I’m lost on sleeping bags.

Been reading and looking for a sleeping bag. I will be in a wall tent with a heater. Montana in October. Kansas in December and nm and Arizona on Jan. Are hunts I have planned for this year. All for a week each. Plus I will use it in Texas and Oklahoma. So weather will be all over the place. I know for sure I don’t want a mummy bag and I am 6’3” so it has to be tall. I don’t think I need to spend a fortune here as I will have a heater but what are some decent brand bags that will serve me well for a long time. And what kind of material should I be looking for.

TL406

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re just camping at the trailhead in a wall tent with a heater, bring a couple big quilts from home and call it good. They’re more comfortable to sleep under anyways and easier to pull over your head in the morning when you don’t want to get up. I always use quilts from home if I’m at a trailhead, and I have nice sleeping bags.

The guy above me (TL406) pretty much summed it up. But if you just have to have a new non-mummy sleeping bag, checkout Sportsman's Warehouse. Good bags at good prices.

Been reading and looking for a sleeping bag. I will be in a wall tent with a heater. Montana in October. Kansas in December and nm and Arizona on Jan. Are hunts I have planned for this year. All for a week each. Plus I will use it in Texas and Oklahoma. So weather will be all over the place. I know for sure I don’t want a mummy bag and I am 6’3” so it has to be tall. I don’t think I need to spend a fortune here as I will have a heater but what are some decent brand bags that will serve me well for a long time. And what kind of material should I be looking for.
I have a few different bags I use and like:

The XL version of this:

And this one in large:

I am 6’5 250. Even though the Klymits look like mummy bags, the legs are super stretchy, and there is a crazy amount of room in the XL. Unless you are going to run the heater all night, its nice to be able to cinch the Klymits up around your head when its cold. The cabelas bag is a nice wall tent bag as well.

*zap*

WKR
If your not packin it I would recommend a Wiggy's bag....for sure 100%. Reasonably priced and I have wiggys bags with hundreds of nights use that are still solid as they were when new.

If you’re just sleeping in a wall tent get a 0 degree synthetic bag. MidwayUSA had some on closeout recently, super cheap.

Marble

WKR
It just .atters of you pack on or not. If you are not packing on you can get away with anything. It's only when you oack in does weight and volume become a concern.

I use cheap bags and pads at my truck with blankets from home. It's not complicated.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

wyojdubya

Lil-Rokslider
Wall tent with a heater? Grab a low temp rectangular flannel bag and open it up if you get hot. I've had a couple Cabelas zero degree flannel bags for north of a decade that have been great for base camp. Heavy, bulky, and not nearly as warm as a quality mummy bag, but a spacious, comfy fit for a heated base camp.

*zap*

WKR
Heaters can have issues so I would have a bag that would handle the cold. December in Kansas can be cold.

BDRam16

WKR
A big ol’ flannel one lol. Guys definitely gave some options above. I have a super old Coleman flannel lined one that I used down to 0* last year in a floorless tipi with a buddy heater and I was more than comfortable.

TheViking

WKR
I have a 20 degree flannel cheap one from Cabelas that I got for like $60 for using in the wall tent. Flannel is so much nicer to crawl into than synthetic. You don’t need anything special. I have a thin fleece liner that I bought from Amazon for like $10 as well. I slip that inside - it does two things: adds warmth (don’t really need that, but you may) and you don’t get your bag all stinky and sweaty. I just toss that fleece liner in the washing machine at the end of the season to clean it. Bag stays clean.

Lots of good advice already. I wouldn’t overthink it (or overspend) if you’re in a wall tent and weight isn’t an issue.

Agree with the above.

I have a WM and a EE quilt that comes out when I’m packing in. Base camp gets the cot, fat mondoking sleeping pad and a Cabelas Mountain Trapper bag along with my home pillow.

Obviously that bag is made overseas, so a lot of stores have a similar bag with similar specs. Just go find one and buy it.

Lando

WKR
Heaters can have issues so I would have a bag that would handle the cold. December in Kansas can be cold.
I'm with zap on this one, of all the rectangular bags out there the only one I know that will be close to its temperature rating is a Wiggy's. They're bulky and heavy, but always my choice when I'm camping where my truck can go and they will last forever.

Mcolson

FNG
The best advice I can give is get on YouTube and check out Backcountry exposure. He does reviews on a lot of sleep systems and was huge in helping deciding what to get. He basically reviews anything backpacking related.

bnsafe

WKR
I freeze, even at home with the ac on. I tried a mummy bag and will never do it again rather Im packing in or not. I tried the teton 0 degree and in colorado september. Then, I bought a wiggys 0 degree. Not a pack you would want to pack very far (althought I would if I need to) but that bag and a stocking cap and I dont get cold. I dont recommend many things but wiggys are amazing