Idaho Spring Bear

Understanding that northern Idaho is typically lower in elevation than southern Idaho but also gets more snow what is the dividing line between northern and southern. Also I understand access is based on current year snow falls and spring warm up, would access into units 17, 28, 19, 20, 20A be extremely limited by the last week of May on a typical year? I am looking at elevations in the 5000-6500ft range. Am I being too optomistic for that time of the year?
I don’t know about 28, but the others will be difficult to get to. There is a Snotel sample site at Secesh Summit. That is on the McCall side of Warren. The locals try to have a path blazed through to Warren on Memorial Day weekend. Sometimes it is open, other times it’s not. You have to go over Warren Summit to drop down onto the SF of the Salmon to get into 20a.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Do you have any pictures of the access routes . can you describe it a bit more ?
OnX, Basemaps,GoHunt maps... are your friends for access points. So is Google Earth. SnoTel for latest snow levels.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
North facing routes through trees are where you ruin into access issues in any of the mountain units in the spring. Last year we were getting snow into June in lots of the state. The guys talking about going into the backcountry in April are the ones I shake my head at lol

seww

WKR
How's this Spring gonna be? Tons of snow in Eastern Idaho at the moment and cold too!

280Ackley

WKR
I think my brother and I are going to give unit 18 a run this spring. Haven't hunted bears there before, but excited to figure it out!
Last year in there was the worst for bears I can remember. Hunted in there last spring with my boys and didn’t see a single bear. Also spent all of October hunting for elk in there and didn’t see a single one.

Dgregory

FNG
Great thread! Does anyone have any feedback on the amount or effect of baiting units 6 or 14? I’ve been I’ve already eliminated 12 due to some feedback posted here. Wondering if anyone has any similar experience in either of these units. Want a spot and stalk hunt and I’d rather not have so much baiting that it completely ruins the hunt. I understand it’ll likely be present.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paulyester

Lil-Rokslider
When will the results be available for the Idaho controlled bear draw? I got an email from Rolling Bones saying result are available but can’t seem to find them. Figure they’re probably not out yet

When will the results be available for the Idaho controlled bear draw? I got an email from Rolling Bones saying result are available but can’t seem to find them. Figure they’re probably not out yet
You will get an email from IFG when the results are out. I wouldn’t expect them for another week or so.

tfridge

FNG
Hey Guys,
Trying to get a DIY Spot & Stalk Bear trip put together. Done a ton of research the last couple weeks and here is what I have gathered... would be awesome if any of you guys with experience would let me run some of my ideas by you
Dates: Anything before middle of may can be a toss up, end of may, early june is likely best bet for access and bears.

Units:
Unit 1: I have come across unit 1 in many articles and forums. What I have concurred is that this unit is very thick and rugged country... but lots of bears. Has anyone had any experience in this unit? It does not allow baiting or hounds, and that sounds like a huge plus for anybody looking to stalk bears. Sounds like the East side of Priest Lake is the best bet for glassing country?

Unit 4: I have also come across Unit 4 quite a bit as well. Sounds like this unit is slightly more open country and more accessible... but baiting and hounds is allowed. A few articles have noted that there are enough baiting outfits to make it difficult to kill a bear by S&S. Anyone have any experience S&S in this area?

Unit 12: This unit has come up quite a bit as well. Good harvest numbers, and appears to have good glassing country. A few other forums have noted that the upper end of the unit by the Lochsa River is more suited for S&S but has a good amount of guiding outfits.

Unit 33: Good bear numbers, but can get busy due to proximity to Boise

Unit 39: Good bear numbers, but can get busy due to proximity to Boise. Harvest numbers are likely skewed due to number of hunters.

Unit 43: This unit sounds like it is easier to move around in vehicle-wise. Lots of public land here, and borders unit 39 but is a little higher in elevation.

Have also been reading into the Frank Church/Selway Zones and they sound like they can definitely be productive

We also will likely buy wolf tags if we end up hunting units that have a population of wolves. Sounds like they hang more up in elevation, regardless of snow line. Anyone have any pointers for this?

If anyone who has hunted these areas or others in the state can contribute to my findings or speculations it would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Dgregory

FNG
Hey Guys,
Trying to get a DIY Spot & Stalk Bear trip put together. Done a ton of research the last couple weeks and here is what I have gathered... would be awesome if any of you guys with experience would let me run some of my ideas by you
Dates: Anything before middle of may can be a toss up, end of may, early june is likely best bet for access and bears.

Units:
Unit 1: I have come across unit 1 in many articles and forums. What I have concurred is that this unit is very thick and rugged country... but lots of bears. Has anyone had any experience in this unit? It does not allow baiting or hounds, and that sounds like a huge plus for anybody looking to stalk bears. Sounds like the East side of Priest Lake is the best bet for glassing country?

Unit 4: I have also come across Unit 4 quite a bit as well. Sounds like this unit is slightly more open country and more accessible... but baiting and hounds is allowed. A few articles have noted that there are enough baiting outfits to make it difficult to kill a bear by S&S. Anyone have any experience S&S in this area?

Unit 12: This unit has come up quite a bit as well. Good harvest numbers, and appears to have good glassing country. A few other forums have noted that the upper end of the unit by the Lochsa River is more suited for S&S but has a good amount of guiding outfits.

Unit 39: Good bear numbers, but can get busy due to proximity to Boise. Harvest numbers are likely skewed due to number of hunters.

Unit 43: This unit sounds like it is easier to move around in vehicle-wise. Lots of public land here, and borders unit 39 but is a little higher in elevation.

Have also been reading into the Frank Church/Selway Zones and they sound like they can definitely be productive

We also will likely buy wolf tags if we end up hunting units that have a population of wolves. Sounds like they hang more up in elevation, regardless of snow line. Anyone have any pointers for this?

If anyone who has hunted these areas or others in the state can contribute to my findings or speculations it would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Search this thread for "Unit xx" and you'll find some info that's helpful. There's a great writeup from Elkster12 about his experience in Unit 12 that made me take it off my list. do the same with each unit you're looking at.

Hey Guys,

Units:

I can't speak to Units 1,4 and 12. I haven't spent a lot of time in there.
Units 33.39 and 43 are obviously closest to the largest urban area in Idaho. 33 and 39 are both heavily baited. I'm not sure how 43 is in those terms. There are quite a few dedicated bear hunters based in the Boise area and they put the time and effort in it. Mid May does pose access problems. End of May/ beginning of June has it's own problems as well. Idaho gets pretty dang busy in the woods (especially close to roads) towards the end of May.

BrentH

WKR
I am also curious about unit 6. My son and I have whitetail tags for this Fall, so I am planning to make a scouting trip mid-June. Scouting will be our primary focus, but also plan to pick up a bear tag.

Dgregory

FNG
Bump for any feedback on the level of baiting going on in 14 or 6. Thanks!

sneaky

"DADDY"
If it's a unit open to baiting, there'll be plenty of baits set up in the unit. That's true for any unit in the state with maybe an exception for some parts of the wilderness units. Even there the outfitters will be running baits.

Dgregory

FNG
Sneaky, thanks for the feedback! Time to just pick a unit and give it a shot.

MHWASH

WKR
Unit 6 has lots of access, but also lots of logging activity both fresh and old. These can be a blessing and a curse.