Its that time of year 2023 fitness goals

Goals for me this year
- Eat a lot better
- Get in much better shape
Started going to the gym and have been going for 3 weeks, decided after last years hunts were full of IT band problems and slowing the group down I would do something about it this year. Eating better has been a hard thing to do but I already feel better, mostly eat organic food and trying to cut out all processed sugars. Workouts are simple just following the free elk fit guide MTN ops published as it was a great start for someone like me who has no experience working out.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
February was a pretty good month- 149 miles (just under 30k of ascent)- 304 miles for the year. Got in a few snowshoe trips (including a really (really) tough 11 miler this past Sunday).

Completed a full (4 week) cycle of Wendler 5/3/1. Started a small mobility regime this month too.

XV36eM6.jpg

uuANW39.jpg

O5rq2pN.jpg

YhpCgsP.jpg

Only place I will post this. I'm 37 years old. I want to get in the best shape of my life by the time I'm 40. I'm 6'5' somewhere around 420lbs. My goal for 2023 is to get down to 350lbs or better. I have already been watching what I eat and recently started IF. I know I'm already down some but don't want to weigh myself for a couple months. I'm honest enough with myself to know if I'm on track. So far so good!

I know there are tons of reason to be healthier. I have all the knowledge in the world, just haven't fully committed for a few years. I've been gaining and loosing weight since I was 18. But as it relates to hunting - I've been a dedicated elk and whitetail hunter since 2014. I can hike just about anywhere but it takes too long. I've taken some game, have had a ton of encounters and have missed some shots that still haunt me to this day. I've got good gear and good spots, so the biggest thing that will take me to the next level is being in better shape!

Part of my goal is I want to be physically fit enough to go on some fall bear hunts where I backpack in with all my gear. So far I've only hunted during the day - hiking in and out of camp every morning. I know backpack hunting can be more demanding, especially when game is taken. So I'm starting to exercise more and plan on doing some weighted hikes once the weather clears up a bit.

Anyway, just wanted to share because I want to be able to post pictures of success come this fall!

So far im on track running wise and nit so great lifting. I decided to sign up for a 50k on april 1st so the weights got the back burner cause i had to ramp my running miles up a but to be on track for that. January i got 140 miles in. Feb i got 155 in. So far my longest run is 22 miles and should hopefully get a 24 and a 26-27 mile run in before cutting back a week before the 50k in a month.
As an alternate to my lifting goal right now i started doing 100x push ups, 100x body weight squats( were nobody will carch me doing them) and 100x sit ups. And mix in some stretching in between set ups.
Good work to the rest of you im enjoying taking part in this and reading other peoples progress also

OK, so I had an idea in the back of my head that I sort of turned into a goal. There is a local forest service road that I thought about trying to jog from end to end. With just a little modification of starting point I can make it a 25K jog. I just finished digitizing the route, however, and really doubt than I can complete it due to the hills in the last third of the distance. At least I doubt I can do it on the schedule I had hoped and am not sure I‘ll have the opportunity to keep building for it.
But working toward it has already been a success. The past four years I have built up through the winter and made a long spring jog before the heat of summer - each year I have made it to a half marathon distance before dropping back. But wanting to reach 25K this year has made me work a little harder and I have already completed a 13.2 mile jog and a 14 mile jog on my neighborhood roads. Will still try to get 25K but not sure it will be on the hilly forest road.
Sorry for the long post but thought if I wrote it down in public I may find a little more self motivation.

Update: Writing it down and thinking it over led me to decide to split out two goals. First, hit 25K at a jog; second, jog the length of the forest road. That way if I do have to slow to a walk up one of the last slopes I won't also have to miss out on the 25K mark. So I guess it's now a goal of 25K and then a harder 25K.

And I went out today and jogged 26K so I'm on my way.

Last edited:

P Carter

WKR
OK, so I had an idea in the back of my head that I sort of turned into a goal. There is a local forest service road that I thought about trying to jog from end to end. With just a little modification of starting point I can make it a 25K jog. I just finished digitizing the route, however, and really doubt than I can complete it due to the hills in the last third of the distance. At least I doubt I can do it on the schedule I had hoped and am not sure I‘ll have the opportunity to keep building for it.
But working toward it has already been a success. The past four years I have built up through the winter and made a long spring jog before the heat of summer - each year I have made it to a half marathon distance before dropping back. But wanting to reach 25K this year has made me work a little harder and I have already completed a 13.2 mile jog and a 14 mile jog on my neighborhood roads. Will still try to get 25K but not sure it will be on the hilly forest road.
Sorry for the long post but thought if I wrote it down in public I may find a little more self motivation.

Update: Writing it down and thinking it over led me to decide to split out two goals. First, hit 25K at a jog; second, jog the length of the forest road. That way if I do have to slow to a walk up one of the last slopes I won't also have to miss out on the 25K mark. So I guess it's now a goal of 25K and then a harder 25K.

FYI, almost all “trail runners” actually walk the uphills above a certain steepness. So if you jog the flats and walk the uphills you’re in good company. Just call it a “power hiking” uphill and you’ll practically be an ultra runner…

Also, if you’re consistent enough and give yourself long enough you can absolutely do it.
Many people each year go couch to marathon-plus distance. Just set the goal, work toward it every day, and you’ll get there for sure.

Nice job! Do you follow any program? I never did until last spring, and i followed it very strictly. I was gollowing a marathon program. The longest run i did previously was 16 miles. A half marathon beat me up pretty good. But following a actual free training plan i found online made the build up real “easy”. The long runs would get hard and id hurt a little the last mile or two but its structured to help that. Now im following a 50 miler program and a 16 mile run isnt hard at ll for me anymore now that i built the base from smarter peoples programs.

Thanks WI. Glad to see your success and hopefully you get your 50.
I do not follow a program currently. I did once a few years ago and it certainly helped me to get some understanding of my jogging through structure. I still look at them now and then to keep on track if I fall behind. My current program is loosely based on what I learn from the programs of knowledgeable good runners. But my life schedule and my slow pace often keep me from sticking to a proper program.

I tried another long jog today with additional hills to prep for my woods road. But I started dehydrated and under-fueled and died a horrible death after the hills. I made it 13.5 miles but the remaining 4 mile walk home was really cold.

WKR
These are my fitness goals for 2023:
- Set a half marathon PR (missed this by 30 seconds at an icy event in January)
- come in top 3 for my age group in either of two local paddle/bike/run races (my first time trying these)
- see 165lbs on the scale

IA Hunter

FNG
Turned 42 in December and got news from my doctor after Christmas that no person wants to hear.

I decided to get to it and went from a weight high of 2016 last year and about 206 in December. At only 5'8, I was overweight and I don't hunt worth a hoot being fat. I had always been in good shape until the last ten years or so.

My goal is to get down to 160 and chase elk or mule deer in the high country come September. Plus, I plan to do a high country backpack trip with my son in July and ride some of Iowa's Ragbrai Ride in the same month.

As of March 20, I have gone down to 174 so far and have perfected the diet, and am working hard on the workout portion. I walk 2-4 miles four days a week now and plan to add the Mountain Tough program to wrap it up for now.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
March is the bag. Pretty good month with 157 miles (over 30,000' of vert), 461 miles for the year- about 30 of the March miles either on x-country skis or snowshoes.

The bad- strain my left hamstring doing deadlifts earlier in the month. I laid off for a bit, but came back too early and strained it again doing deadlifts.

My plan going forward is to lay off the weights for a month (I could feel the strain doing heavier squats too) and just do bodyweight stuff. I've already started that the last week of the month.

I'll start April out with a bang (God willing) as I'm headed to AZ for a 6 day backpacking trip :D

egsiTC3.jpg

CT5VvgC.jpg

fpvbgjZ.jpg

m9WMLFl.jpg

JD Jones

WKR
212 miles for March. I got the bug to begin a 12 week(to start) zone 2 training program earlier in March attempting to get my breathing in check and remain between
126-134bpm for my cardiovascular training durations. I’ve heard and read of some great endurance benefits. So far I feel like I’m getting better with some days’ pace being significantly better than other days. After 12 weeks I’ll look at the data and decide if I should continue but so far I’m going further and sore less

For the remainder of the year, I’d like to be able to crest 350 miles in a given month. Maintain my body weight (200-210) and loose 3-4% body fat to get closer to 12%. I feel my weight training is pretty solid so I just want to keep healthy in that regard. Yoga frequency is still down overall. I’d like to be more consistent there

I'm a big guy always have been , 20 inch calves big thighs barrel chested , been lifting for almost a year and doing hikes and my elliptical, I've lost some weight , I've cut out sugar most carbs no pop hope it keeps falling off I'm really trying to stay focused and do something every day alternating cardio and strength training with alternating intensity , I'm a big man and I want to have a longer life for my children and to enjoy more seasons hunting with my sons than I got with my dad, headed to Montana this year for mulies I'm gonna be ready. working swing shift with three kids its hard to get it done but its possible thats for sure

Last edited: