Its that time of year 2023 fitness goals

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
IM 70.3 $379 plus $50 USAT membership fee. It’s not terrible. Where they get you is trying to sell you all the other junk (race pics packet, upgraded race experience/preferential treatment)

I just pay for the basic. I’m out to compete against myself. I’m not going win anything. I don’t need t-shirts or fancy stuff. All I want is to cross the finish line.
Right on, the 70.3 races I did cost like 200 dollars back when I was doing them, I was always happy to break 4:45 at them. USAT memberships used to be 30.00/year. Sometimes I really miss triathlons, I was all about them for 6-7 years, thats all I did, just trained my ass off, spent money on cervelo bikes, running shoes and masters swim classes. 100 mile bike rides EVERY Saturday, Masters swims every morning before work, group runs and rides a few evenings a week. I had a lot of discipline back then.

One thing for me, I wish I'd enjoyed it more when I was doing it. I was so competetive and focused on time goals that I often ended up dissapointed at races. One year at IM Florida, I had a great day and finished in 9:38 on that fast course, Instead of being happy for breaking 10 hours, I was pissed off because I was so close to breaking 9:30. Looking back, thats really dumb. Of the 8 ironmans I did, I feel like I was always dissapointed with myself instead of having a good time and being in the top 10 of my age group most of the time.

Right on, the 70.3 races I did cost like 200 dollars back when I was doing them, I was always happy to break 4:45 at them. USAT memberships used to be 30.00/year. Sometimes I really miss triathlons, I was all about them for 6-7 years, thats all I did, just trained my ass off, spent money on cervelo bikes, running shoes and masters swim classes. 100 mile bike rides EVERY Saturday, Masters swims every morning before work, group runs and rides a few evenings a week. I had a lot of discipline back then.

One thing for me, I wish I'd enjoyed it more when I was doing it. I was so competetive and focused on time goals that I often ended up dissapointed at races. One year at IM Florida, I had a great day and finished in 9:38 on that fast course, Instead of being happy for breaking 10 hours, I was pissed off because I was so close to breaking 9:30. Looking back, thats really dumb. Of the 8 ironmans I did, I feel like I was always dissapointed with myself instead of having a good time and being in the top 10 of my age group most of the time.
Your times are incredible!!!

I’m competing against myself. I don’t train with anyone. Everything I do is just me. It’s just the way I operate.

This all started because of the pandemic. I’m an ER nurse and the surges/death did a number on me. I was drinking myself into oblivion every chance I got. Finally decided I needed something to work towards besides the bottom of a bottle.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Your times are incredible!!!

I’m competing against myself. I don’t train with anyone. Everything I do is just me. It’s just the way I operate.

This all started because of the pandemic. I’m an ER nurse and the surges/death did a number on me. I was drinking myself into oblivion every chance I got. Finally decided I needed something to work towards besides the bottom of a bottle.
Thats awesome, I'm Jealous, I really miss doing triathlons, I loved trying new bicycles and running new trails, long climbs on my road bike etc. good luck with your training, let us know how your races go, racing against yourself is the way to go. I wish I'd done more of that back when I was in that game.

Do you go to slowtwitch.com??? awesome triathlon forum, like rokslide for triathletes.

judders87

FNG
Run a half marathon, hike the Knobstone trail in less than 36 hours (42 miles, 20k ft elevation change), and lose about 10 lbs.

OP
D

DuckDogDr

WKR
Short jaunt today exercising.
Did a 1.3 mile walk / jog with the dogs 103 ft elevation change in 26 minutes ..

My garmin watch officially says “POOR “ on performance 😂.. wish I could make that up.
322F4919-8FBB-4456-923A-42973303F36B.jpeg
Little bastard doesn’t know I’ve been essentially sedentary the last 3 years

FlyAK

FNG
Recover from back surgery (L5-S1 diskectomy in Nov) and get back in sufficient shape to pack out heavy in the fall.

My target benchmark would be to make it up Pikes Peak with a 55lb pack by mid summer.

Felt like this surgery gave a second chance at a good quality of life and am deathly afraid of screwing the recovery up though.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did a 1.3 mile walk / jog with the dogs 103 ft elevation change in 26 minutes ..

My garmin watch officially says “POOR “ on performance 😂.. wish I could make that up.
View attachment 503008

quite a motivator that watch :ROFLMAO:

Professor

Lil-Rokslider

View attachment 503008
That’s pretty much my work out. Time, distance, and elevation gain. But, I do that 6 more times and I am carrying a 60 lb pack. Just stay on it and you will eventually make your watch happy.

MADGRZ

FNG
__Summit 2 Peaks in GNP (Little Matterhorn and Mount Cannon)
__Hike 10 miles and 3,000+ vertical feet with 60-pound pack
__Run from West Glacier to Nyack on Boundary Trail
__Yoga with Adriene 5 days/week
__Get to a high point and glass every week this summer
__Stay injury free
__Go dry every other month

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
2023 running miles, 100 mile ultramarathon in March, maybe another in May and Mt Hood 50miler in July. Ride a lot more bike miles then last year (not many 200?) and get into a weight lifting routine

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
2023 running miles, 100 mile ultramarathon in March, maybe another in May and Mt Hood 50miler in July. Ride a lot more bike miles then last year (not many 200?) and get into a weight lifting routine
Some of the goals I am reading make we want to just give up and get back in bed. I am really envious.

Last edited:

View attachment 503008
Haha that damn watch will piss you off and motivate you at the same time!!

Slim Jim

WKR
I love to see everyone bettering themselves.
Monday- 5 mile run
Tuesday- Boxing
Wednesday- Jiu Jitsu
Thursday-Boxing
Friday- Weights
Saturday- Weights
Sunday-Weights
Loose 2 dozen arrows every day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Lahey

FNG
Resistance training - 2 days per week
Cardio - 2 days per week
Hot yoga - 2 days per week
Lose the spare tire/add some muscle

Sedentary, demanding job...two boys in travel baseball...I love to exercise but finding the time is the toughest part. How do you guys with kids do it without sacrificing sleep?

Vaultman

WKR
Cardio - 2 days per week

Sedentary, demanding job...two boys in travel baseball...I love to exercise but finding the time is the toughest part. How do you guys with kids do it without sacrificing sleep?
I only figured it out one way...

How do you guys with kids do it? sacrificing sleep!

We go to bed before 9 now and are up to exercise before 4:30. Seriously though, it is rough.

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
Cardio - 2 days per week

I just about didn’t get any exercise until my kids were grown.