Is the Sitka Ambient a must have?

Has anybody had a chance to try out the ambient hoody vs the jacket? Curious is the insulation difference makes the jacket “too hot”.

Has anybody had a chance to try out the ambient hoody vs the jacket? Curious is the insulation difference makes the jacket “too hot”.
Too hot for what? I have both the jacket and the hoody. I find the hoody to be near perfect with a light weight base down to about 60 degrees static, or down to about 50 with light active (could get lower depending on how active).
The jacket can go down lower static to about 50 static, and 30’s active. So the insulation level does bump with the jacket, it is a warmer piece.

These statements are subjective and based on using as an outer layer with a light base under. Also, this does not take into account wind. I have found the wind will cut thru both pieces equally around 13-14mph.

I can say i have skiied very comfortably with a mid weight base, ambient hoody, and a north face shell in mid to high 20’s, again wind having a bearing here. I skied this weekend with this exact set up and began to sweat with temps in the low 30’s to high 30’s. The best thing about the ambient is it moves moisture really well, so even tho i knew i was sweating, i wasn’t cold from the moisture and the wet didn’t last long at all. I brought the jacket along for after skiing and it is perfectly
Comfortable in the mid 20’s for the short distances to get to and from restaurants and cars and such stuff in normal clothes.

These two pieces are really good. I have uses for both but depending on what you do with them, it is hard to answer the “too hot” question for you.

Too hot for what? I have both the jacket and the hoody. I find the hoody to be near perfect with a light weight base down to about 60 degrees static, or down to about 50 with light active (could get lower depending on how active).
The jacket can go down lower static to about 50 static, and 30’s active. So the insulation level does bump with the jacket, it is a warmer piece.

These statements are subjective and based on using as an outer layer with a light base under. Also, this does not take into account wind. I have found the wind will cut thru both pieces equally around 13-14mph.

I can say i have skiied very comfortably with a mid weight base, ambient hoody, and a north face shell in mid to high 20’s, again wind having a bearing here. I skied this weekend with this exact set up and began to sweat with temps in the low 30’s to high 30’s. The best thing about the ambient is it moves moisture really well, so even tho i knew i was sweating, i wasn’t cold from the moisture and the wet didn’t last long at all. I brought the jacket along for after skiing and it is perfectly
Comfortable in the mid 20’s for the short distances to get to and from restaurants and cars and such stuff in normal clothes.

These two pieces are really good. I have uses for both but depending on what you do with them, it is hard to answer the “too hot” question for you.
Thank you. It sounds to me in the same exact scenarios, the jacket will be significantly warmer. I’m always cold, so sounds like the jacket will be great for me.

wnelson14

WKR
wonder why they didnt put a hood on the jacket? Wished they would have
They probably will, I can see it as marketing technique for Ambient 2.0, that way everyone will buy it again, lol, hoody on the jacket, kangaroo zipper on the existing hoodie. I’ve said this on other posts but I would guess they left off features due to supply chain/ inventory when they launched and developed the product in 2020

I used the jacket withe a core lt hoody base layer this year in Montana . Usually single digit temps in the morning and that combo worked great. Its nice to have a full zip to dump heat when hiking

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I found this in canada. Does it run the same 100g as the hoody?

Runs- as in performance? In my experience, yes- the MDWi uses 90 gram Polartec Alpha, the Ambient 100 gram Primaloft Evolve- the insulations are nearly identical (possibly different under a microscope??) in looks/feel and close enough in weight you'll never notice the difference (at least I can't)

Dkuczek

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Runs- as in performance? In my experience, yes- the MDWi uses 90 gram Polartec Alpha, the Ambient 100 gram Primaloft Evolve- the insulations are nearly identical (possibly different under a microscope??) in looks/feel and close enough in weight you'll never notice the difference (at least I can't)
Primaloft has yet to answer my emails and messages about the claimed CLO value of the Evolve series. Polartec Alpha Direct is stated as .38. They do seem identical in feel and look, just love my ambient hoody but its trashed and i've actually yet to wear it hunting....just hiking and outside with the kids.

I read your review on the piece and it was great, did you try the ambient yet? I'm worried the durability on the MDWI is the same garbage as the ambient

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks! Yup have tried them both (review coming soon on the Ambient (and three others); the MDWi is 30 D vs 20 D so might be a wee bit hardier- I haven't noticed any undo wear on either (yet)

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
I think it is absolutely a must have. Not just my favorite hunting layer, but my favorite piece of clothing that I have ever bought. No joke, its so comfortable, fits like a glove, as you wear it it just gets even more comfy, its so warm for its weight, super breathable, durable and even water resistant (to an extent) etc. etc. etc. Love it and may get another one in another color if I can find it on sale

Dkuczek

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Thanks! Yup have tried them both (review coming soon on the Ambient (and three others); the MDWi is 30 D vs 20 D so might be a wee bit hardier- I haven't noticed any undo wear on either (yet)

Oh I can't wait for it. Is the Kenai in there? I just picked one up because the ambient hoody is not durable but I wear it all the time out of hunting. Figured the Kenai would fit the bill and be able to withstand hunts/fishing

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh I can't wait for it. Is the Kenai in there? I just picked one up because the ambient hoody is not durable but I wear it all the time out of hunting. Figured the Kenai would fit the bill and be able to withstand hunts/fishing

The guys here reached out to Kuiu a couple of times to get a Kenai, but no dice unfortunately :(

rm406

FNG
I picked mine up after last season so I can't comment on durability but I can say I have been AMAZED by how warm it is for it's weight many times. I've thrown it on to go outside for a short time only to realize it's -20 outside when I looked later. Cuffs aren't my favorite but not a deal breaker. It seems to layer fine under my Jetstream but I haven't worn the combo much in the field.

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
I received my new Ambient jacket yesterday. I found it on sale and needed a duck hunting jacket so I bought it in the timber pattern. After having read such glowing reviews, I figured it would be perfect. I have a Kuiu Kenai which I really like and thought the Ambient would be about the same. It is not. It is actually cut smaller than the Ambient, feels a little bit heavier and is a pain to put on and take off with that furry material in the sleeves. It is obviously made as a layering garment as it is too tight to wear much under it. Not what I expected or need so it is going back. The Kenai is superior in my opinion as it is lighter, warmer, cut a little larger, easier to put on/take off, and much more comfortable.

sr80

WKR
I received my new Ambient jacket yesterday. I found it on sale and needed a duck hunting jacket so I bought it in the timber pattern. After having read such glowing reviews, I figured it would be perfect. I have a Kuiu Kenai which I really like and thought the Ambient would be about the same. It is not. It is actually cut smaller than the Ambient, feels a little bit heavier and is a pain to put on and take off with that furry material in the sleeves. It is obviously made as a layering garment as it is too tight to wear much under it. Not what I expected or need so it is going back. The Kenai is superior in my opinion as it is lighter, warmer, cut a little larger, easier to put on/take off, and much more comfortable.
ambient and the kenai aren't really an apples to apples comparison