Idaho Spring Bear

I'm gonna go ahead and apologize for a very poorly worded response to you and everyone else that added as well and to @idahohikker, the 6th was my birthday and I had a few drinks and didn't word what I was trying to say well at all. I can totally see how I came across as lazy, which is not what I was trying to do or who I am, especially since I'm trying to get after a hard hunt in rough terrain. Completely my fault. I have read this thread at least twice and others, but when I read through the thread I didn't see much if any advice for June hunts, most advice seemed to go in May when there are fewer green-up areas but I can't go any earlier. I'm not out here just looking for a GPS coordinate or a rock to sit on, if I wanted my hand held through the whole hunt, I would book a closed fence hunt.

Let me try and reword what I'm saying, I'm looking to go bear hunting in 1st week of June. I can't go earlier. I've been looking into central Idaho around the Salmon river since I won't be able to bait or run hounds so will be doing spot and stalk and am planning on climbing to glassing spots and trying to stay out of grizzly country. So I'm looking at units like 19, 26, 20A, or 28. I know most of the advice here is to go earlier when there's less snow melted, but in June when more snow has melted would it be better to be chasing the melting snow line or looking at a more open country that late in the season? Also is there any good way to avoid running into hound hunters and bait stands besides hiking deeper? If those have been answered, I apologize, I missed them when I read through.
I can’t help you much too much on info that late. Unit 26 very well could still be snowbound if you are trying to get a pickup in there. Profile Summit and Elk Summit typically have snow until early July. 20A should be accessible through Warren. 19 should have good access in June. Camping and recreation will be well under way by then. The woods have been an absolute disaster with all of the new folks who have discovered the forest. At any rate, you should have a good time. Idaho is a lot of fun in the early summer.

dham6574

FNG
I can’t help you much too much on info that late. Unit 26 very well could still be snowbound if you are trying to get a pickup in there. Profile Summit and Elk Summit typically have snow until early July. 20A should be accessible through Warren. 19 should have good access in June. Camping and recreation will be well under way by then. The woods have been an absolute disaster with all of the new folks who have discovered the forest. At any rate, you should have a good time. Idaho is a lot of fun in the early summer.
Awesome thanks!

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
I have three years to plan my bear hunt. I’ll be in Europe for the next 36 months, so plenty of time to get this in order. I’m not a new bear hunter but have only ever hunted them further south (Colorado, Arizona and several Southeast states). My nephew is going to be coming with me, if he keeps his grades up, for his first western hunt. Im ambitious and he is a tough kid so I’m thinking that we may fly into the Frank Church Wilderness. He’ll be 16 and I have no doubt he can deal with the workload. I’ll be keeping an eye on this thread and wish I had seen it sooner. I used the search function before I posted my own but I guess I browsed over this thread. Planning on first week of June for 5-7 days. Lots of info and thanks to everyone that has contributed.

KG92

FNG
Hey guys. New member, longtime lurker. First of all, this thread is incredible. It almost doesn't feel fair that this much good information is just sitting out there for anyone.

I live in North Idaho (Unit 2) and 2023 is going to be my first spring bear hunt. I will be doing spot and stalk. After doing a ton of research, including on this forum, I've formulated a plan for my spring. I wanted to share it here to maybe provide some value to others, but more importantly, for the veterans in here, please try and shoot as many holes in it as possible. I want to make sure I'm barking up the right tree and not missing anything.

I'll have a free 4 days the last weekend of April. wife is out of town, and I have work off. I know that this is EARLY, but I want to get out there. I plan on driving down and camping along the Salmon river east of Riggins, and hiking into as many drainages north of the river as I can, and hopefully finding some green areas to glass. Even if I don't see a thing, I'll be happy with exploring some new country.

If that trip doesn't pan out, I'll be trying to hunt closer to home for the rest of the season, probably will be able to scrape together a few weekends in late may/early June. North Idaho is thick and I've gathered it can be tough without bait, but I won't have the time to get into any more open units, and I'd rather gain some experience in the thick country than sit at home. I do know that there are a ton of bears up here, it all comes down to just finding them. Some of the stuff east of Clark Fork, in the western part of the cabinets, intrigues me for this part of spring.

That's my plan, maybe it's not perfect, but it gets me into the mountains in the beautiful Idaho spring and as a newbie, I'm not sure I can ask for much more.

Would love to hear any thoughts!

Munkish

FNG
I just want to say this thread is super helpful. I'm still in the planning phase, but this gives me a lot of info to work from.

Hey guys. New member, longtime lurker. First of all, this thread is incredible. It almost doesn't feel fair that this much good information is just sitting out there for anyone.

I live in North Idaho (Unit 2) and 2023 is going to be my first spring bear hunt. I will be doing spot and stalk. After doing a ton of research, including on this forum, I've formulated a plan for my spring. I wanted to share it here to maybe provide some value to others, but more importantly, for the veterans in here, please try and shoot as many holes in it as possible. I want to make sure I'm barking up the right tree and not missing anything.

I'll have a free 4 days the last weekend of April. wife is out of town, and I have work off. I know that this is EARLY, but I want to get out there. I plan on driving down and camping along the Salmon river east of Riggins, and hiking into as many drainages north of the river as I can, and hopefully finding some green areas to glass. Even if I don't see a thing, I'll be happy with exploring some new country.

If that trip doesn't pan out, I'll be trying to hunt closer to home for the rest of the season, probably will be able to scrape together a few weekends in late may/early June. North Idaho is thick and I've gathered it can be tough without bait, but I won't have the time to get into any more open units, and I'd rather gain some experience in the thick country than sit at home. I do know that there are a ton of bears up here, it all comes down to just finding them. Some of the stuff east of Clark Fork, in the western part of the cabinets, intrigues me for this part of spring.

That's my plan, maybe it's not perfect, but it gets me into the mountains in the beautiful Idaho spring and as a newbie, I'm not sure I can ask for much more.

Would love to hear any thoughts!
Be sue to bring your steelhead rig! Watch out for the buzz worms, they'll be out in those lower drainages.

KG92

FNG
Be sue to bring your steelhead rig! Watch out for the buzz worms, they'll be out in those lower drainages.
Yep, I figured the snakes should be on my radar, and you’d better believe I’ll be getting a few casts in! Thanks for the insight

Snicolio

WKR
Hey guys, been trying to do some research and having a hard time finding the answer. I know you can buy out of state tags for Idaho from dwr website. For the over the counter tag, which units can you hunt for just the over the tag. Sorry if this is a stupid questions but this is the first time I am trying to do a spring bear hunt in Idaho.

trolson90

FNG
Am I reading it right that you don’t have to retrieve the meat? Thanks for the link.
Yep, that's exactly what it says. Bear meat carries a high chance of trichinosis if not properly prepared. There are a few states that do not require you to take the meat.

Last edited:

DTeeter

FNG
Hey guys, new to bear hunting and to the forum. Last year was my first year bear hunting I was in unit 48 and saw one bear in 5 days but never had a chance to get on it. I'm super excited to get after it again this year and I'm looking at going into unit 33 to hopefully get into a higher density of bears. 48 would be a lot closer to home since I'm from Southern Idaho but I'm not afraid to travel and really give myself the best possibility. Just wanted everyone's opinion on if 33 would be a good move from 48 or if I just need to make myself a better bear hunter or both. Thank you.

Truck24hr

Lil-Rokslider
Guys, wanting to do a combo turkey/bear hunt. Spot and stalk, backcountry multi day is fine. I'd prefer to stay far away from baiting. I'm open to any state and dates, and I'd prefer a more solitude experience, even if it means less likely to find a bear. I've not bear hunted out west before. Not looking for coordinates or zones, but a general idea of a region.

Rob5589

WKR
Guys, wanting to do a combo turkey/bear hunt. Spot and stalk, backcountry multi day is fine. I'd prefer to stay far away from baiting. I'm open to any state and dates, and I'd prefer a more solitude experience, even if it means less likely to find a bear. I've not bear hunted out west before. Not looking for coordinates or zones, but a general idea of a region.
There are very few zones that are bait free. Mostly panhandle area where grizz are present. The Idaho website will detail it all.

Understanding that northern Idaho is typically lower in elevation than southern Idaho but also gets more snow what is the dividing line between northern and southern. Also I understand access is based on current year snow falls and spring warm up, would access into units 17, 28, 19, 20, 20A be extremely limited by the last week of May on a typical year? I am looking at elevations in the 5000-6500ft range. Am I being too optomistic for that time of the year?

Spoonbill

WKR
Understanding that northern Idaho is typically lower in elevation than southern Idaho but also gets more snow what is the dividing line between northern and southern. Also I understand access is based on current year snow falls and spring warm up, would access into units 17, 28, 19, 20, 20A be extremely limited by the last week of May on a typical year? I am looking at elevations in the 5000-6500ft range. Am I being too optomistic for that time of the year?
A lot of it depends on the snow pack and how warm of a spring we have. I would suggest looking up the snow pack in the places you want to hunt to see if its above or below average. This may not matter if it is a warmer or colder than average spring but it should give you an idea.

I tried to get into 19A and 20A the last week of May last year and couldn’t even get out of McCall. Snow was over 3ft in Warren. They did have a lot of late snow but I hear it’s very hit or miss even on normal years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro