4 low and such is no longer available on Laredo trim, I chose it over a 4runner due to price and fuel mileage, I was going back and forth from New Mexico to Illinois a lot at the time and guiding fishing so the better mileage made sense.

Maybe wait for the new Land Cruiser, supposed to get good fuel economy?

Old school Cherokee was my first car and I love those new grand cherokees but have heard of a few issues. Almost pulled the trigger on one but that “ghost of Chrysler” reliability thought holds me back. Have been a Nissan / toyota guy for a LONG time and just can’t bring myself to switch.

CJC73

FNG
Old school Cherokee was my first car and I love those new grand cherokees but have heard of a few issues. Almost pulled the trigger on one but that “ghost of Chrysler” reliability thought holds me back. Have been a Nissan / toyota guy for a LONG time and just can’t bring myself to switch.

what issues did you hear about?

what issues did you hear about?
Just do a Google search for Jeep reliability or look up specific make/modle on Edmunds, NADA, KBB, etc... Jeep as a brand has some of, if not the worst, reliability ratings across their entire line up. They may be good for a couple years, but if you don't get rid of them before warranty runs out, good luck.

J- Just
E- Empty
E- Every
P- Pocket

@DuckDogDr if it was me, I would follow @CorbLand advice and go with a Honda or Toyota hybrid SUV. They may not be the flashiest or have the latest technology, but their drivetrains are reliable and will get you where you want to go. The hybrids will also deliver the mileage your looking for and then some. My buddy has an early Highlander hybrid with over 300k, no rust, and never a single mechanical issue. He gets over 40mpg running trips for his ink/printer/copier business with the back end full.

1698855440306.png

Last edited:

Dos XX

WKR
If you are driving 4k a month comfort would be my top goal, especially if your back is wonky.

Short wheel base vehicles like CRV and RAV 4 can be rough, especially if they have low profile tires. A 20 minute test drive won't show you that.

My wife had an Acura MDX. It had power, great fit and finish, decent gas mileage, and reliability. However, it beat you to death on the road. We traded it for an Expidition.

I had a 95 Grand Cherokee, first gen.
Had an excellent 4wd system (Selec-Trac), straight six.
Very reliable, 17mpg was not impressive but other than basic maintenance over 120k, it asked for nothing.
You should have seen the look on the Toyota bros when I chugged up the two-tracks where they thought you needed a 6" lift and 34" mudders to get to.

I changed hunting from my 3/4 ton duramax to an older LX470 (Lexus Land Cruiser) but mileage is horrible for daily life. I'd not go back, but for a daily driver with that kind of miles I was seriously looking at the Rav4 hybrid or if you'd like bigger, the Highlander hybrid. Depending on your height, can sleep in one or both still.

You dontt even need a hybrid my wife's 2019 RAV4 xle premium gets 36 mpg (mostly hwy miles)since we've had it. They hold their value too if you ever decide to sell, jeeps will fall off a cliff

Wapiti1

WKR
I have a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. 145K on it and no issues. Good mileage for its size, and comfortable on a road trip. Only things that I have done to it are normal PM's and front wheel bearings.

Jeremy

Toyota highlander, or rav4, honda pilot or crv. You could also go the lexus/accura route with a crossover.